Interview tips!!!

Pink toes

Actually, for any of y'all that have interviewed in the past for PhD programs, or have completed your interview in this cycle, do you mind sharing some examples of questions you were asked? I've never done an "academic" interview before so not really sure what direction they are going to go? Should I brush up on my epi methods/biostats? I've got my first phone interview on Monday and I'm super nervous...

Also for questions to ask at the end of the interview, what are some good "blanket" questions that I can use? I was already going to ask a question about funding, and about being able to continue to work on projects from my current job. 

I wouldn't worry about general methods or skills to brush up on, none of my interviews were really technical. Do everything you can to find out who you will be interviewing with, and familiarize yourself with their most recent research - at least read the abstracts. Have some intelligent questions about it that you can ask if you have time.

Also come up with your story. They'll all ask who you are, how you got interestesed... this should not just be a rehash of your resume. It should be compelling - this isn't about

thanks for the tips kng229! super helpful...

Ahh damn, I'd typed up a few paragraphs based upon my experience last year.  It posted, but now it's gone.  If I have time later I may try to rehash it...  I guess that's what I get for trying to post from my phone.

Edited by kng229

If it's a phone interview, talk into a mirror while doing the interview. Someone gave me this advice ages ago. I think it helps control the inflection in your voice because you see yourself as you are responding to the non-present interviewer. Helped me treat it as an interview rather than just a plain old phone call.

I've never had an academic interview but I have had two career-style jobs and I know that dressing to impress (even when your interviews are wearing Aloha Casual and flip flops, wear a suit) and have a firm handshake.  Make eye contact.  Smile.  Keep your hair out of your face (if you're a girl).  No overbearing perfume (male interviewers have told me they hate it).

My question for you guys, because I'm afraid my mind will go blank under the pressure of the interview:  should I expect like...textbook questions?  Like, "oh, explain this mechanism."  I once had a job interview where one interviewer said, "oh, you're a biochemist?  Tell me what you think about such and such molecule in a de novo synthesis pathway" and I was like...  :blink:

Alright let me try this again...

After interviewing with 5 different PhD programs, here's my advice:  I wouldn't worry about general methods or skills to brush up on, none of my interviews were really technical.  Definitely no textbook questions.  Do everything you can to find out who you will be interviewing with, and familiarize yourself with their most recent research - at least read the abstracts. Have some intelligent questions about it that you can ask if you have time. 

Also come up with your story. They'll all ask who you are, how you got interested... this should not just be a rehash of your resume. It should be compelling - this isn't about how much you need them to further your career, its how they need you to further the reputation of the school.  They'll want to hear how you got interested in the field (and don't make it too cheesy, no stories about how you hiked a mountain and realized your love of public health...), how you got interested in research, and how your experiences made you decide to go for the PhD/MPH.

One question that came up really commonly was what I planned to do after school.  You can choose to answer honestly or not, but the correct answer here is academia or a major health research organization (Kaiser Permanente, TRICARE, etc.).  As an academic you are going to mentor young students, publish more widely, and bring credit to the program.  If you disappear into industry afterwards, that does almost nothing for the school's reputation.

You will also be asked about your research/policy interests.  Again, there is a correct answer here - whatever the professors tend to be interested in!  Fit is the #1 thing the interviews are looking for, so if your interests don't line up with the faculty you are a lot less likely to get accepted.  I got accepted to better schools and rejected from lesser schools, almost certainly due to a bad fit.  You should look through the faculty interests in their CVs/webpages, note the overlap with your own interests, and highlight them during the interview.  I would point out how I'd love to work with this professor on this research, this professor on this other research, etc.  It shows a good fit and that you've done your homework on the program.

As far as your questions, save the programmatic questions for staff such as funding, requirements, attrition rates, etc.  For professors, I liked to ask them about the process of finding an advisor - how does that process work, are they assigned or do they arise organically, do students have issues finding an advisor.. or questions about their research.  Just make sure the questions are insightful and intelligent, and that you are actually interested because it shows!

For dress, dress professionally but something you are comfortable with.  Don't go overboard, because you'll look out-of-place and uncomfortable.  When I went to Penn, they told us business casual but all the men had jackets, including myself.

Any other specific questions, let me know!