Stupid things you've overhead other students say....

sjoh197

I lived on campus for two years (first in dorms, second in apartment-style), and I was ASTOUNDED by the amount of kids who would bring their dirty laundry home to do it there, presumably so their moms/dads can do it. I wouldn't be so surprised if I had seen it once, but it was a relatively common thing, even once I moved to the upperclassmen apartment-style. I think we all hate doing laundry, but it's such a simple thing that you kind of need to learn to do when you live on your own...and the laundry machines were in the same building!

Hmm, I took my laundry home to wash it... But I would take it home and wash it myself! The laundry machines in my dorm were stupid expensive, they broke all the time, and people would often steal your clothes or take them out mid-cycle and leave them sopping wet in the middle of the dirty floor. Since I went home often anyways (my parents lived very close to campus), it was easier to just do my laundry at home without the hassle.

Hmm, I took my laundry home to wash it... But I would take it home and wash it myself! The laundry machines in my dorm were stupid expensive, they broke all the time, and people would often steal your clothes or take them out mid-cycle and leave them sopping wet in the middle of the dirty floor. Since I went home often anyways (my parents lived very close to campus), it was easier to just do my laundry at home without the hassle.

I can't bring them home (living abroad), but I would if I could! We can only book one hour timeslots here for washing machines and dryers, and in one hour it is impossible to get your clothes complete dry without shrinking them tremendously on the highest temperature. I often end up with clothes hanging over every the radiator on my floor to dry.

I can't bring them home (living abroad), but I would if I could! We can only book one hour timeslots here for washing machines and dryers, and in one hour it is impossible to get your clothes complete dry without shrinking them tremendously on the highest temperature. I often end up with clothes hanging over every the radiator on my floor to dry.

Reason number 17 why I moved out of my dorm and back into my parents house! Haha. I'm more of an independent person living with my parents than half the students at my school, living in the dorms getting weekly checks from their parents instead of working.

But back to the original question here, I distinctly remember a girl in one of my seminars saying that she was only applying to grad programs that didn't require writing a thesis or taking the GRE. Real high standards, gurl.

The laundry rooms at my undergrad were always suspiciously empty considering how many students lived there ... maybe they were all just bringing their laundry home! Was I the only person at school who washed (and continues to wash) their sheets and all other laundry once a week, and my martial arts uniform twice a week?

Overheard: "Why do I need to learn biology to be a nurse?"

I TA'd for Human Anatomy and Physiology, which where I was teaching was taken almost exclusively by nursing students. Quite a few of them didn't understand why the course might be important for their future career.  It was concerning.

I TA'd for Human Anatomy and Physiology, which where I was teaching was taken almost exclusively by nursing students. Quite a few of them didn't understand why the course might be important for their future career.  It was concerning.

This does not seem as much an individual failing as a pedagogical one. 

I lived on campus for two years (first in dorms, second in apartment-style), and I was ASTOUNDED by the amount of kids who would bring their dirty laundry home to do it there, presumably so their moms/dads can do it. I wouldn't be so surprised if I had seen it once, but it was a relatively common thing, even once I moved to the upperclassmen apartment-style. I think we all hate doing laundry, but it's such a simple thing that you kind of need to learn to do when you live on your own...and the laundry machines were in the same building!

During the brief time I tried out dorming as an undergrad, I also brought my laundry home. I initially went home every other weekend to visit friends and work, so I'd do my laundry on campus the weekend I stayed. It was fine the first time, but after that people would just put their laundry in the washer and not come back for hours. Almost every washer would be full of clothes and done with its cycle. Plus the dryers didn't work well, so I'd spend so much money just trying to get my clothes dry. About halfway through the semester, I started going home every weekend and I'd bring my laundry. I actually ended up doing everyone's laundry at home, not just my own.

While reading through these, I remembered something from my pre-calculus class in undergrad. Since we often had snow days in the spring semester and occasionally flood days when the snow melted, the professor would give out take-home exams if class got cancelled on a test day to keep the class on track. Additionally, she had the policy that she would drop the lowest test grade. At the beginning of class (and it was also in the syllabus), she stated that if we had more than x number of take home exams, she wouldn't drop the lowest test grade.

As it happened, we had lots of snow days, so we went past the max number of take homes to still have our lowest test grade dropped. The last test before the final was a take home (I think class was cancelled due to a water problem or something similar). Let me remind you that at this point, we already had enough take homes that we were no longer going to have our lowest grade dropped. Half the class failed it, and of those who passed, a lot of them still didn't do well (I don't know how, since it was a freaking take home test). So during our last class, the professor reminded us that our lowest grade wasn't getting dropped. Most of the class freaked out, and she agreed to drop the lowest in-class exam. Again, most of class freaked out, and a few people even said they planned on having our last take home dropped, so they didn't try on it and that's why they failed.

When she refused, a bunch of them got together and went to the Dean before the final to try to force her to drop that last take home exam. I really don't understand people.

When she refused, a bunch of them got together and went to the Dean before the final to try to force her to drop that last take home exam. I really don't understand people.

Shouldn't do people favors, they will just cross you if it means self preservation.

I hope that professor has dropped dropping test grades. Oh and "we didn't try because we thought it would be dropped" sounds so lazy and defeatist. I hope the Dean sided with her.

Edited by <ian>

My dad always has some interesting evaluations.  For example, he teaches a MARKETING Tools class, which is an elective, and he got one that said "I'm not a marketing major, so everything he taught here was completely useless and I don't understand why the teacher was teaching us this stuff."  Really?

He had a student go to the department head because she called him at home one night, and then again early the next morning, and because he hadn't returned her calls yet he was "unresponsive"