UCLA Department of Political Science

When I applied to UCLA 2 years ago, I was on an informal waiting list until after deadlines passed in April, at which point they rejected me.  So just FYI, in the event that you hear nothing.

When I applied to UCLA 2 years ago, I was on an informal waiting list until after deadlines passed in April, at which point they rejected me.  So just FYI, in the event that you hear nothing.

What exactly is this informal waiting list?

It meant that they weren't sure who would be declining or accepting offers yet, but there was a small contingent of us on this board at the time who had not yet been rejected.  

Most of their department's offers had been posted on here many weeks prior.  It wasn't a "waiting list" in any official way, but we were kept in purgatory in the event that their incoming cohort fell short.

I wasn't informed of the UCLA rejection until after the 4/15 deadline had passed.  

Edited by Quigley

It is!

Congrats! I am not sure whether you ever visited the campus or not, but it is gorgeous. Besides the academic reputation and obvious qualifications, it is just in a great spot of West Los Angeles. My brother actually works for the Law School's Williams Institute in a managerial position - do not wish to disclose his name for privacy reasons - and I have had many chances to see the campus for myself. 

If my interests were more aligned with their program I would have applied there myself. But, after careful consideration, I was not a good fit. So, with that said, I am assured that you will love it here! :)

Edited by Facade19

Congrats! I am not sure whether you ever visited the campus or not, but it is gorgeous. Besides the academic reputation and obvious qualifications, it is just in a great spot of West Los Angeles. My brother actually works for the Law School's Williams Institute in a managerial position - do not wish to disclose his name for privacy reasons - and I have had many chances to see the campus for myself. 

If my interests were more aligned with their program I would have applied there myself. But, after careful consideration, I was not a good fit. So, with that said, I am assured that you will love it here! :)

Spent the summer in LA the last two years. I am JUST about sold  :)

Spent the summer in LA the last two years. I am JUST about sold  :)

LOL, I am exactly the opposite. I want to leave Los Angeles and the state (if G-d permits it). I would love live and study in other parts of the nation. 

I'm in too!  Lovely emails from Davide Panagia, Melvin Rogers, and Joseph Brown!  Not sure yet what I'll do, because I'm also in at Chicago and waiting on Columbia and Hopkins, among others, but it's a great problem to have!  Congratulations and sympathy, as the case may be, all around :)