Ford Foundation Fellowship

Mike45

Are awards divided based on discipline? In other words, are we competing mainly against others within own, or very similar, disciplines? (I applied pre-doc)

Happydays2: yes, awards are divided by discipline. the number in each discipline isn't exact and you get read in whatever area you marked as your primary area (usually but not always). My understanding is that this is based on how your first reading goes. A reader might think you're better suited in a different field and they will send your app to that review group. I think this happens more in the humanities and social science areas that are interdisciplinary (think: you marked Ethnic Studies but they think you should be read in Sociology, for instance) but I don't know because I am not a reviewer. 

I would recommend you go into the lists of past winners and see how many were awarded in each area in the past to get a better idea of the spread. 

Congrats to the winners !!! 

My primary field is Media Study (one of those weird interdisciplines...for me, it also intersects with Cultural Study, Performance, Black Studies, American Studies, etc.)

I applied twice to the Predoctoral in 2010 and 2012 and received Honorable Mention both times. Had that gap year where it was too late for the Predoc and too early for the Dissertation. Then waited another year to apply for the Dissertation. My project is so much more coherent now and I felt that as I was preparing my application this time. So to everyone who hasn't received an award, definitely keep trying! It's a long process...but so is graduate school! :)  

Congrats to those that have been selected! :)

Not to be a debbie downer, but I keep worrying about the following scenario: what if all the awarded are notified on the same day, but only a select few frequent the grad cafe often enough to post. :mellow:

If anyone has a good reason as to why the above might not be true, please share :(

Congrats to those that have been selected! :)

Not to be a debbie downer, but I keep worrying about the following scenario: what if all the awarded are notified on the same day, but only a select few frequent the grad cafe often enough to post. :mellow:

If anyone has a good reason as to why the above might not be true, please share :(

It seems odd that there haven't been any other notices. And honestly, I was expecting a Friday email result, not Monday early afternoon. So perhaps they are doing things a bit differently this year so there's no way to tell!