-Grad School or Bust!...or Starbucks Barista? What are your backup plans?

TXInstrument11

Note to mods: please don't move this to the "Waiting it Out" forum. What you do on your gap year is specialty-dependent [e.g. I'm not going to be working at General Electric or Siemens as an engineer to "gain real-world experience" any time soon].

Social science and humanities majors are famous for working as baristas post-graduation, a prospect all of us are trying to avoid, no doubt. So, in the spirit of conforming beautifully to tired stereotypes, what are some of the backup plans you guys are kicking around?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For me, in order of probability/preference, it's:

A - Starbucks + continue to gain experience at current UG lab  ^_^   

B - Apply for a master's degree

C - Try to get into the Army Research Lab  

D - Break into criminal justice scene --- w/o breaking & entering, of course.  :ph34r:  ;)  

E - Apply for a lab manager position at [insert Fantasy University of X]. 

F - Break into foreign affairs scene...somehow.  :wacko:  

G - Teach English overseas.

H - Become a social studies teacher.  :mellow:

I - Starbucks + Target + a Demoralizing Sense of Defeat  :( 

Bonus! Become a drug dealer.  B)

Bonus! Become an arms dealer. [cue Fall Out Boy] 

Bonus! Lose weight and become a stripper. 

78ed08fdf404f9291d07d98ef7c5a31c9c0e8650

#better-chance-than-grad-school, #starbucks-dating-tips, #barista-with-a-master's

Edited by TXInstrument11

I have MA programs as backups for PhD programs. If all of that falls through (armageddon situation), then I will probably find a job working with kids until I find a job to strengthen my resume. I've been part of a Big Brother/Big Sister type program at my college for the past four years, so working at a youth camp or children's hospital wouldn't be too bad and would partially utilize my psych degree.

I have MA programs as backups for PhD programs. If all of that falls through (armageddon situation), then I will probably find a job working with kids until I find a job to strengthen my resume. I've been part of a Big Brother/Big Sister type program at my college for the past four years, so working at a youth camp or children's hospital wouldn't be too bad and would partially utilize my psych degree.

That's a nice idea. Are you applying to Developmental? 

That's a nice idea. Are you applying to Developmental? 

Some programs. My research has focused on decision making and morality psychology (regardless of age group). So I applied to a couple different areas at different schools. (Sorry for the vagueness.) 

Some programs. My research has focused on decision making and morality psychology (regardless of age group). So I applied to a couple different areas at different schools. (Sorry for the vagueness.) 

Nah, I gotcha. I think most of us here have pretty broad interests at this point. In addition to social psych, I'm interested in criminal justice and foreign relations. 

I would freak out and die if I didn't get in anywhere -- I've been explicitly planning to get a PhD since I was 14 and this sh** better work out!! Realistically though, I probably wouldn't die :P I would probably just stay in my current undergrad lab and get more experience. I'm not willing to do an MA program, and I also don't want to uproot my life for one year to get a paying lab manager position somewhere. I might attempt to get a so-called "real job" in my hometown, but the chances of that are slim -- my most marketable skills are data analysis, but I wasn't a stats major or anything so I wouldn't be competitive.

I would freak out and die if I didn't get in anywhere -- I've been explicitly planning to get a PhD since I was 14 and this sh** better work out!! Realistically though, I probably wouldn't die :P I would probably just stay in my current undergrad lab and get more experience. I'm not willing to do an MA program, and I also don't want to uproot my life for one year to get a paying lab manager position somewhere. I might attempt to get a so-called "real job" in my hometown, but the chances of that are slim -- my most marketable skills are data analysis, but I wasn't a stats major or anything so I wouldn't be competitive.

Even though I posted it as a top option, I am wary of going after a master's as well. The grad students in my lab seem to think that's basically the default backup plan while I've heard it really doesn't improve your chances if you already have a good GPA.

- though I do wonder: would getting into a more prestigious school via a master's help?

