Accepted to program, forcing decision by February 15. Help?!

atlremix

I received an acceptance today from my safety Ph.D. Program (which I would still be thrilled to attend!). I did not apply for an early decision deadline. The acceptance letter stipulated that I must accept or decline enrollment by February 15th.

I was also notified that funding decisions will not be made until late Feb/early March. So they are requiring a decision from me without any idea on how the funding situation will turn out. I have an interview a higher ranked program after this deadline will have passed.

I plan to ask for an extension, but if I'm not granted one, I think I will need to turn the program down based on the uncertainty of funding. Is this fairly common? If it helps, this IS a program on the list for the Council of Graduate Schools. I'm assuming they are able to bypass the April 15th deadline because they are requiring an admission commitment without yet extending a financial aid offer. If I did accept the offer, is this in any way binding?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by atlremix

If they don't offer you funding their is nothing you can do, as funded decisions are the only thing that the Council of Graduate Schools deals with. 

I don't think its binding, you might lose your deposit (if you have to give one). 

Its also important to note that the Council of Graduate Schools isn't legally binding, its just something that nice programs do. 

I hope they give you an extension, but you might let your POI know about this before hand. If you do accept, get funding and then decide to go to the higher ranking school it will burn some bridges. But it might be worth it.

Edited by GeoDUDE!

Thanks GeoDude! I was able to find an applicable statement in the CGS document. "In those instances in which a student accepts an offer before April 15, and subsequently desires to withdraw that acceptance, the student may submit in writing a resignation of the appointment at any time through April 15." That statement makes it seem like it is possible to rescind your commitment prior to April 15th, but I am definitely hoping I don't have to find out.

http://www.cgsnet.org/ckfinder/userfiles/files/CGSResolution_Rev2015.pdf

Edited by atlremix

Again, the CGS resolution isn't binding, so it saying that you can rescind your acceptance doesn't mean you can. Additionally, the CGS resolution doesn't apply to you, as it's only in relation to funded offers.

Think of the CGS resolution as a "play nice" agreement between colleges. They signed it to stop from earlier and earlier funding decisions that were pushing deadlines, and to stop the arms race that was funded offers. It's not in any way binding, its a resolution of intent, that most signatory schools follow. But that's it. 

You'd have to ask the school in question how or if you'd go about rescinding the offer.

It's also worth noting that most applicants, and schools, pay very little attention to the flip side- after April 15th, no school can accept an applicant who had accepted another schools offer without written approval from that school- and these forums are littered with people rescinding offers well after April 15th.

The thing is, beyond very specific circumstances that happen only rarely, your decision to attend a specific program is not a binding legal contract.  It's just an agreement.  You can accept a program and then revoke that acceptance on February 16, April 15, or July 7 and the outcome will likely be roughly the same - you won't go to that program.  If you have to put down a deposit you might lose the deposit, and if you revoke acceptance on July 7 you might have some faculty members who are a bit upset with you (or worse).  But as far as whether or not you actually have to attend the program...you can decide to pull out whenever you want.

With that said, the program itself isn't playing very nice itself - they expect you to commit to a program before you know whether you can afford it.  That's absurd, and I think that if they are forcing your hand in that way that you need to do what you need to do.  I would first ask for an extension of time to make the decision - at the very least ask if they can wait until after you find out about their funding offer.  If the answer is no, though, then you can accept their offer and wait and see what happens with the funding offer in March.  Or you can decline, if you feel morally better doing that.

I think it is fairly normal for schools to put a date in the letter that they want you to respond by. I have gotten 2 offers so far and both had this. That DOES NOT mean that they are forcing you to respond by then. It is likely something that they put in all the letters to avoid getting dragged around. When I inquired further about this to both programs, they just said that they would appreciate being kept updated but that I could take as long as I needed. They asked that I just let them know as soon as I am no longer seriously considering their offer. Everyone is playing the same game... They have to juggle waiting for their top choice students with also sending offers to their second choices before they already accept somewhere else. I think the the best way to handle this is to be honest with programs and to only hold a couple offers at once to your top picks.

I would just send a polite email to the school and say that you are really interested in the program but want to visit a few places in person before making a decision. I would also mention that funding information will be an important part of your decision and see if you can get that info before deciding.