Geography Apps - Canadian Univs 2015

Shivanator

Hey guys, 

Recently found this forum. It's so good to find a community that shares the anxieties and happiness as it comes.

I applied to 2 Universities for the PhD Geography 1) U of T and 2) Wilfrid Laurier.

Does anyone know when they are expected to send their decisions?

Thanks!

Good luck Shiva. I came very close to applying to Toronto, but ended up going for a different dept, which didn't work out and I now regret it. I have, however, effectively gotten into York, but like you would be a foreign student. The big issue for me is funding for tuition b/c there's very little for people like us and we pay a much higher tuition, I'm guessing Toronto has a bit more. I would love to take the offer, but am really in a dilemma b/c it's expensive (despite the stipend they give you) and so leaves you w/debt, but I didn't get in anywhere else either. So I feel like I'm kind of "up a creek," so to speak. Have to make a decision by the end of next month. Hope you get into U of T, then maybe we could meet up. Best of luck!

Hi Breaks, thanks for the response.

Finance--It is quite worrisome when making these decisions. I have applied for a couple grants/scholarships--so i'm hoping there. If I have a choice though, I would choose Laurier simply because my potential supervisor's work is spot on with mine, and she's pretty well recognised all over. But then funding is the issue.

I wish you luck in making this decision. Please, let me know which direction you've taken.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update, b/c the grad student union has won the strike at York and since I was mistaken about my acceptance, it appears I won't be  going to York. Or else anywhere in  the fall, I'm 0-10 or 0-11 on phd apps this Fall. For many reasons, my academic future is in the gutter and may be down the drain, it's not looking good at all. Good luck to the rest of you.

Edited by breaks0

Update, b/c the grad student union has won the strike at York and since I was mistaken about my acceptance, it appears I won't be  going to York. Or else anywhere in  the fall, I'm 0-10 or 0-11 on phd apps this Fall. For many reasons, my academic future is in the gutter and may be down the drain, it's not looking good at all. Good luck to the rest of you.

This is Crazy....what happened? I'm sorry :(

I didn't get into U of T as well :/ so it goes. Waiting on my 2nd app result.

I'm not too surprised at this. The POI advised  from the start that they "usually" take just two international students each academic years simply cause the fees are too much.

Edited by Shivanator

How many do they take in total?

This is Crazy....what happened? I'm sorry :(

I didn't get into U of T as well :/ so it goes. Waiting on my 2nd app result.

I'm not too surprised at this. The POI advised  from the start that they "usually" take just two international students each academic years simply cause the fees are too much.

Sorry to hear and thanks Shiva. I can see Toronto's dept is good, but given its size (number of facuty) I'm quite surprised they take so few people. The school has alot more money than York and I would've thus expected them to take more foreigners. I'm not totally sure what happened w/York, I think my "POI" gave me some inaccurate info about my chances in the course of my phone interview, leading me to think I had a better shot than I actually did. As far as the US goes, I don't know, my GRE math score was poor, the ranking percentile anyway, my CV is weak on work experience and I guess at this point b/c I haven't been a fulltime student in a few years and maybe my refs and statements weren't strong and/or focused enough, this kept me out of everywhere. In the US schools, probably my interest in Marxism and rural political economy/development probably didn't help. Since this is the 2nd year in a row this has happened (at least I got 1 unfunded offer a year ago from the US), I'm out of ideas where my life will go from here. My high student debt makes all that worse, so I'm feeling worried  about my future and burnt out now. .

Edited by breaks0

Chin up. Life has many unopened doors - sometimes we become tunneled vision because we're so hopeful for one thing. This could be the best thing for you without you even knowing it.

As far as debt go that is scary but student loans aren't neatly as bad. Its better to focus on career oriented goals if PhD is being stalled. And usually the money falls into place too. Good luck breaks0

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, I am writing with some GREAT news! Over the Easter weekend I sent a note to the Grad Coordinator at Wilfrid Laurier enquiring as to when applicants would be notified of results.The next working day I received 3 emails one after the other.

The first notifying me that I was accepted to the PhD Geography programme!

The second the letter to provide to the High Commission to obtain the study permit.

The third...CONGRATS on my award of the Ontario Trillium Scholarship!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm thrilled beyond words!!!!!!!! :D

Hi All, I am writing with some GREAT news! Over the Easter weekend I sent a note to the Grad Coordinator at Wilfrid Laurier enquiring as to when applicants would be notified of results.The next working day I received 3 emails one after the other.

The first notifying me that I was accepted to the PhD Geography programme!

The second the letter to provide to the High Commission to obtain the study permit.

The third...CONGRATS on my award of the Ontario Trillium Scholarship!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm thrilled beyond words!!!!!!!! :D

Big congrats!!!

Which area of geography are you focusing on?

Big congrats!!!

Which area of geography are you focusing on?

Thanks! At the MPhil level I took a social/cultural geography approach to study. At this level though, I intend on focussing a bit more on political geography--specifically immigration policy and diasporas.

Thanks! At the MPhil level I took a social/cultural geography approach to study. At this level though, I intend on focussing a bit more on political geography--specifically immigration policy and diasporas.

That sounds interesting! Good luck!