2015 Acceptance Thread

isostheneia

Hi,

I have been offered admission to Western Ontario and I have some worries about funding (UWO offers a financial support package of 30000 dollars per year for 4 years, but i am expected to pay tuition and fees -19500 dollars per year, for an international student- from this amount). The letter I received says that details will come only after I accept their offers. Do you have any information about stipends or additional funding possibilities? Am I supposed to live with 875 dollars per month? I would be very grateful for any info at this point!

Hi mariePhy,

First off, congrats! I think the department just says you won't know your exact final funding package until later because there are some large entrance scholarships that may only be able to awarded after you have accepted your offer (these would be added to your base funding). Your base funding package info should be available before you accept your offer.

I would echo flybottle's comment about bargining. If you are in a position to negotiate and funding is a big concern, then I would politely email the DGS explaining the situation. Worst case, they say no - it won't change your acceptance. Best case, they are able to make the offer more attractive. If you come for the visitation days, you can perhaps also discuss it with the DGS then. You will also be able to chat with other international PhDs to see how they do with funding (I'm a domestic PhD with external funding, so I'm not much help). In the summers, there are typically some RAs available that can supplement your income. International students are also eligible for external funding in the form of OGS and Vanier scholarships, although the competition is tough. It is worth mentioning that the cost of living in London is pretty reasonable. The Philosophy Graduate Students' Association has created this website for new students to help them with budgeting and planning a move to London: http://westernpgsa.ca/new-students/

Hope that helps!

Edited by hopeontelevision

I'm not a Western Ontario student, but I will just flag the "no details until you accept" aspect. If that's right-- and, frankly, I would be shocked if they really meant that-- it's a huge red flag. Bluntly, call them on that shit: it is absolutely unacceptable to prevent prospective students from making a well-informed decision, including based on financial considerations. 

I've received an offer from a different Canadian school (Toronto) in a different discipline, and they also have a very tight funding package; relative to the US, this seems to be somewhat normal. However, Toronto suggested to me that they initial offer isn't the final offer. I don't know what your negotiating position is, but finances are a very important aspect of deciding where to go, and if the program really wants to you, they should try to make the strongest offer to you that they can. 

Hi mariePhy,

First off, congrats! I think the department just says you won't know your exact final funding package until later because there are some large entrance scholarships that may only be able to awarded after you have accepted your offer (these would be added to your base funding). Your base funding package info should be available before you accept your offer.

I would echo flybottle's comment about bargining. If you are in a position to negotiate and funding is a big concern, then I would politely email the DGS explaining the situation. Worst case, they say no - it won't change your acceptance. Best case, they are able to make the offer more attractive. If you come for the visitation days, you can perhaps also discuss it with the DGS then. You will also be able to chat with other international PhDs to see how they do with funding (I'm a domestic PhD with external funding, so I'm not much help). In the summers, there are typically some RAs available that can supplement your income. International students are also eligible for external funding in the form of OGS and Vanier scholarships, although the competition is tough. It is worth mentioning that the cost of living in London is pretty reasonable. The Philosophy Graduate Students' Association has created this website for new students to help them with budgeting and planning a move to London: http://westernpgsa.ca/new-students/

Hope that helps!

Thank you for your help , flybottle and hopeintelevision. I am married and we will move out together. Given that my husband will give up a lot of things, I try to provide him some financial guarantees and to reassure him, but the offer I received (we provide you a financial package of a minimum of 30000 dollarsper year for 4 years.The exact details of your funding package will be communicated as soon as possible after you accept the offer) doesn't help me much!  I would love to join Western Ontario, but I need some garantee before accepting. I'lll try to come for the visitation day and have some answers.

Thank you again!

Did anyone else see this message go up on the results board for a few hours, and then disappear?:

"Postings (or alleged offers) about NYU Philosophy are false. We will not be making offers before the first week of March."

Wonder what's going on. The same announcement was made last year, and it seemed credible - this one wasn't deleted, and the 'offers' that came before that were deleted instead.

UPDATE: as I am typing this post... this goes up: "Why was the post deleted which read 'Postings about NYU Philosophy offers were brought to our attention. These postings (or alleged offers) are false. We will not be making offers before the first week of March' ?"

0.o *grabs popcorn*

Did anyone else see this message go up on the results board for a few hours, and then disappear?:

"Postings (or alleged offers) about NYU Philosophy are false. We will not be making offers before the first week of March."

