-Grad School or Bust!...or Starbucks Barista? What are your backup plans?

TXInstrument11

I have a friend currently teaching English in a town about an hour from Seoul, she knows absolutely no Korean. With a lot of programs that send English speakers to Asian countries to teach, the kids already know super basic English so you can get by without knowing their first language.

Wow, that's pretty neat. I think one of my roommates might be considering this path too - in Korea also, actually. This isn't a path I have explored very well. I should ask my roommate about her specific plans.

What do you do? That sounds like a good gig. I can't imagine anybody paying for me to do research.

I'm in industry research at the moment. When I was hunting for RAS gigs, I noted that many universities offer paid research assistant jobs, as do federal positions such as the VA. Private sector positions also open up periodically (I.e., Rand, ETS, ACT, Pew).

I'd likely just go get another job, I already have an M.A. and am leaving a rather well paid career field to pursue my Ph.D. I think I'm marketable far more in the world of paid industry than I am to graduate schools (highly technical career, significant managerial and leadership skills while working with millions in assets.). My GRE's weren't stellar, but I also was working 12 hours a day and finishing up some courses, so I pretty much went in blind. I probably should have taken them again, but I kept hearing that they really only get you past a cutoff, not in the door. Now that it's too late I tend to wonder.

I'd likely just go get another job, I already have an M.A. and am leaving a rather well paid career field to pursue my Ph.D. I think I'm marketable far more in the world of paid industry than I am to graduate schools (highly technical career, significant managerial and leadership skills while working with millions in assets.). My GRE's weren't stellar, but I also was working 12 hours a day and finishing up some courses, so I pretty much went in blind. I probably should have taken them again, but I kept hearing that they really only get you past a cutoff, not in the door. Now that it's too late I tend to wonder.

I think, for human factors, that advice on the GRE makes sense. Generally, HF programs have much smaller applicant pools than, say, social psychology. This means they can cut the BS and take more deliberate time with each application instead of having to rely on the raw numbers to sort. This may also be the case for I/O, but I am less familiar with the grad application process for them. 

In regards to HF at UCF specifically, I'm pretty positive this is true. Most of the graduate students in my lab are actually older and had significant work experience before joining, some with less than stellar GRE scores. So, don't take my word for it, but I would wager that your scores will not hold you back too much there. In fact, one of the most ambitious and successful grad students I know absolutely loathed the GRE. 

Edited by TXInstrument11

I think, for human factors, that advice on the GRE makes sense. Generally, HF programs have much smaller applicant pools than, say, social psychology. This means they can cut the BS and take more deliberate time with each application instead of having to rely on the raw numbers to sort. This may also be the case for I/O, but I am less familiar with the grad application process for them. 

In regards to HF at UCF specifically, I'm pretty positive this is true. Most of the graduate students in my lab are actually older and had significant work experience before joining, some with less than stellar GRE scores. So, don't take my word for it, but I would wager that your scores will not hold you back too much there. In fact, one of the most ambitious and successful grad students I know absolutely loathed the GRE. 

That's good to hear! I have little appreciation for the GRE as well. My scores weren't terrible, but a rigorous study plan would have certainly improved them significantly. After dropping approx. 3K on applications this year I think if I don't get in anywhere then I will go back to work and ponder it for a while. I am anxious to see what comes of UCF, I've seen in the results search that they tend to make some later offers and then at other times make very early ones, so this ought to be a fun ride. Wait lists are all the more interesting when you don't even know you are on one and are just sitting on your hands waiting for the rejection to come in the mail.

I was a barista all through college and for 2 years following graduation while getting research experience. I had no idea this was a stereotype but it works--coffee is important. Everyday that I continue to work in service, my soul thins a little, which is impressive considering I don't believe in souls. Nevertheless, if you have no research experience you probably will not be very competitive. So since research is essentially a second job (typically unpaid and very time costly) especially if you become a P.I., coffee is the right industry for attaining this delicate balance. I worked as a supervisor at starbucks for 7 years and recently switched to a small local roastery (for my mental health and way better tips!).

I was a barista all through college and for 2 years following graduation while getting research experience. I had no idea this was a stereotype but it works--coffee is important. Everyday that I continue to work in service, my soul thins a little, which is impressive considering I don't believe in souls. Nevertheless, if you have no research experience you probably will not be very competitive. So since research is essentially a second job (typically unpaid and very time costly) especially if you become a P.I., coffee is the right industry for attaining this delicate balance. I worked as a supervisor at starbucks for 7 years and recently switched to a small local roastery (for my mental health and way better tips!).

Some of the people at my school appear to use alcohol rather than coffee. They think it makes them smarter. But I've been there when it happens, the "epic conversations", and they are terrible, stupid, and nonsensical.

I'm assuming they'e already pretty fluent in the local language? I only 'know' textbook Spanish and German. I've heard of some programs where they train you before you teach. Did your friends do something like that or learn the foreign language beforehand?

not really. they just took their TESOL certification and off they went to teach English. two applied to the JET program to go to Japan and another one is in Korea. apparently if you know how to budget you can end up making some decent money when you head back home. 

As my job is education contingent, I'm just gonna put off graduation for another year while I prep for another application cycle. I feel like I've learned a ton so this time I'll be really prepared

LOL, yes to the soul-thinning part. I've worked retail before. Every time a kid knocked a perfectly-folded sweater off of a display table, I could almost feel a small piece of my non-existent soul chip off.

I also think I heard somewhere that academic researchers, out of all the professions, drink the most coffee. 

I also think I heard somewhere that academic researchers, out of all the professions, drink the most coffee. 

Is that because out of all the professions, academic researchers are the most likely to also have to work at coffee shops to secure adequate income?

I am in a similar spot (mid-20s) and I kinda gave up on clinical. To be honest, I came to the realization that I enjoy research more than practice, and while the degree prepares you for research, you're still required to do practitioner internships. I ended up leaving the clinical world as a (lower level) therapist for a research assistant position about three years ago and never looked back. 

I am a strong advocate of encouraging posters here to consider a research assistant position, but I am naturally biased :)

I love my research job so much that I feel mild apprehension about leaving it for a PhD program. I wasn't expecting to feel any apprehension at all because I knew that I wanted a PhD ever since I started taking MA classes while in undergrad in 2008. As an individual that is really passionate about research, (1) all of the research asst duties I perform have made me a more desirable PhD applicant/research asst, and (2) it gives me a new perspective on rejection (i.e., "they all rejected me? Alrighty then. I guess I will apply for that promotion and just keep doing research, presentations, and pubs.")

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Yeah, if I don't get in anywhere (and it's looking very likely), then I'm going to look for a job doing some kind of research and spend a few years working. I'll also do some volunteer work to gain clinical experience, and see if a clinical psych PhD is what I really want.