comparative literature acceptance thread!

I have Upenn and Colorado Boulder left.

Boulder only offers an MA program now. They said they'd notify during the first week of March.

I don't know about Upenn. Haven't heard anything, either.

I have nothing left except Stanford MLT, but since there's a 1% acceptance rate there I'm not very hopeful.

also -- ok sorry -- but this has been bothering me for weeks -- and I have to get it off my chest. I can't help feeling that there might be something wrong with me because I got 75% of my british apps in but rejections from my american ones (thus far, there's only stanford left). please don't scold me for being 'negative' -- I just need to get it off my chest. can't help wondering if it's because I'm inferior in some way :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Its not you. Department sizes and funding for the humanities have been dwindling in the US. Mostly due to the recession and the shrinking number of tenure track positions.

Also I imagine that US programs just receive 3 or 4 times more applicants than most UK programs. Even Oxbridge gets way fewer PhD apps than US correlates.

Don't feel bad. At the final round of decisions everyone is more than qualified and decisions become much more arbitrary.

But also you applied to the most competitive US programs.

Edited by Appppplication

First, I Just want to send a double congrats to Gustav for the acceptances!

It sucks when there's nobody else on the boards waiting for the same schools to notify. You never know what the timeline is.

I can at least stand with quena in saying I'm waiting to hear from Penn's comp lit program (I would have applied to an equal amount of English and Comp Lit if it weren't for a variety of non-academic related factors). I can echo this for Medieval Studies though - which like comp lit seems to be on a schedule completely different from both English and comparative literature.

mollifiedmolloy, congratulations on your acceptances! (I haven't looked at other threads these days so I might be a bit late  ;) )

And good luck with the rest! It seems that you are doing great so far :D

mollifiedmolloy, congratulations on your acceptances! (I haven't looked at other threads these days so I might be a bit late  ;) )

And good luck with the rest! It seems that you are doing great so far :D

Thanks, quena! Best of luck with yours too! I'm looking forward to seeing Comp Lit popping like English has. I wonder if comp lit programs (or any more comparative or interdisciplinary programs) take longer to get acceptances together simply because so many departments have large chunks of faculty rooted in other departments...

Congratulations Gustav on your acceptance to Cornell! And I apologise if I missed someone else. Currently using my holiday to force myself to check the board less. Which clearly is not working :-P

And yes, big congratulations to you too mollifiedmolloy!

t1racyjacks I can only Appppplication's comments about not taking the US rejections personally! When I applied first time in 2011 I got rejected from the PhD programmes In applied for in the US but was accepted to really good UK masters. I think that apart from the smaller amount of acceptances there's the very real fact that many US programmes offer you funding, and when you apply you know there's 75% chance or more that you are it'll be funded. In the UK this is not the case, of course funding is not an impossibility in the UK but it's much less certain and you're frequently much more reliant on external funding or year by year funding. I know several people who had to reassess their phd plans because they didn't secure any. Obviously it may be easier to fund a PhD here because they're relatively cheaper :-P

Re unis I'm still waiting for the official rejection from Cornell, more specific news from Rutgers and any news at all from UCLA, nyu, Michigan, Washington, Stanford and Harvard... Not expecting good news from any of them just now... But I'm in Rome so I, perhaps stupidly, think I'll be able to handle the rejections better

please don't scold me for being 'negative' -- I just need to get it off my chest. can't help wondering if it's because I'm inferior in some way :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

I've got only rejections so far, so I echo this. I was really in "maybe I'm just not good enough to even make it to the waitlist" sort of self-doubt. But hey, I don't even have time to dwell upon this thought since I recently moved to a new town, have another semester ahead, and also have a whole MA thesis to finish. I guess we just need to keep telling ourselves that the applications are just a tiny part of our lives, which will go on with or without acceptances (not to mention that you are already accepted to wonderful places :D)

It is nice to hear some good news!  Congrats to the people who got UCSB, NYU and Yale acceptances. I am thinking about how good it will feel to get an acceptance and to know you have funding too.

Yes, definitely huge congrats to the silent Yale, nyu and ucsb acceptances!!!

I haven't heard anything from nyu, so I'm guessing it's a no go... Here's hoping both they and Cornell will be kind and send rejections soon!

T1racyjacks I hope you get better soon!