Blatant typos in email from POI: worry/ndb?

bookofkels_

Been in contact with at least one professor at all the schools I'm applying to for a while now, and noticed in one of the most recent emails some really basic spelling errors and grammatical typos. Obviously I proofread my emails to them a million times, and they've not been doing the same. This is the first time I've noticed it, so they were probably just in a rush that day.

Please tell me I'm reading too much into this, and that it does not mean my POI does not care about me/they are a sloppy careless person. They are human after all, just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

People email from smart phones a lot these days—the Chair of my department sends me emails full of typos all the time, and I am pretty sure it is just his being in a rush/predictive text. He got a phd in English from Oxford and postdoc at Stanford—i.e. he is no dummy. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I also immediately thought of smartphone typos. I send emails from my phone all the time and have to proofread them multiple times because I often find mistakes that I would never make on a computer.

Yeah, professors spend less (no) time proofreading than you do. Typos happen. Just like you don't want your typos to be overanalyzed, I would do the same with others' typos. It happens that you start writing something, then decide to change the sentence, but something from the previous version survives where it shouldn't. Or that something was autocorrected the wrong way, or that you simply (gasp!) had a typo you didn't notice that *wasn't* autocorrected. It's just a typo, I would not worry.

• 1 month later...

Have had numerous profs communicate with typos - in undergraduate and through the graduate application process.

My personal favorite signature one prof had was "send from my iphone to the NSA. From the NSA to you"