2015 Admissions General

Maryland was my top choice heading into the application season, so I am fairly certain yes. However, based on my results at similarly ranked schools, my guess is that I ultimately won't make the cut, but then again you never know. How about you? How does Maryland fit into your school choice?

Right now it's between Maryland and George Washington (I was rejected by Hopkins and accepted by Washington).  I was only able to apply to Statistics/Biostatistics programs in the DC Metro area due to family/personal reasons. Maryland offers a concentration in Applied Statistics, but their statistical research options/course offerings are limited as compared to George Washington, so I'll probably go with GW assuming my source of funding pulls through.  

Right now it's between Maryland and George Washington (I was rejected by Hopkins and accepted by Washington).  I was only able to apply to Statistics/Biostatistics programs in the DC Metro area due to family/personal reasons. Maryland offers a concentration in Applied Statistics, but their statistical research options/course offerings are limited as compared to George Washington, so I'll probably go with GW assuming my source of funding pulls through.

When did you hear back from Hopkins?

I don't know if the choice should be that clear just because it's cheap. While I agree finances matter, what you really care about is return on investment (ROI), which one can define as your discounted future earnings as a percent of your cost of education. Maybe the median-career salaries are identical, but I would bet my hat that the first ten of so years you would be paid more at Michigan or Harvard than at Buffalo. Furthermore, you're probably more likely to get a job upon graduation at those schools than at Buffalo. I'm not saying take out debt for sure, but it's something to think about. I would call Buffalo and ask them the following questions:

1.) What percentage of students receive jobs by graduation?
2.) What percentage of students receive jobs within a year of graduation?

3.) What is the average salary?

4.) What types of placements are there (e.g., Big Pharma firms or small, unknown firms).

This might help your decision. If they claim they do not carry this data or just do not share it with you, this should raise a red flag. Tread carefully.

Anyone still waiting for UW Statistics Masters?

I'm waiting to hear back from UW's M.S. program. I am not too hopeful at this point. I emailed them, and this is the reply I received:

"Your application is reviewed.  A first round of offers to our MS program was sent out but we do expect to make further offers at a later time.  We expect to conclude the admissions process in early May."

Pretty lame considering that I need to let the schools know my final decision by April 15th...

trigga, there's a huge demand for people with advanced knowledge of statistics; I doubt you will have any problem finding a job once you have your masters, regardless of where it's from. Since you want to go into industry, if I were you, I'd go with the Buffalo option.

If the market was any different and statistics jobs weren't so plentiful, then Harvard would make more sense. As it is though, it may take you 2 weeks to find a job with a Buffalo degree instead of 1 week with a Harvard degree. Not worth the additional funds i.m.o.

Edited by Ellies

Even beyond that - given the minor difference in the market, if you're a WNY lifer, it may make sense to just go to Buffalo. I have pretty strong Buffalo connections and understand that many people from the area would pretty strongly prefer not to leave - it's not crazy to take Buffalo if you're passionate about the area and want to work there after completing your MS, although it would probably hamper you if you elected to go to PhD after completing your Masters'.

I emailed NYU Stern's PhD in Statistics program to get a status update and found out that I didn't get in.

So I've decided to attend CUNY's PhD in Computer Science in the fall. I'm finishing up my MS in Statistics this summer so it will be an interesting transition. I think the most ironic part is that I'll be doing a PhD in Comp Sci when I've never taken a computer science class.

I'll be turning down Stony Brook, so if anyone is on the waitlist there, good luck!

Can someone knowledgeable in biostatistics departments help me out?

Right now I'm trying to decide between U Penn and U Minnesota for a Biostatistics MS. Neither of them gave me funding (my advisor told me to email around and see if I can get anything from either of them though), but Penn is close to where I'm at school now and would keep me close to my significant other. However, Minnesota seems to be higher ranked everywhere I look. Would it be foolish to turn down Minnesota for Penn? Is Minnesota much better? My ultimate goal is industry right now, but I don't want to rule out a PhD in the future. Has anybody had success with finding funding by emailing people?

Can someone knowledgeable in biostatistics departments help me out?

Right now I'm trying to decide between U Penn and U Minnesota for a Biostatistics MS. Neither of them gave me funding (my advisor told me to email around and see if I can get anything from either of them though), but Penn is close to where I'm at school now and would keep me close to my significant other. However, Minnesota seems to be higher ranked everywhere I look. Would it be foolish to turn down Minnesota for Penn? Is Minnesota much better? My ultimate goal is industry right now, but I don't want to rule out a PhD in the future. Has anybody had success with finding funding by emailing people?

Hi moving_up. I'm actually currently making the same choice but for their PhD programs in biostat. I've also seen Minnesota ranked higher, but on US News the difference is pretty minimal (i.e., for biostat departments they are 6th and 7th respectively, separated by 0.1 on the survey score). Based on that I don't think it would be "foolish" by any stretch to turn down Minnesota for Penn, but I'd be interested to hear if you've seen more significant rankings differences than the US News rank. 

I'm also not sure how much of a role this plays for the masters program, but Minnesota has some specific strengths over Penn (while Penn is arguably slightly more well-rounded). Specifically, from what I've heard Minnesota is very strong in clinical trials and bayesian methods (especially those used in clinical trials). There you would likely get a chance to take a course taught by Brad Carlin, who is very well-known in those fields.

I'd love to hear more thoughts from you and other people though. I'm leaning slightly towards Penn at this point, but I still don't have as much information as I'd like.

For the MS, I don't think it will make a bit of difference which one you attend.  They are both great schools; go where you want to.

For the PhD, if you want to go into academia, I think Minnesota pretty universally considered the better department.  If you're interested in Bayesian statistics, Minnesota is the clear choice.  If you really want to live in Philadelphia or there is a faculty member there that you are positive you want to work with, choosing Penn might make sense.

Edited by bayessays

I'm waiting to hear back from UW's M.S. program. I am not too hopeful at this point. I emailed them, and this is the reply I received:

"Your application is reviewed.  A first round of offers to our MS program was sent out but we do expect to make further offers at a later time.  We expect to conclude the admissions process in early May."

Pretty lame considering that I need to let the schools know my final decision by April 15th...

Yeah, same here. I'm sitting on another offer but UW is my top choice.

• 2 weeks later...

I see that rejections/acceptances have been rolling out from University of Maryland's AMSC program, but I have still yet to receive anything.  Anybody else in the same boat?   

I see that rejections/acceptances have been rolling out from University of Maryland's AMSC program, but I have still yet to receive anything.  Anybody else in the same boat?   

Yep, my application is still under departmental review according to the online application site.

Yep, my application is still under departmental review according to the online application site.

Either we are still being considered or they're staggering rejections just because.  Just out of curiosity, which concentration did you apply to?

Either we are still being considered or they're staggering rejections just because.  Just out of curiosity, which concentration did you apply to?

Applied Math.  I emailed the director at some point mid-march, and I was simply told that the department would get back to me soon.  

Applied Math.  I emailed the director at some point mid-march, and I was simply told that the department would get back to me soon.  

I see that there were two rejections just posted, yet I still don't have a decision.  5 days left...  :wacko:  :unsure:  :(

I am in the same boat. No words from UCLA either.

Maybe you're on their ordered waitlist. They emailed me a few days ago telling me I was waitlisted and asked if I was still interested in the program.

Maybe you're on their ordered waitlist. They emailed me a few days ago telling me I was waitlisted and asked if I was still interested in the program.

I think you should choose Penn State or UCLA.