Even though I posted it as a top option, I am wary of going after a master's as well. The grad students in my lab seem to think that's basically the default backup plan while I've heard it really doesn't improve your chances if you already have a good GPA.

- though I do wonder: would getting into a more prestigious school via a master's help?

Depending on the school, yes. I am not on AdCom, so take what I say with a grain of salt obviously, but some of the more prestigious MA programs I know have an extremely high percentage of students get into PhD programs following completion.

Depending on the school, yes. I am not on AdCom, so take what I say with a grain of salt obviously, but some of the more prestigious MA programs I know have an extremely high percentage of students get into PhD programs following completion.

Hmm...and what might those be?  ;)

It's looking increasingly likely that I'm going to be falling on a back-up plan. My SO is applying to teach English overseas so my plans are also contingent on how that goes.

Plan A is to get into a master's program. My GPA is solid, but I would be looking to gain independent research experience in an area actually related to my interests.

Plan B is to go home for the summer, try to get a lab assistant position at a nearby university, volunteer extensively, study my butt off to retake the GRE, and work as much as possible to save up for the next application cycle. I am open to the idea of moving somewhere else for a paid lab position or a job, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

For me it's apply to lab manager positions basically anywhere in the country. Otherwise I guess I could stick around my current school another year, add a minor at the last minute and put off graduation? Graduate and ask the labs I'm at to take pity on me and let me stick around, maybe submit some things for publication? Move into my parents' basement and study for the GRE all day for 6 months?

Otherwise, I could go for the Starbucks position. I'm a coffee addict already, might as well. A Chick-fil-A is being built by my house so I guess if I really hit rock bottom...

It's probably a little early for me to be dramatic.

My backup was continuing to work as a research analyst on the longitudinal datasystems that tell us social science majors grow up to be Batistas! Hah!

But I got my first acceptance yesterday ^_^

P.S. journalism and creative writing majors are much worse off

I also did that. Also other things I applied to. Also, there's always Vegas.

gambling.gif

The same thing I do every night- try to take over the world!  ;)

Seriously though: try and find theraputic work with older adults (or any work in the foeld quite frankly), take the GRE psychology test and re-apply next year.

My backup was continuing to work as a research analyst on the longitudinal datasystems that tell us social science majors grow up to be Batistas! Hah!

But I got my first acceptance yesterday ^_^

P.S. journalism and creative writing majors are much worse off

Congratulations on your acceptance!!! :) 

G - Teach English overseas.

i actually know quite a few people who are doing this to pay for their student loans. they usually move to Asia or somewhere where the cost of living is cheaper and save as much as they can while over there. 

Ideas:

• Keep working my minimum wage retail job and finish the manuscript I've been working on and submit it, then try to write another one and submit that (my advisers told me I could probably publish my senior thesis as 2-3 journal articles, because there was so much in it)
  • Applying to MA programs, perhaps even ones with rolling admissions, so that I wouldn't have to wait as long. I'm also considering getting an MA in some other field: science studies, philosophy of science, historical and conceptual studies of science, sociology, or some other philosophy degree.
  • Try to find some paid lab position in social psychology. I'd be willing to uproot, but I don't think I'd be able to find one, I don't actually have all that much research experience, unfortunately.
  • Uproot for some unpaid lab volunteer position in some program I am really jazzed about. That would be an incredible amount of risk and work for potentially limited gain; I'd have to find a job in that place, it would be very difficult.

I'm leaning towards an MA. I have almost no student loans from undergrad--I'm really broke, but I don't have loans. So I could load up on some and still be okay.

My main problem is that I function best when I can complete immerse myself in my studies, so spending another year working crappy unrelated jobs trying to work on academic stuff in my free time is just not the best way for me to go about things.

