Any Columbia MSW hopefuls?

socialworkette

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any current Columbia students free to answer questions about the program?

I'm a current CUSSW student, feel free to ask my anything :) And totally agree about the apartments (it was my deciding factor in not choosing NYU) also CU gave me a much larger financial package, NYU wanted me to wait until June to give me my scholarship info and I got Columbia's right away.

@Jillchristine do you mind me asking how they did financial scholarship information? was it through loans or scholarships? Also how did you decide upon Columbia? Did you finish the stats requirement before u were accepted? Sorry I am so curious :)

I have been lurking on this page for a while and figured I would post...I haven't heard back from Columbia either and am really freaking out (I feel bad for my friends dealing with me :P).

Edited by usernameofmegan

I'm a current CUSSW student, feel free to ask my anything :) And totally agree about the apartments (it was my deciding factor in not choosing NYU) also CU gave me a much larger financial package, NYU wanted me to wait until June to give me my scholarship info and I got Columbia's right away.

OH WOW! Thank you for offering to answer questions!

My main concern is regarding scholarships at this point. I am an international student so I wont be able to take out much loans. Was CUSSWs schoalrship offer good? Do they have fellowships?

Edited by Jordanna

OH WOW! Thank you for offering to answer questions!

My main concern is regarding scholarships at this point. I am an international student so I wont be able to take out much loans. Was CUSSWs schoalrship offer good? Do they have fellowships?

@Jillchristine do you mind me asking how they did financial scholarship information? was it through loans or scholarships? Also how did you decide upon Columbia? Did you finish the stats requirement before u were accepted? Sorry I am so curious :)

No worries, I remember being there! From what I've heard many people receive need-based scholarships, but obviously this depends on your fafsa. I was marked as an independent with no parental assistant, so I received a high amount of scholarships-- approximately 16k scholarship along with 4k work study (get paid for your internship) both renewable each year. Also they sometimes add more money as the year goes on, since they receive donations all year round. I originally received a lesser scholarship amount but appealed for more (which I always recommend).

Jordanna- I am unsure about fellowships, however if you appeal to the financial aid office they are more than likely to give you something, especially if you are international. I received my package very soon after my acceptance letter so you should be hearing soon. Other schools make you wait until the summer after you've accepted their offer. Also I would suggest to all of you to contact the schools you're accepted to to ask for an extension before you submit your deposit if you are still waiting on another school. They'll likely do this and you may save a couple hundred dollars in acceptance hold fees. 

Chilly8- I am personally awful at stats (took it multiple times in college with nothing better than a c+) however I took it at a community college over the summer and got an a. This was definitely the best thing to do since your first semester is often the hardest and an extra class can be really stressful. Although I've heard CU's Stats class on Saturdays (that you would be required to take if you do not have the stats requirement completed) is a good class and can be a good bonding experience for new students and the professor really makes sure you pass with a b or better. However, I still don't think it's worth the extra stress if you can avoid it. I chose CU because I was impressed by their program and knew the reputation would take me far. Also, it became my second most affordable option following the scholarships (only PITT was a little cheaper). I also loved the campus and the opportunity to meet so many people from different countries, states, etc. it's such an international campus and it's amazing! That being said, I know a lot of people that don't like CUSSW but I think its mostly due to the fact that they expect too much from the school considering it's Columbia, you have to be realistic and  understand that every program will have its flaws. You do need to advocate for yourself a lot at the school since it is a large program, but CUSSW has networks with all of the best placements in NYC and people hold you to a higher standard coming from the program, all of which I think makes CUSSW worth it. 

Sorry that's a lot, feel free to ask anything else & good luck!! 

Someone help! I just got this email but it's not like the ones you guys have been talking about!

Does this mean I am admitted and missed an email!?!?

"Dear xxxx

Once again, congratulations on being admitted!

This email is to confirm that we have your final, official transcript on file (per item #12 on the New Student Checklist). You do not need to send us another transcript.

Please let us know if you have any questions. We look forward to you joining the CSSW community!

Sincerely,

CSSW Admissions

1255 Amsterdam Avenue

Suite 514 Fifth Floor

cssw-admit@columbia.edu

Yes, that means you got admitted. Check yoru other email folders. I got the same email after my admissions one.

No worries, I remember being there! From what I've heard many people receive need-based scholarships, but obviously this depends on your fafsa. I was marked as an independent with no parental assistant, so I received a high amount of scholarships-- approximately 16k scholarship along with 4k work study (get paid for your internship) both renewable each year. Also they sometimes add more money as the year goes on, since they receive donations all year round. I originally received a lesser scholarship amount but appealed for more (which I always recommend).

Jordanna- I am unsure about fellowships, however if you appeal to the financial aid office they are more than likely to give you something, especially if you are international. I received my package very soon after my acceptance letter so you should be hearing soon. Other schools make you wait until the summer after you've accepted their offer. Also I would suggest to all of you to contact the schools you're accepted to to ask for an extension before you submit your deposit if you are still waiting on another school. They'll likely do this and you may save a couple hundred dollars in acceptance hold fees. 

Chilly8- I am personally awful at stats (took it multiple times in college with nothing better than a c+) however I took it at a community college over the summer and got an a. This was definitely the best thing to do since your first semester is often the hardest and an extra class can be really stressful. Although I've heard CU's Stats class on Saturdays (that you would be required to take if you do not have the stats requirement completed) is a good class and can be a good bonding experience for new students and the professor really makes sure you pass with a b or better. However, I still don't think it's worth the extra stress if you can avoid it. I chose CU because I was impressed by their program and knew the reputation would take me far. Also, it became my second most affordable option following the scholarships (only PITT was a little cheaper). I also loved the campus and the opportunity to meet so many people from different countries, states, etc. it's such an international campus and it's amazing! That being said, I know a lot of people that don't like CUSSW but I think its mostly due to the fact that they expect too much from the school considering it's Columbia, you have to be realistic and  understand that every program will have its flaws. You do need to advocate for yourself a lot at the school since it is a large program, but CUSSW has networks with all of the best placements in NYC and people hold you to a higher standard coming from the program, all of which I think makes CUSSW worth it. 

Sorry that's a lot, feel free to ask anything else & good luck!! 

Thank you for taking your time to answer!

I have another question. I'm not sure what I want to specialize in just yet. Is it possible to change my specialization stream in social work in my second year? Is it tough to change it midway? Also, can I still practice clinical social work (ex. be a therapist) even if I don't specialize in clinical social work?

@Jillchristine - Thanks for being willing to answer questions. How many students are in the classes? How do you feel about the advising/mentorship available to students in the program? What are the most exciting parts of the program for you? What are the top reasons people dislike the program? I just want to see if those are factors that would deter me. I've heard many students get frustrated b/c the program is so big that you to really push for yourself, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. It's always good to be able to advocate for yourself! So, I guess reasons other than that one. And, could you explain the process for field placement in your first year? Sorry, so many questions!

anyone else deciding between columbia and washu in st louis? washu is actually the #1 ranked social work school and combined with the crazy difference in cost of living, i am seriously torn. any thoughts?