Wonder what's going on. The same announcement was made last year, and it seemed credible - this one wasn't deleted, and the 'offers' that came before that were deleted instead.

UPDATE: as I am typing this post... this goes up: "Why was the post deleted which read 'Postings about NYU Philosophy offers were brought to our attention. These postings (or alleged offers) are false. We will not be making offers before the first week of March' ?"

0.o *grabs popcorn*

I saw that too. If the previous reports are true, then NYU indeed released earlier than they have in past years. On that basis, we would have reasons to suspect of the legitimacy of the reports. However, Ian has been in contact with someone who seems to have been admitted there, so I don't really know what is going on.

The deleted post suggested that it was from someone inside the department (it made use of the pronoun "we''). I searched for some info on their website, but couldn't find anything.

Perhaps those who have applied there might be in a better position to speculate.

Theory: Some of NYU professors wanted to call some already admitted people personally but some others in NYU didn't know this and what they knew was that they won't send official invitations until 1st week of March, so they posted the thing.

Theory: Some of NYU professors wanted to call some already admitted people personally but some others in NYU didn't know this and what they knew was that they won't send official invitations until 1st week of March, so they posted the thing.

I can tell you that NYU has at least admitted one person. I know that last year there were false reports about NYU. I know that, last year, NYU posted something on the website about offers in March. But yeah, at least one offer has been extended, because my good friend called me late Friday night to tell me the good news. I had a long conversation with him, and there were witnesses. Also he's a very honest person and has no reason to mislead us.

BUT, maybe NYU will send out more this week. Admittedly the offer to my friend is very early!

I applied there. I'm not sure if they admit international students for their MA but I guess i'll find out. It's a perfect fit for me. How's the environment/profs? Do you know when they generally release decisions? What are you studying there?

I received an acceptance from UWO's Theory & Criticism M.A. program on the 13th of February. I hope you hear from them soon. The program does admit international students, but I imagine the funding packages will differ, since tuition is increased for international students. I hope this helps. Best of luck!

OK, I put up that I hadn't heard from the University of Virginia about an admittance, waitlist, or rejection. It seems that acceptances, waitlists, and rejections have been posted for UVA already. What could this mean? I see that one other student put up the same thing. I checked the website and my account and there is no notice of any decision whatsoever. I know some people posted rejection notices were on their accounts, but that was not the case with me. Should I call them or just leave them alone for now and wait until March 15th?

Thank you for your help , flybottle and hopeintelevision. I am married and we will move out together. Given that my husband will give up a lot of things, I try to provide him some financial guarantees and to reassure him, but the offer I received (we provide you a financial package of a minimum of 30000 dollarsper year for 4 years.The exact details of your funding package will be communicated as soon as possible after you accept the offer) doesn't help me much!  I would love to join Western Ontario, but I need some garantee before accepting. I'lll try to come for the visitation day and have some answers.

Thank you again!

Another UWO admitted here. I'm an international student too and will be moving there with my partner, so I had more or less the same doubts as mariePhy. Thanks a lot for all the information of those who posted here, it's been really helpful. As for the funding, I'm also concerned about the tight budget, and I'm unsure how to take that the package includes a "minimum" of 30000. From what I've read I believe there's an additional 3000 per year if you TA for two semesters, and there might also be some funding opportunities for summer. On top of that, it's good to know that unlike in the US, in Canada partners of students are allowed to work, which is another point to bear in mind.

OK, I put up that I hadn't heard from the University of Virginia about an admittance, waitlist, or rejection. It seems that acceptances, waitlists, and rejections have been posted for UVA already. What could this mean? I see that one other student put up the same thing. I checked the website and my account and there is no notice of any decision whatsoever. I know some people posted rejection notices were on their accounts, but that was not the case with me. Should I call them or just leave them alone for now and wait until March 15th?

I am in the same boat with Oregon. I imagine that if waitlists have been sent out, then so too have the acceptances, and so the rejections are the last step. But, then, what is taking so long? I just want confirmation.

Then you look at the acceptance thread for last year and accepts are all over the place. There's no rhyme and reason to this machine. Best to probably stay away from this place haha.

I am in the same boat with Oregon. I imagine that if waitlists have been sent out, then so too have the acceptances, and so the rejections are the last step. But, then, what is taking so long? I just want confirmation.

Then you look at the acceptance thread for last year and accepts are all over the place. There's no rhyme and reason to this machine. Best to probably stay away from this place haha.

