2015 Acceptance Thread

isostheneia

Yes but I also wanted an answer to my other question about whether admitted applicants are supposed to receive notification of their admittance. I have been admitted (or so I've come to believe) but I haven't yet received any kind of official or unofficial notification. I'm wondering what standard/best practices are here.

Best,

NS

P.S. I have done work on Descartes: https://sciencedefeated.wordpress.com/2010/09/09/lessons-from-17th-century-optics/

I'm confused why you think you've been admitted if you've received no notification of the fact that you've been admitted.

Yes but I also wanted an answer to my other question about whether admitted applicants are supposed to receive notification of their admittance. I have been admitted (or so I've come to believe) but I haven't yet received any kind of official or unofficial notification. I'm wondering what standard/best practices are here.

Best,

NS

P.S. I have done work on Descartes: https://sciencedefeated.wordpress.com/2010/09/09/lessons-from-17th-century-optics/

@Nikolay, I've also been admitted to UNC without recieving any notification. So I wouldn't let the lack of notification throw you off.

Well, here's the thing. I'm excited to go to UNC (to study phil biology mainly). I'll be attending in the fall. But the problem is that I haven't yet received any official or unofficial notification? I hope this (and my post on Descartes) clears up the point....

Best practices,

NS

UNC has already released acceptances, so if you haven't heard anything, I don't think you got in, unfortunately. In fact, I'm a bit surprised that you haven't heard anything - they've even sent out some rejections as well.

I'm still confused. What do you mean by "I'll be attending in the fall"? Don't you have to be admitted to attend? Did you apply to their PhD program?

UNC has already released acceptances, so if you haven't heard anything, I don't think you got in, unfortunately. In fact, I'm a bit surprised that you haven't heard anything - they've even sent out some rejections as well.

I'm still confused. What do you mean by "I'll be attending in the fall"? Don't you have to be admitted to attend? Did you apply to their PhD program?

Yes, I agree that Nikolay is being unduly confusing about this point.

Guys, it might be best if we stop feeding the troll and keep this thread for its original purpose - announcing acceptances and congratulating each other on them.

Of course, you're totally right. Congrats to all already accepted. Let's hope for some good news today!

You may. I wouldn't expect them to put you on the spot. Maybe just review your particular reasons for wanting to go to that program, I think that would be enough.

Thanks so much.  I just want to make sure I don't miss the mark on something here.

Just posting to stem speculation: Unless they're going to inordinate effort, Nicolay and LetsGetMetaPhysical aren't the same person. 

Also, if you don't like the way someone is taking a discussion, you don't have to respond. As much as any of you may dislike it, on an open discussion board, you don't get to dictate what can and cannot be discussed in a thread, or get upset that people, in a virtual conversation, are going off topic. 

If something is seriously over the line, report it and we'll look into it. 

Just posting to stem speculation: Unless they're going to inordinate effort, Nicolay and LetsGetMetaPhysical aren't the same person. 

Also, if you don't like the way someone is taking a discussion, you don't have to respond. As much as any of you may dislike it, on an open discussion board, you don't get to dictate what can and cannot be discussed in a thread, or get upset that people, in a virtual conversation, are going off topic. 

If something is seriously over the line, report it and we'll look into it. 

Aw, thanks for clearing my good name, Elgen! That was a hurtful accusation.