Decisions 2015

ashiepoo72

I realize schools like to know who you're turning them down for, but you don't actually have to tell them. "I have received an offer from a department where I believe I would fit in better" is a sufficient explanation unless you actually want to tell them where you're going, in my opinion. Also, could giving them the name of a higher-ranked program and mentioning your professional goals be construed as implying they're not good enough for you or something...? I mean, that would be the worry going through my head if I were trying to write such an email, but I'm more anxious about hitting the right tone in emails than most people.

Basically, Professor Plum's suggested email is totally fine and I'm sure Emory won't actually care at all, but if I were sending it, I would probably take out the bit about professional goals.

Good on you for letting them know so early, Jezzlin! That way it's easier for them and for whoever they're going to accept from the waitlist (if they do that).

Actually you should let them know where you're planning to accept.  They need to get a sense of benchmarks for funding and program strength purposes.  It's discussed all the time and you would be doing them a favor.

I agree with TMP, programs use that information to see who their competition is. It doesn't hurt to tell them. That is, unless you haven't decided where you're going yet--I declined an offer before making my final choice, so I said I was in the process of deciding between offers but wanted to get back to them ASAP and let em know I wasn't going to accept.

I will say that it seems like programs don't care for long, flowery, apologetic emails when one declines an offer--they know we apply to multiple places and sometimes have to make hard choices, just like they do during the admissions process. Be professional, straightforward and get back to them quickly so they can turn to the wait list or start finalizing their incoming cohort.

Actually you should let them know where you're planning to accept.  They need to get a sense of benchmarks for funding and program strength purposes.  It's discussed all the time and you would be doing them a favor.

Well, yes, I know it's useful information for departments to have, which is why I noted that it's normal for them to want to know it, but my point was that if for some reason you don't want to disclose it, that's your prerogative.

I'm having a phone call this week with a would-be adviser to get more information about the program, and I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions of things I should ask. I'm planning on asking about his sort of general expectations, comp exams/dissertation committee structure, his advisement style, etc. but I'm sure I'm forgetting things. I know I posted that extensive list for recruitment events, so I'll be pulling some stuff from that, but I want to ask questions specifically to learn more about my potential adviser and our working relationship if that makes sense.

Does anybody else have any other answers to this question? One of my would-be advisors is very eager to speak with me over the phone this week, but I'm not entirely sure what to expect from these kinds of phone calls.

Does anybody else have any other answers to this question? One of my would-be advisors is very eager to speak with me over the phone this week, but I'm not entirely sure what to expect from these kinds of phone calls.

Off the top of my head, prepare to speak about your research project in more detail, the kinds of sources you anticipate you will be examining (regardless of whether you've had the chance to visit any archives) and your motivations for studying history. They may give you the opportunity to ask your own questions, perhaps ask about departmental averages for time to completion, recent placements for students they’ve worked with and departmental resources available for students with your intellectual interests. Jot down some notes to stay focused and just be composed and confident for the most part.

I had a phone conversation with a potential adviser last week, and it was really laid back. He asked me very little about my project, except to mention that my SOP and writing sample were really strong and he can envision an interesting committee for me at the program based on what I wrote. He basically wanted to open the lines of communications for my questions (I asked about comps, how he views the timeline to completion and about travel/summer funding opportunities). He also gave me a lot to think about in terms of where he sees my project potentially going--so it's not like we didn't talk about my project at all, it was mostly him throwing out insightful and probing questions that got me thinking deeply about how my research will unfold at that institution.

At this point, they're trying to do all they can to get us into their incoming cohorts. I wouldn't be nervous about the conversation. If you haven't, think about potential directions your research might take at that program--look at the faculty list, check out other faculty that might up the ante on your committee, consider methodological/geographical questions that might impact your research. Being able to talk this out with a scholar who may soon be your adviser can only help.

Me too. I mean, I'm already accepted ak she probably just wants to court me, and this particular program has been doing my a great job at that.

I just noticed all the typos on this post.  Eek.  I was on my phone, but even so....

Just relax.  They will likely lead the conversation  (otherwise they wouldn't ask to speak) and go with it.  The aim to start opening the line of conversation and get to know each other a bit.  It's your opportunity to "interview" them too!  If you in a tiny field where the person matters more than the institution, you'll want to make sure that the person is a great fit for you.  Remember, you will be working with this person until you leave the program- or decide to switch advisers (which does happen, usually because of personality conflict or changing interests).

One thing you'd want to be aware of is that professors are held to rules set by the Council of Graduate Studies not to share your information with their present graduate students (including advisees) UNLESS you wish to be in touch with them.  It's a privacy issue- intended to protect your privacy (not theirs because their information is already public on the website).  The most professors can share with present graduate students is your general area of interest (i.e. I accepted a student doing French gender history with emphasis on Southeast Asia) until you make a final decision.

Yay!! Recruitment weekends should be fun :) enjoy being courted by the department! Do you know anyone in Colorado area?

