Decisions 2015

ashiepoo72

I keep parsing this word wrong. I was trying to figure out how grad students were un-ionized. 

Don't feel too bad, in my current weary state I read it as "onion-ized" :P

But yeah, I really liked Davis' union situation as well. Thrilled to know that's where you're going Ashiepoo! Oh and by the way, Davis will be downright chilly compared to what I'm used to, so I'm actually looking forward to that aspect :lol:

The union issue heavily influenced my decision too. As did the ability to very happily solve the two body problem. My husband and I both had a really positive visit at Illinois, we were both offered excellent funding packages from our programs, and we both feel like we'd be really happy in U-C for the next six or so years, so my decision is made.

Congrats to everyone who has made their decision. Good thoughts to everyone who is still wrestling with where to choose.

I'd love to keep in touch with everyone who's starting at the same time. A virtual cohort would be really awesome. If anyone wants to be FB friends, pm me and I'll send you my contact info. Also, I could set up a web forurm for our virtual cohort, similar to this, but less public, if anyone would be interested in that sort of thing. Also PM me with that, and we could discuss what we'd want out of that, it could be either an e-list like H-net, or a group blog, or a full site with individual blogs. I do IT for a living, and wouldn't mind maintaining it, if there's interest.

Those all sound like great options Fianna!   I honestly wouldn't know where to start and would trust your superior skills in that arena.  As far as a grad union is concerned, it's one of the things I'm most excited about at Iowa.  They've been VERY effective in getting concessions for graduate students, including most recently a fee reduction as part of the contract. 

I have now officially turned down OSU and given up my waitlist spot at UoT.

Brown, here I come!

I hear only the nerds go there  ;) . See you in class a few months from now. 

I hear only the nerds go there  ;) . See you in class a few months from now. 

I think our cohort proved that pretty definitively  :P

Hey telkanuru, I'm one of the guys of your cohort year that you met at OSU (a Russianist, William O'Brien, if you recall).  

I just wanted to say congratulations on making your choice and it was wonderful to meet you.  Brown will be privileged to have such a scholar.  :)

Hey telkanuru, I'm one of the guys of your cohort year that you met at OSU (a Russianist, William O'Brien, if you recall).  

I just wanted to say congratulations on making your choice and it was wonderful to meet you.  Brown will be privileged to have such a scholar.  :)

I was also at the OSU visit day! I had to leave because I got horribly sick around lunchtime, but I was there for the morning -- very nice to meet you both!

Hey telkanuru, I'm one of the guys of your cohort year that you met at OSU.  :)

I was also at the OSU visit day! I had to leave because I got horribly sick around lunchtime, but I was there for the morning -- very nice to meet you both!

Oh, that's great! It was good to meet both of you! Are you both headed there? I was very sad to turn the offer down.

Oh, that's great! It was good to meet both of you! Are you both headed there? I was very sad to turn the offer down.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the Columbia/LSE joint Master's program, so I'm unlikely to make my final decision until it's down to the wire.  But I'm sort of leaning towards OSU at any rate due to the amazing hospitality and my POI.

Congratulations, girlscoutcookies, for landing Rutgers!  Very impressive!

Hey! I take offense! I know 2 languages haha

... 8. And I should really pick up Greek and Arabic.

Edited by telkanuru

I feel like this confirms medievalist nerdiness ;)

I'm one of those Americanists who thinks languages are great. I'm learning a 3rd on the side (well 4th if you count English)