This is my second time applying to PhD programs, so if I don't get in anywhere this time, I'm going to seriously consider whether Clinical Psychology is really a career I want to do. I'm also considering taking a few years off and just working as a lab manager/research analyst/etc, but I'm already in my mid 20s and don't want to be 40 when I finally get a PhD. 

I just feel anxious because I'm really passionate about research and I've made so much progress since my days as an undergrad. Apparently, all of that progress wasn't good enough to get me even one interview with my top choices.  :mellow:

This is my second time applying to PhD programs, so if I don't get in anywhere this time, I'm going to seriously consider whether Clinical Psychology is really a career I want to do. I'm also considering taking a few years off and just working as a lab manager/research analyst/etc, but I'm already in my mid 20s and don't want to be 40 when I finally get a PhD. 

I just feel anxious because I'm really passionate about research and I've made so much progress since my days as an undergrad. Apparently, all of that progress wasn't good enough to get me even one interview with my top choices.  :mellow:

I am in a similar spot (mid-20s) and I kinda gave up on clinical. To be honest, I came to the realization that I enjoy research more than practice, and while the degree prepares you for research, you're still required to do practitioner internships. I ended up leaving the clinical world as a (lower level) therapist for a research assistant position about three years ago and never looked back. 

I am a strong advocate of encouraging posters here to consider a research assistant position, but I am naturally biased :)

I love my research job so much that I feel mild apprehension about leaving it for a PhD program. I wasn't expecting to feel any apprehension at all because I knew that I wanted a PhD ever since I started taking MA classes while in undergrad in 2008. As an individual that is really passionate about research, (1) all of the research asst duties I perform have made me a more desirable PhD applicant/research asst, and (2) it gives me a new perspective on rejection (i.e., "they all rejected me? Alrighty then. I guess I will apply for that promotion and just keep doing research, presentations, and pubs.")

I'm in a good position of having an MA (experimental psych) already, so if I don't get into a clinical program this year (second time applying to clinical already), I'm going to get a job with the federal government (research preferred, but a job is a job) or with one of the local hospitals (research or psychometry). 

Between undergrad and my masters I worked a part-time retail job in addition to a full time support worker job (continuing with the full time job would have been my back-up if I didn't get into grad school). 

Edited by FacelessMage

i actually know quite a few people who are doing this to pay for their student loans. they usually move to Asia or somewhere where the cost of living is cheaper and save as much as they can while over there. 

I'm assuming they'e already pretty fluent in the local language? I only 'know' textbook Spanish and German. I've heard of some programs where they train you before you teach. Did your friends do something like that or learn the foreign language beforehand?

I am in a similar spot (mid-20s) and I kinda gave up on clinical. To be honest, I came to the realization that I enjoy research more than practice, and while the degree prepares you for research, you're still required to do practitioner internships. I ended up leaving the clinical world as a (lower level) therapist for a research assistant position about three years ago and never looked back. 

I am a strong advocate of encouraging posters here to consider a research assistant position, but I am naturally biased :)

I love my research job so much that I feel mild apprehension about leaving it for a PhD program. I wasn't expecting to feel any apprehension at all because I knew that I wanted a PhD ever since I started taking MA classes while in undergrad in 2008. As an individual that is really passionate about research, (1) all of the research asst duties I perform have made me a more desirable PhD applicant/research asst, and (2) it gives me a new perspective on rejection (i.e., "they all rejected me? Alrighty then. I guess I will apply for that promotion and just keep doing research, presentations, and pubs.")

What do you do? That sounds like a good gig. I can't imagine anybody paying for me to do research.

I'm assuming they'e already pretty fluent in the local language? I only 'know' textbook Spanish and German. I've heard of some programs where they train you before you teach. Did your friends do something like that or learn the foreign language beforehand?

I have a friend currently teaching English in a town about an hour from Seoul, she knows absolutely no Korean. With a lot of programs that send English speakers to Asian countries to teach, the kids already know super basic English so you can get by without knowing their first language.

Edited by mb712