Any Columbia MSW hopefuls?

socialworkette

Thanks socialworkette for calming my nerves just a little bit. Nice to know we're in this together.

A small note to Sum_1... If you have such negative things to say just stay off the blog, please. I'm a domestic student, high GPA, went to Columbia Undergrad and ultimately if I am not accepted I will know it's because I am not right for the school. An Ivy education, or being an American does not entitle you to anything. And it shouldn't.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, this is a flucking joke. People with 2.5s, 3.3s, poor English, and (don't forget!) "experience in a foreign country," etc getting into Columbia? Jokes. It looks like just another case of pandering to "international" student dollars and/or bleeding heart "liberals" who'd rather be caped-crusaders in a country half a world away than do any flucking thing about issues right here. To hell with domestic students who want to make a difference HERE. Oh, no. That'd be anathema. You have to want to feed starving children in Brazil or clothe LGBT youth in Korea to get any attention these days. Screw it. I'm changing majors. If I'm going to be played by the system, I might just as well make money doing it. Deuces "social work." STEM education, here I come.

As a future social worker I will try to be patient lol. The person with the 2.5 is a case manager, she is already a social worker!! Observing and learning techniques is key in this field, not how to write a research thesis. That is why there are clinical hours 3 days a week. Being a social worker isn't all about if you know how to write a well written paper, or how perfect your grammar is, it's about who you are as a person, your personality and empathy towards others. And 3.3 GPA is good, what are you talking about lol

I have a 3.5 in psych, worked in 2 research labs, volunteered for 3 non-profits, interned for a summer in a social work community clinic and have solid recs from professors in human development and psych and a rec from my non-profit supervisor... so hopefully it will all work out. I won't listen to anyone's negativity! 

Hi guys, I'm still waiting too!

I did a master's in clinical psychology at Columbia and I'm hoping to get my MSSW At Columbia too. I went in and spoke to admissions a few weeks ago and they were really nice. They told me that the incoming class will be as big as however many qualified students send in applications, so if anyone is worried (like I was) about only a certain number of open spots, then hopefully that makes you feel better. It made me feel better, but I'm also nervously waiting like a lot of you! Hopefully some more good news next week guys.

@PuraVida21 it sounds like you will deff get in!! Someone said on here that they will be telling people next week too. Plus, they're accepting applications still so that could mean there is more room :)

I think everyone should just ignore Sum_1. He just doesn't have the same mentality as us. We don't need that kind of negativity :)

I didn't apply until the beginning of January. Also, I got acceptances into several different programs (in clinical) weeks after other people had gotten their acceptances, so let's not go into panic mode yet!

As a future social worker I will try to be patient lol. The person with the 2.5 is a case manager, she is already a social worker!! Observing and learning techniques is key in this field, not how to write a research thesis. That is why there are clinical hours 3 days a week. Being a social worker isn't all about if you know how to write a well written paper, or how perfect your grammar is, it's about who you are as a person, your personality and empathy towards others. And 3.3 GPA is good, what are you talking about lol

"lol" what's this, middle school? Anyway. Well, whoever that mediocre "student" is I don't think they need you as spokesperson. Columbia's already stamped their subpar arse's ticket. Also, save the NASW shtick. I think we all know the "ideal" qualities of a "social worker" by now. 

From my experience, if your results doesn't come out by 1week of march you more likely to get a rejection letter. Columbia sends out rejection letter at the end. 

Once again, shut the flug up. No one asked you. You're provoking, panic, hysteria, and frustration  then you want to say be "professional"? You're being a fluking passive-aggressive azzhole. You got accepted, again, good for you, but what you said right there is nothing to say. Now you wanna feign ignorance and play innocent?

Dude, you've been trolling this forum for, what, a year. Two? If my suspicions are correct....you got rejected how many times by Columbia? Barely scraped by at a UC for undergrad and couldn't get into medical school, and now you finally got your "big break" at Columbia and you wanna pontificate about Columbia's admissions policies and procedures? GET. THE. FLUK. OUT. OF. HERE. WITH. THAT. BULL. FLUCKING. SHHHHH.  I take much umbrage at your sanctimony and thinly-veiled vaunting. I'm not going to bite my tongue, parse my words, or play nice with you. You get what you give. 

Edited by Sum_1

Yes, sorry! 

3.6 GPA, BFA (with a minor in journalism) undergrad at Wayne State University, no GRE and have been working an internship in Japan for a year in sex trafficking in Cambodia and India.

Tell us about your stats since you think you're above us all

I don't owe you anything. You're not entitled to that info about me. I have no reason to "compare stats" with you people.  Get a clue, bro.