I agree that rejections are the last to go out, but people have already reported receiving rejections on the admissions page. But I haven't heard anything. So I'm not sure what that means or if they messed up something with notifying me? Maybe we are on the waitlist somewhere and they are still deciding. I imagine if we were rejected we would've heard about it, especially since rejections have already gone out at UVA.

Edited by riverstyx

Riverstyx, I am in the same situation. When I log in to my application, it is the same. I do not know what this means either! I am hoping not a rejection but am also preparing myself for that possibility. Maybe they haven't sent out all of the rejections yet? 

Edited by Phenofun

Riverstyx, I am in the same situation. When I log in to my application, it is the same. I do not know what this means either! I am hoping not a rejection but am also preparing myself for that possibility. Maybe they haven't sent out all of the rejections yet?

I tend to think a little optimistically and hope it means a waitlist. But I don't really have anything to go on either. I mean, if they haven't sent out all rejections yet it must mean they are still considering some applications. Like the other person said, last year UVA's acceptances were all over the place as far as dates were concerned. Maybe one of us should call and inquire about the status of our application and whether a decision has been made. I called last week and they said they would pass the message on to the graduate admissions professor, but she never got back to me. So I don't think I can call again. I really think that if we were accepted we would've received an email from the department stating that, so I personally cannot imagine that we've been accepted and that they just "forgot" to tell us. If we were accepted we would've heard from either the department or the graduate school by now. I think the best I personally can hope for is a waitlist. But again, there's not much to go on here.

I tend to think a little optimistically and hope it means a waitlist. But I don't really have anything to go on either.

I think this is probably a useful lesson for admissions season sanity: in the absence of sufficient evidence to draw an informed conclusion, you might as well be optimistic.

Unfortunately, I can't really contribute to the actual issue at hand - it's indeed confusing and hard to interpret what it could mean.

I think the way it probably works with University of Virginia is this: they send out acceptances, then they send out their *initial* batch of waitlists. *Then* they send out the rejections for the people they are definitely not going to accept, no matter what. Then, based on how things go with their initial round of acceptances and waitlists, they keep a few people "on hold" to be put on the waitlist, in case their initial waitlist is too short or they have space for even more applicants to be considered.

Hi all, just a quick question to anyone who might have any answers. Most people who haven't heard back from places seem, like me, to be speculating non stop. I've been rejected from two schools (UVA (which, for those wondering, is on their website) and London School of Economics). I have yet to hear anything from UCSD (which seems to have sent out a good deal of acceptance, wait lists, and rejection letters), Tufts, Brandeis, or UCLA. Those are the four I am waiting on. A little about myself: interests in philosophy of science, mind, language, and pragmatism. I went to a top liberal arts school, had a good overall GPA and a very good major gpa (in philosophy). I did well (V: 84th percentile, M: 88th percentile, Writing: 5.5-98th percentile) but not outstanding on my GREs, and I presume my LORs are excellent. A little wild card on my end is that I wrote the paper I submitted completely on my own, from scratch, using readings I had never discussed in a classroom setting or with a teacher.

Any thoughts at all would help mitigate the anxiety I'm currently feeling.

Hi all, just a quick question to anyone who might have any answers. Most people who haven't heard back from places seem, like me, to be speculating non stop. I've been rejected from two schools (UVA (which, for those wondering, is on their website) and London School of Economics). I have yet to hear anything from UCSD (which seems to have sent out a good deal of acceptance, wait lists, and rejection letters), Tufts, Brandeis, or UCLA. Those are the four I am waiting on. A little about myself: interests in philosophy of science, mind, language, and pragmatism. I went to a top liberal arts school, had a good overall GPA and a very good major gpa (in philosophy). I did well (V: 84th percentile, M: 88th percentile, Writing: 5.5-98th percentile) but not outstanding on my GREs, and I presume my LORs are excellent. A little wild card on my end is that I wrote the paper I submitted completely on my own, from scratch, using readings I had never discussed in a classroom setting or with a teacher.

Any thoughts at all would help mitigate the anxiety I'm currently feeling.

Hi Philoguy, I'm sorry to hear about your applications anxiety. I have not heard back from anywhere so I understand your position. One of my professors told me today to stay positive because schools are waiting to hear back from the people they sent acceptances to who may choose another program.       

Also, did you find out about the UVA rejection by logging on to your application?  Just wanted to clarify what you mean that it is "on their website."