2015 Admissions General

Probably due to the fact that results seem to be coming in very slowly this year. I heard back from A&M almost two weeks ago now and not a single word from any other school. Thus far, of the 17 schools in my list, I have only seen results on TGC from A&M, UCLA, and Northwestern (only interviews and only international students). I hope I hear back from other schools soon before I have an anxiety attack. UMich rolled out around this time last year, so I hope there's some autocorrelation there because it's my first choice.

Same situation. I've been accepted to A&M and Ohio State. I'm really hoping to hear back from Michigan soon. It's also my first choice. Some info from CMU would be nice too,

Edited by TenuousAtBest

I applied for the MA since I thought they didn't take undergraduates into their PhD program straightaway anyways. Seems like those who applied for the PhD straight from undergrad got a different email since the other result on the search wrote down MA/PhD funded.

Dang I applied to MA too but didn't get a letter yet.. hope they send out letters in waves though since in the previous email they said the result will come out between mid-Feb to early March.

Edited by lisa8191

I feel like a kid anticipating my next birthday party. There's gonna be cake, ice cream, presents, and hours on end with my awesome friends*! Yes!! Wait, what's that asterisk? 

*Parents are not obligated to tell you when your birthday party will occur or where it will be held. They are also under no obligation to actually hold your birthday party, so you could just be stuck in a paralyzing loop of anticipation, misdirection, and generally crippling anxiety

No!!!! This is going to be the worst b-day ever. 

Edited by Anakin

It's kind of interesting how competitive the UT Austin (pretty new) Statistics program is. I see lots of rejections. I guess when you put some form of the word data science into a program's name it becomes exponentially more competitive.

Anyway, sorry to you guys about Stanford. @MLHopeful: at least you already have one very good school on your list. Congrats on Washington. I applied to Chicago too, but their program out of their b-school instead of their statistics program. Speaking of which, anyone have any info on that at all? It seems to be pretty small and it is not ranked, but the professors seem quite prestigious and the posts on TGC make it seem like admissions are quite competitive.

I applied to Chicago too, but their program out of their b-school instead of their statistics program. Speaking of which, anyone have any info on that at all? It seems to be pretty small and it is not ranked, but the professors seem quite prestigious and the posts on TGC make it seem like admissions are quite competitive.

Small is an understatement; as far as I know they only take 1, maybe 2 people per year. I think that also means that it actually is quite competitive. I've heard good things about it though. I would think that it could be a bit lonely, but you have access to good faculty, there's a lot of faculty support, you have quite a bit of freedom to customize your curriculum, and because it's in the business school the funding is fairly generous. You also get at least some access to classes in the Statistics department.

On the other hand, keep in mind that it is Econometrics and Statistics. So there's going to be more of an emphasis on the Econometrics part than a traditional Statistics program, which can be either a good or bad thing depending on your interests.

Edited by ar_rf

Yes, an ex-coworker of mine just texted me.

Thanks for letting us know. I had an interview a couple of days back. I wouldnt say it was a great interview. Fingers crossed.

Small is an understatement; as far as I know they only take 1, maybe 2 people per year. I think that also means that it actually is quite competitive. I've heard good things about it though. I would think that it could be a bit lonely, but you have access to good faculty, there's a lot of faculty support, you have quite a bit of freedom to customize your curriculum, and because it's in the business school the funding is fairly generous. You also get at least some access to classes in the Statistics department.

On the other hand, keep in mind that it is Econometrics and Statistics. So there's going to be more of an emphasis on the Econometrics part than a traditional Statistics program, which can be either a good or bad thing depending on your interests.

Thanks for the info! So I don't like my chances for that particular program then haha. I would be very interested though--my undergrad was in economics and I currently work as an RA at the IMF, so my experience with econometrics actually exceeds that of statistics.

Thanks for letting us know. I had an interview a couple of days back. I wouldnt say it was a great interview. Fingers crossed.

Actually, I forgot to mention this was for biostats.  I just noticed you applied to the stats program in your signature.

I got a call last night from a University of Michigan Biostatistics professor asking me if I was still considering their PhD program. It looks like they will be deciding on funding in two weeks or so. It was nice to hear from them, as they're amongst the last of the major biostatistics programs to decide on interviews/admission this year. 

I got a phone call from Michigan saying they are trying to decide how to fund me (asked about research and teaching experience) and that I would receive more info soon

Is this for biostats or statistics?