Ford Foundation Fellowship

Mike45

Hi Everyone, I thought I would start this thread since we are only a month away from hearing back from Ford Fellowship. I've applied for the Pre-Doctoral Award in Political Science. Lets start a good thread and let me know which field you guys have applied for and which award so we can dicuss!

I also applied for the pre-doctoral fellowship with Industrial Engineering as primary field. So anxious about hearing from schools I haven't thought about this potential award for a while! Really hope I get either this or NSF.

Hello everyone,

I also applied for the pre-doctoral fellowship, but for an interdisciplinary combination of English and Education. I've gotten one fellowship offer from one of my schools and word of one with no amount details yet from the other (which I'd prefer to attend), so I'm less anxious than I thought I would be about this fellowship. It would still be a great opportunity and honor, though.

Btw: Mid-march seems so far away...

• 1 month later...

Mike45 - I'm in a similar position, but I'm not planning to ask my department/advisor until I hear back from Ford. No reason to let them think about taking money away, haha.

I already have full-funding from my PhD program, how do they account for the funding If I receive ford?

I think it depends on the department. Many departments will just carry your funding over to the next year. That way you can use the Ford this year, then basically have the next year to use that funding: if you had 4 years of funding + 1 Ford = 5 total years of funding instead of just 4 years through your department. (I think that made sense...if not, my bad).

I need to stop checking my email like a crazy person, did this before I got a Fulbright for research... :wacko:

Here is something I have been following as well: http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/Dissertation_Fellowships_2015-2016(they have a section on the Dissertation and Predoc Ford).

I think it depends on the department. Many departments will just carry your funding over to the next year. That way you can use the Ford this year, then basically have the next year to use that funding: if you had 4 years of funding + 1 Ford = 5 total years of funding instead of just 4 years through your department. (I think that made sense...if not, my bad).

I need to stop checking my email like a crazy person, did this before I got a Fulbright for research... :wacko:

Here is something I have been following as well: http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/Dissertation_Fellowships_2015-2016(they have a section on the Dissertation and Predoc Ford).

I believe you could also defer Ford for up to 2 years.

Also, I applied for the Pre-doctoral Fellowship in Ethnic Studies.

I applied for the dissertation fellowship and haven't heard anything either. I, too, was hoping notification would be similar to last year and we would have started hearing back this past Friday.

If the Ford Foundation follows the same notification pattern they have in previous years and emails the first batch of results on Fridays, I wonder if obsessively checking my email is a futile act until later this week...

How do you all know the approximate notification dates from previous years? Just from friends and/or previous experience, or is it posted somewhere?

From reading previous years' threads on here and other forums. It appears that the Ford Foundation takes 2-3 days to notify applicants, with the first round occurring on a Thursday or Friday and the remainder early the next week. Since the program said notification of awards would take place in March, many were hopeful it would follow the same pattern as last year with notifications beginning on 3/21/2014, which is the earliest that they've notified applicants. However, someone called the NRC office last week and posted on the academic jobs wiki saying that announcements would "probably be made by early April." So who knows.

Thanks! I remember seeing "notifications will be made in early April," somewhere when I submitted my app too, so I was a little confused about why people were talking about receiving notifications in March. But, maybe different awards are notified at different times: I applied for the predoctoral. In any case, I hope we find out soon!