Yale MFA 2015 !!!

MovingTarget22

Congrats!

Do anyone of the accepted people mind posting their portfolios? Mainly cause I'm curious to see what I can learn from you guys!

(^Do people get offended when asked?)

Edited by Anna12

For all of those vying for the Yale program - I'd love to know your thoughts on Yale and debt.  Would everyone opt for the Yale degree at $116,000 versus one of the other top tens - UCLA, Tyler, UT Austin, if it were fully funded plus stipend?  I know Yale feels like the holy grail of MFAs, but I also hear from many who have much more insight than I do into the art world, that just like any other program, some students thrive after graduation, and many others don't.  Of course having to make this decision would be a nice problem to have!  Would love to hear if anyone else is mulling this over as they prepare for their interviews.

For all of those vying for the Yale program - I'd love to know your thoughts on Yale and debt. Would everyone opt for the Yale degree at $116,000 versus one of the other top tens - UCLA, Tyler, UT Austin, if it were fully funded plus stipend? I know Yale feels like the holy grail of MFAs, but I also hear from many who have much more insight than I do into the art world, that just like any other program, some students thrive after graduation, and many others don't. Of course having to make this decision would be a nice problem to have! Would love to hear if anyone else is mulling this over as thtakingey prepare for their interviews.

I only applied to YALE because I made up my mind early that if I was going to take a risk pursuing art it should be at the school of my dreams. Clearly we are all not going to be successful artists its just not possible. YALE isn't some magic ticket for success. Even though people may believe it is. I don't mind the debt because I want access to an institution that is very interconnected, tight knit, and prides itself in not only having amazing facilities and staff but has also produced some of the most intellectual and innovative artists I have seen. We all have choices, if failure is something you're concerned about why apply? If debt is a concern, why attend? We are all taking risks in this field and for me that's part of the appeal. Will it pay off, who knows but I speak for myself when I say it is a risk I'm willing to take. I personally wouldn't trade it for a full ride at any other school. Edited by MovingTarget22

Good to hear your thoughts Moving Target.  I completely understand where you're coming from.  I'd say my consideration is less about a fear of failure, and more about the question of the many different routes to success.  At the end of the day, it's about the work, whether or not you're coming out of the hottest program.  For me the real allure of Yale is the access and exposure to the most interesting minds, both within and outside of your chosen field of study.  This is the invaluable piece of the picture from my perspective.

That said, if one were taking on serious debt to attend this, or any other program, it could definitely affect your ability to build your career in a focused, unfettered way, post graduation.  I'm just trying to keep the long game in mind, even within the excitement of the possibility of this dream program!

Edited by technotronic

keep in mind that Yale has a need-blind admissions process. As far as I understand, unless you come from a family that has a considerably high level of income, you won't pay anything near the full cost of attendance. Other top programs come to mind as being much more offensive in this regard.

I chose not to apply to yale because it was too much like my undergrad when I visited.  Before that I was all about it.  Still a great school though. and congrats to everyone who got interviewss

For all of those vying for the Yale program - I'd love to know your thoughts on Yale and debt.  Would everyone opt for the Yale degree at $116,000 versus one of the other top tens - UCLA, Tyler, UT Austin, if it were fully funded plus stipend?  I know Yale feels like the holy grail of MFAs, but I also hear from many who have much more insight than I do into the art world, that just like any other program, some students thrive after graduation, and many others don't.  Of course having to make this decision would be a nice problem to have!  Would love to hear if anyone else is mulling this over as they prepare for their interviews.

biggest misconception about yale: that most people pay full price. yale is funded based on need. a lot of people (most) go to yale for no tuition and living expenses, though for most people there are some loans - but usually not for tuition. 

a lot of the schools you listed, you would still take out loans for. UCLA is not fully funded. I am pretty sure UT Austin isn't either.

biggest misconception about yale: that most people pay full price. yale is funded based on need. a lot of people (most) go to yale for no tuition and living expenses, though for most people there are some loans - but usually not for tuition. 

a lot of the schools you listed, you would still take out loans for. UCLA is not fully funded. I am pretty sure UT Austin isn't either.

exactly! Thanks for stating this. Its Yale were talking about. People don't even consider how much money is circulating into Yale through the alumni base alone, not including all the other resources. Not saying it isn't expensive but I doubt people are taking out as much money as perceived.

Say what? I was totally under the impression (from these forums and elsewhere) that UCLA was fully (or mostly) funded and also provided a stipend for living expenses.

Does anyone friggin know this???

Edited by willenium

Say what? I was totally under the impression (from these forums and elsewhere) that UCLA was fully (or mostly) funded and also provided a stipend for living expenses.

This is what I was told as well, from reliable sources.

Don't know about UCLA.

With UT Austin, being a Texas University, I know that they really like people from Texas and favor them in both admissions and funding. This isn't always the case, but they like to take on Texas residents. 

Sort of. If you are in-state when you apply, it gets close. BUT if you are out of state you still have to pay out of state tuition (which was like 5g when i applied). Incoming diversity fellowships are 1 year. Also bc of the California State budget the UC system can't guarantee funding for more than 1 year so you don't know what both years will be. Feel free to PM me for more info..

• 3 weeks later...

So how did everyone's interviews go?  Sculpture faculty and students were great.  Challenging interview questions that were really engaged with the work, but only in an open and generous way - my perspective / experience.  So many things I wish I'd said in hindsight, but otherwise felt ok (I hope!).  It was definitely my most challenging interview so far, but also solidified my interest in the program.

I would love to see everyones work from this thread. I'm not applying until in a couple of years but reading about everyone's process is fascinating. It would be a privilege to see people's work. Congrats to those who got in!

I didn't even apply to Yale. It's probably a good thing too; I don't think i was ready from the responses I have gotten from other schools.

Some seem very enthusiastic but other 'top schools' like Yale I have gotten interviews for, but they seem to think I am 'just not quite there yet'.

I have thought about trying to apply to Yale next year as a transfer, but I am unsure of the transfer process. :/

I didn't even apply to Yale. It's probably a good thing too; I don't think i was ready from the responses I have gotten from other schools.

Some seem very enthusiastic but other 'top schools' like Yale I have gotten interviews for, but they seem to think I am 'just not quite there yet'.

I have thought about trying to apply to Yale next year as a transfer, but I am unsure of the transfer process. :/

When where you able to speak with Yale regarding your work. Sorry, you can't "transfer" to Yale, this is very common with most MFA programs, they usually don't accepted transfer credits.

When where you able to speak with Yale regarding your work. Sorry, you can't "transfer" to Yale, this is very common with most MFA programs, they usually don't accepted transfer credits.

Oh so transferring would be like starting fresh? Dangggg crap. lol . Yeah I don't know if that's worth it then :P

In most situations, transferring (which I wouldn't even refer to as transferring, since there's no official process to do so) graduate programs isn't looked upon too favorably. That being said -- don't settle, and apply to school 2-3 times if necessary until a situation "feels right".

In most situations, transferring (which I wouldn't even refer to as transferring, since there's no official process to do so) graduate programs isn't looked upon too favorably. That being said -- don't settle, and apply to school 2-3 times if necessary until a situation "feels right".

I guess I just didn't really think much of it since my sculpture professor (I am a painter, but he's married to my painting professor and I had to take some 3D classes)  transferred his first year of his MFA . *shrugs*

I figured it wouldn't be simple, but definitely not impossible.