Trust me you will know when I know...

Lately everyone and their mom has been asking me if I have heard back from any of my schools. I mean family members have been texting me, friends have been messaging me on Facebook, students in the department have been emailing me to ask.

I absolutely love that they are being supportive and that they are excited to hear the news, but I have yet to hear back from any of my schools and every message I get from them makes me more and more anxious about the pending decisions. I mean crap, what if none of the departments accept me? Not only will I feel like I let me self down, but I will inevitably feel like I let them down. I'm sure that when I hear back there won't be a person within 10 miles of me that can't hear me screaming from excitement. I just feel like they will definitely know when I know. 

Anyone else going through this? 

Oh yes.  Every time I run into a coworker (which happens a LOT over the course of a typical day then you're a teacher), every email from my mother, even on Facebook . . . and this has made me love my dog all the more.  She never asks if I've heard back from any more schools.

What's worse is when they don't understand how competitive many graduate programs are (<2% acceptance rates?! come on!) and they keep asking you how many schools you got into.

"What, you haven't heard from anyone yet? What's the deal? Oh well, you're smart -- I bet you get into every program you applied for!" -___-

Yeah I get a lot of "Did you get your acceptance yet?"  GAH.  4% admit rate!!!  It is not a sure thing!!!  Does they think that that's because 96% of the applications they receive are just grossly unqualified?

I get the "Anything from graduate schools yet?" everyday from my kids.  I love the fact that we, as a family, are so into each other's lives.  At the same time I want them to shut up.  One of my 12 year olds actually asked today "Does me asking bother you Mom?"  I (I hope in a tactful way) replied "No hon, I love that you ask.  It means you care.  At the same time, you guys will know IMMEDIATELY when I get in."  His response.."Does that mean you'll either be screaming 'I GOT IN' or crying?" Me.."Yep."  

I've got smart kids.

Oh yep every day. Every evening when I talk to my parents they ask me if I have heard anything, and, well no I haven't. When I hear something, they will immediately hear as well. I have told everyone that keeps asking that it doesn't help me that they keep asking because it makes me more nervous than I already am.

Doesn't it just feel like they should know that you would definitely tell them as soon as you find out? I know for a fact I would barely even be able to say hello to them without blurting out that I got in somewhere hahah 

Oh yes.  Every time I run into a coworker (which happens a LOT over the course of a typical day then you're a teacher), every email from my mother, even on Facebook . . . and this has made me love my dog all the more.  She never asks if I've heard back from any more schools.

Pets are good that way! Although I'm sure out at will freak the hell out if I get an acceptance letter and start screaming and jumping up and down.... makes me wish I still had a dog. She would definitely get all excited too if I starting screaming and jumping around the house. 

What's worse is when they don't understand how competitive many graduate programs are (<2% acceptance rates?! come on!) and they keep asking you how many schools you got into.

"What, you haven't heard from anyone yet? What's the deal? Oh well, you're smart -- I bet you get into every program you applied for!" -___-

That line of questioning always get me too! I appreciate the positivity, but I'm always left wondering if they realize exactly how difficult it is to get in to some of these departments. 

"I'm sure you'll get in!" is what I get pretty often.  :(

I can almost guarantee that I will be hit with that response at least once a day haha 

Yeah I get a lot of "Did you get your acceptance yet?"  GAH.  4% admit rate!!!  It is not a sure thing!!!  Does they think that that's because 96% of the applications they receive are just grossly unqualified?

I cringe whenever someone has that to me hahah I'm a mildly superstitious person, so I always feel like they are going to jinx it for me. 

I get the "Anything from graduate schools yet?" everyday from my kids.  I love the fact that we, as a family, are so into each other's lives.  At the same time I want them to shut up.  One of my 12 year olds actually asked today "Does me asking bother you Mom?"  I (I hope in a tactful way) replied "No hon, I love that you ask.  It means you care.  At the same time, you guys will know IMMEDIATELY when I get in."  His response.."Does that mean you'll either be screaming 'I GOT IN' or crying?" Me.."Yep."  

I've got smart kids.

:)  Your kids definitely sound smart! My daughter feels (rightfully so) like she has a lot riding on the decision. She is really concerned that we are going to have to move to another city.  

Doesn't it just feel like they should know that you would definitely tell them as soon as you find out? I know for a fact I would barely even be able to say hello to them without blurting out that I got in somewhere hahah 

You would think that, right? I was at work when I got my first acceptance and called everyone, so yeah, they know basically as soon as I do. Thankfully my parents have kind of kept quiet about it because they know, but everyone that isn't in proximity to me (extended family, distant friends, etc) keep asking. If I haven't rented my Times Square billboard to announce it yet, I HAVEN'T HEARD!!