Yale MFA 2015 !!!

MovingTarget22

I see that a few of you have participated in Yale interviews,  but have included very little details regarding the interview process and experience, this is the opposite from other Yale related forums from the previous years. Hope you guys find the time to let us in on what went on during this years Yale interviews, as Yale has a very unique interview process. 

Anyhow, I have taken the time too look over Yale student work, and was disappointed. The quality of work was not exciting, and seemed rather primitive compared to many top MFA programs student work I have looked at. I mainly viewed Yales first and second years painting and printmaking students; which supposedly be the most competitive for admissions. 

Maybe it's me, but does anyone feel the same way, I know it's  my opinion--just was wondering what others felt. 

I see that a few of you have participated in Yale interviews,  but have included very little details regarding the interview process and experience, this is the opposite from other Yale related forums from the previous years. Hope you guys find the time to let us in on what went on during this years Yale interviews, as Yale has a very unique interview process. 

Anyhow, I have taken the time too look over Yale student work, and was disappointed. The quality of work was not exciting, and seemed rather primitive compared to many top MFA programs student work I have looked at. I mainly viewed Yales first and second years painting and printmaking students; which supposedly be the most competitive for admissions. 

Maybe it's me, but does anyone feel the same way, I know it's  my opinion--just was wondering what others felt. 

I personally was really impressed with the sculpture student work, both first and second year.  Really into it actually.  This was a big reason I was so interested in the program.  Haven't reviewed painting / printmaking as thoroughly though.

Interview process for sculpture was different than for painting, and I imagine all of the other departments.  We had to prepare a 15 minute presentation which was given to both faculty and first year students.  And then the students left, and it was just you and the faculty for the remaining 25 minutes.  There were some basic questions - why grad school, why Yale?, same as anywhere else.  And then it got into pretty involved conceptual conversations about your work.  I also had some practicality questions in terms of how is this program going to work for you life-wise, and in terms of the nature of your practice.  This was specific to my background, and the fact that my work is context specific.  So basically it was a very individual and specific conversation.  There were six full-time faculty members present in the room.  As far as the format, all this info came with the invitation to interview letter that we all received, so no surprises really.

Sounds like it's not the school for you. 

Hi!! Congratulations to all who were interviewed or accepted!!  I am looking to apply to Yale next year for painting/printmaking- For those who were interviewed---do you mind sharing your work/interview experience? Thank you!! :)

I think it's easy to judge a book by its cover. Let's not forget the importance of community within grad school. I know many of the students in the program, and most of them are creating highly innovative and experimental work but beyond that they are intellectually solid. Yale really emphasizes its "ivy" league status when it comes to the importance of research while creating art. I think those are other factors to think about, not just the art. If that doesn't suffice then surely your looking into the wrong program.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I interviewed and am going in the Fall for Painting!

Here are things I learned that weren't obvious going in:

1)  There is need based funding.  It is not unlimited though, I am broke but will have to cover 5K of tuition plus health care.  Still this is great.  BUT, if you have wealthy parents either you or they will have to pay, regardless of your age or weather your parents will actually cough up.  You can TA the second year, I also hear the second year students get first dibs on their funding.

2)  If you get an interview it will be a HUGE pain in the ass, especially if you're coming from far away.  For painters you have to transport 6 paintings and 6 drawings, and then leave them there and either pick it all up again, or arrange for someone to do that and ship it back.  I respect their interview process though. It gives them a picture of how you handle everything.

3)  Everything about the interview trip is important. You show up on interview day with your work, and before the interview are given an empty classroom to hang it with the help of 1st year students in your program. About 15 minutes before the faculty come in from the other room to interview you.  Keep in mind the 1st year students also get a say in your acceptance, they're tired and bored of working all week, so try to be chill and nice to them even if they hang your work crooked.  The interview was 2 of the faculty.  They seemed tired but I tried to keep it light.  I read a book of interviews with artists in the days before hand, and I was struck by how un-didactic and chill these artists were, and tried to keep the same vibe.  Don't run your mouth with a pre-prepared rant, don't spew jargon, pay attention to what bores them or interests them and try to respond like a human being.  If they go into jargon try to run with them but don't rabbit hole.  Smile and make a joke if you can. You then leave your work there so that all the faculty and 1st years can review it as a group, and pick it up the next week.

4)  Spend a few days there.  I came on a Thursday, interviewed Friday, and left Saturday AM.  It turned out Thursday night was $1 Beer Night at the bar by the studios and it was an opportunity to meet a few people and at least get an idea of life there.  I have no idea if hanging around with people a bit helped, but it might have.  It at least gives you a good idea of the school which is especially important if you get into more than one program and have a tough decision to make.

5)  The type of artist they seem to like is specific, and I think it may apply for sculpture too.  At first I was a little baffled by some of the people there, but then realized what they all have in common. Most people there seemed to make a lot of stuff.  If you are the type to work on one project for a whole year, if you struggle to fill a portfolio with 20 works, then it is not the school for you.  They want people who work hard and do a lot and aren't afraid to make failures, and try new things.  I'd say bring variety to your portfolio and what you take to an interview.  

6)  New Haven seems like a good location.  It is relatively cheap, has close transport access to NYC, but has enough remove to allow an incredibly tight focus inward on the art school.  The school itself's resources are vast and open to you, from gyms, libraries and ceramics to mental health services etc.

7)  The students there seemed awesome and very focused into the program.  I've spent time around various MFAs and in various places, and I feel like some schools the students are distracted by their surroundings but here it seemed focused

I haven't gotten there yet so I could be full of shit!

Did any of you guy go to the Yale open house last fall, how was it? Thinking about going, but think it will be a tease, considering how low the acceptance rate is at Yale. I know it will be helpful and possibly an investment (ex; flight,hotel) Or should I save my money and wait into I actually get invited for an interview, (if ever)

Thoughts...