Interview Weekends

slowbrowin

How common is it for universities to reimburse you for travel? Does it mean anything (like, they really want you) or is it common practice?

It generally means the school has money and is less indictive of how much that program wants you (they're interested but it is not necessarily a soft acceptance).

I think it's generally standard operating procedure for PhD. I am not sure about the master's level though.

Actually, only some schools reimburse - it is getting more common but I wouldn't say it is the norm, yet.

Could the reimbursement occur during/after the interview weekend? I haven't been offered any reimbursement yet.

Usually, after interview weekend they mail you a check. Some schools will want the ticket stub from your plane ticket as proof you've went. Edited by yellowmint

Does anybody know the difference between Interview day and Recruitment day? Are they basically the same?

After having a phone interview, I was invited to the recruitment day for one school (social) and there is no mention of interview on that day (i.e., meals with faculty members and grad students, research lab tours, and a dinner party at a faculty's house).. I was just wondering if I should be prepared for a in-person interview, and be very formal.

Could the reimbursement occur during/after the interview weekend? I haven't been offered any reimbursement yet.

I got offered for one interview, but then I was told to book my flight ASAP. It might not be in the best taste if I try to redeem the offer ;)

(I'm a nonclinical PhD applicant)

I am awaiting emails with more details, but my POI confirmed funding for my plane and bus ride over, as well as hotel and some food. For clinical, this seems to be a much less common practice, but I'm not sure.

One of my interviews is up to $200 in travel reimbursement, I have too bring the receipts with me. The other has reimbursement for travel, free food and hotel, but not sure of the details yet. Hope this helps

I was offered up to $250 in reimbursement. Had to submit a tentative itinerary prior to the visit, and will present receipts day of. I realize I may be making too much of nothing but my nerves are on 10 right now! 

I think everyone as I received the generic official invite from the grad coordinator about 5 minutes after I got off Skype with my POI!

Hey! I see you applied for the NSF GRFP ( I did as well) have you heard anything from them??

Hey! I see you applied for the NSF GRFP ( I did as well) have you heard anything from them??

People actually put NSF results on the results search! Last year was the last day of March or first day of April, so we have a long time to wait.

People actually put NSF results on the results search! Last year was the last day of March or first day of April, so we have a long time to wait.

Thanks for the heads up! And congrats on all yr invites... Your crushin it!!