Something unusual with CMU masters acceptance???

wangziqi2013

Just like somebody said on the result page, there are too many acceptances from CMU masters program this year

Is it a mistake (a sleepy operator accidentally added everybody to the mailing list for acceptance)? Or just some statistical outcome (say, more people are reporting to the gradcafe this year? They have 8% acceptance rate for master program in CS)

Just hope it was not a mistake! I received my acceptance this morning, and I have broadcasted the good news to all my relatives and friends! I can't imagine how they would respond if I told them later that it was a mistake!!

Dont think so, but if you have any doubts about it you should contact the grad adm. dept...

I got rejected, was kinda sad, but i wasnt going to attend anyway. Congratulations to you and to all that got accepted!!!

So I heard this from a friend studying at CMU. The CS program in CMU (compared with LTI, ML, RI etc) is taking more and more students to earn more money. But I mean, why do you have to doubt? I still couldn't get into CMU, so congrats!

So I heard this from a friend studying at CMU. The CS program in CMU (compared with LTI, ML, RI etc) is taking more and more students to earn more money. But I mean, why do you have to doubt? I still couldn't get into CMU, so congrats!

That's a relief

And good luck to the rest of your applications!

There are some rejections mixed in with the acceptances for CMU today, if it was a mistake I don't think some people would get rejected and some would be accepted.

Also presidents day is not a holiday for most of the US. As much as I would have liked to be on vacation, we weren't.

Edited by <ian>

There are some rejections mixed in with the acceptances for CMU today, if it was a mistake I don't think some people would get rejected and some would be accepted.

Also presidents day is not a holiday for most of the US. As much as I would have liked to be on vacation, we weren't.

One situation: maybe they accidentally reverted their decision: All "accept" should go to decline and all "reject" should go to accept

If that is the case then the result distribution is quite normal (and again, another year of massacre)

I was accepted this morning, but then received a correction email outlining a rejection:

"Earlier this morning, we mistakenly sent you an offer of admission to
Carnegie Mellon's MS in CS program.  This was an error on our part.
While we certainly appreciate your interest in our program, we regret
that we are unable to offer you admission this year.

Again, we are sorry for our miscommunication earlier today and we

apologize for any confusion or inconvenience this has caused."

Edited by controlc

One situation: maybe they accidentally reverted their decision: All "accept" should go to decline and all "reject" should go to accept

If that is the case then the result distribution is quite normal (and again, another year of massacre)

seems that way, people are posting updates.

Calm down. I'm upset too but mistakes do happen. Besides, no point letting this affect your mood for the new year?

Thanks buddy

I am just feeling sorry for my parents.... After hearing about the good news they have decided to go out for a celebration. I don't know how to confront them now with the apparent disappointment.

Thanks buddy

I am just feeling sorry for my parents.... After hearing about the good news they have decided to go out for a celebration. I don't know how to confront them now with the apparent disappointment.

Sorry to hear that. But it is not your fault anyway. Just go ahead and celebrate the (lunar) new year!

Thanks buddy

Yeah that is a really hard thing to deal with.

Is cmu your only application?

Edited by <ian>

Thanks buddy

Ouch...I guess I was lucky that time zones meant I only saw the first email 15 minutes before the second arrived, so I didn't even have the time to tell my parents.

Yeah that is a really hard thing to deak with.

Is cmu your only application?

Yeap. I withdrawn from decent work (at E///), contacted several professors for recomm. letter, and tried to acquire further education

And the reality is so cruel

Edited by wangziqi2013

Wow, I am so sorry for you.  I cannot imagine how upsetting that must be.  That is incredibly gross negligence on their part and I don't agree that things just happen and it is no big deal.  I believe that is an incredibly big deal for a school to do that.

Yeah.
I first received an acceptance email from CMU's MS in CS.

Later, 7 hours, I woke up to see that there was a revocation email.

Now, I'm not sure that both emails are officially.

P.S. I have emailed to ask from them. But I think it needs some time because it's almost midnight at CMU.

Yeah.

I first received an acceptance email from CMU's MS in CS.

Later, 7 hours, I woke up to see that there was a revocation email.

Now, I'm not sure that both emails are officially.

P.S. I have emailed to ask from them. But I think it needs some time because it's almost midnight at CMU.

I feel sorry about that

Could you please clarify a little bit, is there direct rejection in revocation or just saying previous decisions are invalid?

I got a direct rejection. Seems not at all any hope to wait for official explanation.

Yes, there is a direct rejection in revocation.
I will quote it.
"Earlier this morning, we mistakenly sent you an offer of admission to

Carnegie Mellon's MS in CS program.  This was an error on our part.
While we certainly appreciate your interest in our program, we regret
that we are unable to offer you admission this year."

And the email I sent later to ask them about both acceptance and revocation emails.
They have replied me already.

"Dear (my name),

Both did, in fact, come from the CS Department. Unfortunately, the
second email is correct. You were not admitted to the program. The
first email was in error. We are very sorry for our mistake.

Take good care,"

This is really unfortunate and if I'd gotten these emails I'd be heartbroken, but there are posts about getting lawyers. I'm wondering what that would accomplish. Deprive CMU of more funding so that they can accept even fewer students and have fewer resources to refine their admissions process? 

I hope they issue a formal apology and explanation but suing isn't going to accomplish anything. 

* As I've still heard absolutely nothing from CMU, I'm totally not impacted by this so it's easy for me to say this kind of stuff