Anyone applying to Yale?

Josh J.

Hello Everyone,

Just curious who is applying to Yale, and what you wish to study there?

I am interested in Late 19th/Early 20th Century American History, specifically the social and religious history of World War I.

Hi! I also applied to Yale. Interested in the Cold War, transnational history, European-Latin American connections, solidarity movements.

I'm not sure how the interview process works, I'm from Europe so I doubt they will call me for an interview..

Edited by Eline

I've applied to Yale, but in the Religious Studies department (essentially because that department was a better fit than history). 

As it happens, I'm familiar with the admissions process for both religious studies and history -- I have a former colleague from my time at UofC who is now in the History department over there and I spoke to 4 professors, including the Religious Studies chair. The way it works is on professorial nomination. The professor or professors you proposed to work with nominate you for admission, then your application goes to an adcom and is ranked against other candidates.  What seemed to be most important was language preparation, your writing sample (the book review for history as well), a clear SOP, and the recs. The MOST important thing they look for is candidate "fit." 

Then there's the whole thing about subfields within the department. At least for the Religious Studies program (and I know the history program has subfields, but I'm unsure if they do admissions exactly like this), the way admissions is set up makes for unsuccessful applicants who want to do cross-disciplinary work. They evaluate by subfield and want approximately 1-2 people from each subfield making it 10-12 total, or something like 22 total for history. 

The university requires interviews for all departments and those seem to be send out between nowish and early February. 

Thanks for the insight. Are you doing religious history, Aubstopper? If so, what area? I am in the American Religious History masters program at Vanderbilt right now, in the Divinity School. I'd rather have the PhD in history than religion though, so I applied to the history department.

I do Modern Jewish Intellectual History, though I'm by no means a "pure historian." I'm interested in taking the retrospective and examining the political/philosophical implications of the present (more of a political philosopher). I am applying to one history program, but that's more so because there's a professor who does the same things as me who happens to be in a history department. A History PhD is probably more marketable but us humanities people obviously aren't in this for the money :P

I have applied with the intent of pursuing a PhD in medieval history. I've noticed, for better or for worse, that such applicants rare to many programs. I'm hoping it means less competition for me, and less for the general applicant pool, as well! And yes, the brief interaction with the faculty at Yale that I have had focused on "fit," so I can second the Aubstopper's response.

Looking at the results search, it looks like Harvard, Emory, Penn, UMich, and others also do interviews.

I see two interviews posted for Yale so far.  I've not heard from there yet.  Has anyone here been contacted for an interview?

I'm also awaiting word on PhD app. I applied to Renaissance / History so things may be a bit different I hear. From the looks of previous year results, decisions went out (in the affirmative) around 20th February. Rejections seemed to come out afterward. I am chomping at the bit to know. 

I met with Head of Grad Studies and another relevant faculty member, had numerous emails and phone conversations. 

This is my second attempt at admissions. Last year I was denied at Yale but I gained admission to Oxford ....which was strange to say... I chose to not go to Ox due to extreme expense with children. So, this year I really hope it works out at Yale. 

Any thoughts as to the process for Renaissance / History  (combined PhD) would be greatly appreciated. 

Feel free to follow on Twitter as well.  (@travisshores1)

Congratulations to those of you who have received interview emails!

If you don't mind to share, are your interviews with the POI only or you will meet other people in the department such as the Department Chair and the DGS? Are the interviews in person or by Skype or phone?

Thank you for sharing and congrats again!

Paulxobear,

Congratulations! I bet you are excited!

Did you receive an interview request from them?

Thank you Josh!

No I didn't receive an interview request. The email arrived at my inbox less than an hour ago. But it is not official, as it states. Campus visit is March 1-3.

Edited by paulxobear

Thank you Josh!

No I didn't receive an interview request. The email arrived at my inbox less than an hour ago. But it is not official, as it states. Campus visit is March 1-3.

I'll see you there! Well, at least I hope I will. I was planning on going abroad for some language training at that time, but I really want to meet some professors and the other admitees.

Have you received the "detailed" letter on funding and teaching requirements? I'm still waiting on it, but (I think) they said we may need to wait until the 20th.

No I haven't. But the website says teaching for 4 semesters.

What's your area of research? Mine is Central-East Asia cross cultural exchange

Yes, I think my advisor recommended teaching during the third and fifth years.

Central Asia? That's actually not far from my focus. At the moment, I'm deciding between Iran-Caucasus-Russia or Iran-Central Asia. Do you work with any Central Asian languages?

Edited by Orangutan_Conservation