Waiting to Exhale (the wait list thread)

On the waitlist at Cornell, got a nice email with the standard language. Happy to join you all in purgatory for a (hopefully short) while!

Congrats Lycidas! Hopefully it'll turn into an acceptance for you! :)

1) I have been lurking forums for weeks (mostly the acceptances thread), but the wizard people reference forced my hand and so now I have an account.

2) I'm apparently #2 on BC's waitlist. Wanna help a friend out, Lycidas? ;)

3) Glad to be among homies, and newly converted homies.

1) I have been lurking forums for weeks (mostly the acceptances thread), but the wizard people reference forced my hand and so now I have an account.

2) I'm apparently #2 on BC's waitlist. Wanna help a friend out, Lycidas? ;)

3) Glad to be among homies, and newly converted homies.

Out of upvotes but so happy to be amongst other beautiful animals/destroyers of worlds.

Out of upvotes but so happy to be amongst other beautiful animals/destroyers of worlds.

Can I just tell you my very favorite part of the Book of Margery Kempe? It's when she and her husband are picnicking and he's all, Would you rather my head be cut off, or us to have sex? And she says she'd rather he died than go back to their "uncleanliness," to which he responds, "Ye are no good wife." That's had me literally laughing out loud.

Can I just tell you my very favorite part of the Book of Margery Kempe? It's when she and her husband are picnicking and he's all, Would you rather my head be cut off, or us to have sex? And she says she'd rather he died than go back to their "uncleanliness," to which he responds, "Ye are no good wife." That's had me literally laughing out loud.

Yes x1000! But I see her point-- if I was having sexy visions w/ Jesus, I wouldn't wanna go back to my gross mortal husband...

Edited by margeryhemp

Waitlisted at UCR and UCSB. I did get accepted to Texas A&M, which is great. I only applied to three programs, and having all of my eggs in just a couple of baskets had me really nervous, so I am actually stoked just to be on these wait lists. And at least if I don't get into either of the UCs, my decision will be a whole lot easier to make.

Silver linings, man.

I'm curious: How do people know what "spot" they are on a wait list? Do they actually tell you?

And I assume it varies by program, but how does it work? Is there a secret ranking of wait list candidates, and if a spot opens up, wait-list-er #1 gets admitted, and so on? Or do they try to fill certain spots, like if a medievalist declines, then they will accept a medievalist off the wait list? I have a feeling I already know that it depends on the program, but I thought I'd ask because asking gives me a false sense of agency.

Waitlisted at UCR and UCSB. I did get accepted to Texas A&M, which is great. I only applied to three programs, and having all of my eggs in just a couple of baskets had me really nervous, so I am actually stoked just to be on these wait lists. And at least if I don't get into either of the UCs, my decision will be a whole lot easier to make.

Silver linings, man.

I'm curious: How do people know what "spot" they are on a wait list? Do they actually tell you?

And I assume it varies by program, but how does it work? Is there a secret ranking of wait list candidates, and if a spot opens up, wait-list-er #1 gets admitted, and so on? Or do they try to fill certain spots, like if a medievalist declines, then they will accept a medievalist off the wait list? I have a feeling I already know that it depends on the program, but I thought I'd ask because asking gives me a false sense of agency.

I imagine all of this varies by program. I'm currently waitlisted at UMD. In the initial email I received from the program, their DGS informed me of my position within their Med/Ren waitlist. 

Regarding the policies and practices of each program, I can only advise you to call the DGS at each program and ask them to explain their procedure. I don't think you have to dance around this or anything; just ask "How does the waitlist work in your program? Do you have separate waitlists for separate historical periods, or do you have one master list? Could you let me know where I currently am on the waitlist?" When I asked the UMD DGS these questions, I found him to be forthright and more than willing to clarify everything I was uncertain about. 

Anyone know anything about how the waitlist at Chapel hill works? The email says the waitlist is very active and that there's a good chance I'll be admitted. But I don't even want to hope...

In the same boat. I know that doesn't answer your question whatsoever but hey, camaraderie. Fingers crossed for both of us! Will you be going to visiting weekend in March? I plan to attend.

In the same boat. I know that doesn't answer your question whatsoever but hey, camaraderie. Fingers crossed for both of us! Will you be going to visiting weekend in March? I plan to attend.

yes!!

Do people on the waiting list get invited to attend the visiting weekends? Neither of the wait list letters I got said anything about that. The two schools I'm waitlisted for are actually local enough to me that it would be no sweat to go, even if I don't eventually get admitted, but if I'm not invited... well, that would be awkward. Still, if I did get in, I would never want to sign up for a program having never visited.

Scottstein: did you contact UMD about the waitlist or did they contact you? I've heard mixed things about how people are hearing and wondering if I should bite the bullet and e-mail them (I haven't seen anything posted in my area group).

Edit: Congratulations, by the way!

Edited by InHacSpeVivo

Do people on the waiting list get invited to attend the visiting weekends? Neither of the wait list letters I got said anything about that. The two schools I'm waitlisted for are actually local enough to me that it would be no sweat to go, even if I don't eventually get admitted, but if I'm not invited... well, that would be awkward. Still, if I did get in, I would never want to sign up for a program having never visited.