A week from tomorrow I'm hopping on a train to Santa Barbara and I'm so freaking nervous! Anyone else have events coming up? And any other UCSB folks around here? I'd love to grab a beer or something!

It sprinkled and was cold (for California) today, but people were still walking around in short shorts and flip flops. I don't even know where to start shopping. Do I need special shoes so I don't kill and/or embarrass myself? How warm of a jacket do I need for Michigan and Minnesota in March? Is wool required? Oh god I'm hopeless haha

It sprinkled and was cold (for California) today, but people were still walking around in short shorts and flip flops. I don't even know where to start shopping. Do I need special shoes so I don't kill and/or embarrass myself? How warm of a jacket do I need for Michigan and Minnesota in March? Is wool required? Oh god I'm hopeless haha

You'll want a warm wool or down coat and some kind of boots; sometimes snows in March in the upper Midwest. You can probably make do for a visit but plan on buying a good coat if you accept!! I went to undergrad in Chicago convinced my coat from DC would be enough . . . I lasted 1 quarter.

You'll need snow boots! Warmest coat you can find, and layers.

Edited by Chiqui74

Upper Midwest in March is warm enough that I wouldn't splurge on a down coat (the nice ones can be very pricey) until I accepted - just wear the warmest one you have. Patagonia or North Face (I like Patagonia) both make nice fuzzy jackets that will be fine and last you a while; also, the Target in my town is still selling fall/winter jackets that will work.

The key is to layer - doesn't matter how warm your coat is, if you're wearing a T-shirt under it you'll freeze. Wear tights or leggings under your pants; if you're wearing a sweater, put a long sleeve shirt under it and maybe a tank top underneath that. Scarves are your friend! They look cute and keep your neck warm.

As for shoes, my favorite winter shoes are LL Bean boots and they're usually back ordered up the wazoo by now. Really, all you need in March is traction - there are random patches of ice floating around and you don't want to fall. A good pair of tennis shoes will work, and no one will begrudge you if you just change out of them.

Edited by girlscoutcookies

Thanks guys! All the information is hugely helpful. I'm more worried about falling on my face than anything else haha

I'm excited to go shopping for the first time in like 2 years! I usually wear clothes til they're unwearable (Logic says I buy coffee daily but not spend money on new jeans) so it'll be nice to have some new stuff!

I am a little biased as I am a Canadian but I would not worry too much about the cold. For the most part you can get away with normal shoes, jeans, a sweater and a winter vest. I only wear my Columbia winter jacket on the coldest of days and only if I have to be outside for a prolonged period. If just going from my car to office I don't bother. Personally I fear heat much more than cold. You can always wear more clothes when its cold but when its hot what do you do?

Don't let relocation scare you...it should be exciting.

I'm not scared, I'm super excited! But being from the Bay Area, the most mild temperature part of California, means my extent of cold-weather clothing is a 5 year old hoodie and tennis shoes. I know I'll have to add some stuff to my wardrobe, but honestly I'm so ready to move away from here and start a program. I'm giddy about it!

I'm not scared, I'm super excited! But being from the Bay Area, the most mild temperature part of California, means my extent of cold-weather clothing is a 5 year old hoodie and tennis shoes. I know I'll have to add some stuff to my wardrobe, but honestly I'm so ready to move away from here and start a program. I'm giddy about it!

Now you've said Bay Area.  I can give you better advice.  As you already know from the climate, layers are super important.  Even in Midwest.  This is what the conversation looks like between me and my grandparents when I visit over the holidays:

Grandma: "What are you going to put on?  It's 50 degrees out."

Me: "Well, this fleece jacket that I brought with me."

Grandma: "No, dear, please borrow one of my heavier raincoats."

Me: "No thanks, this rainboat has a light wool lining." (sporting LL Bean raincoat)

Grandma: "You're going out in shorts?!"

Me: "What?  I'm going for a run and I'm going to get hot."

(and I come back sweating, wearing long sleeved tech top and shorts)

Grandpa: "Which sweater do I need?  Is it cold out?" Grandma: "Which coat should I wear?"

Me: "Well, it is cold out.... I'd recommend for you, wimps, to put on the warmest thing you've got."  (sporting a light wool coat)

In other words, ashiepoo, you might want to dress for 10 degrees colder if you're not used to the cold.

Posted this in the 2015 Applications thread as well.
Is it bad form or rude to let a school know that you would like to accept their admissions offer, but you really can't 100% commit until you know what kind of funding they will offer?  My acceptance to OU is wonderful for me, but I have also been waiting three weeks to see what kind of funding they will offer me.  I already have enough debt to choke on, and I cannot add to it, so if I am not fully funded, I really can't attend.  I don't want to accept and then pull back either.  Thoughts?

Haha thanks TMP, your grandma sounds like my grandma. She's afraid I'll catch my death walking barefoot in a heated house.

I don't think that's bad form, AZMoose. Let them know they're your top choice but you need funding information before you accept their offer. These programs know most of us need funding, so they won't be surprised. Just be tactful about it.