For those of you who have taken the GRE...?

jlee306

Hi, my friend and I went to the library yesterday to study for the GRE together. We each have different study guides and they are both 2009 editions. However, they were very different. Mine tells us that there will be 28 math questions to take in 45 minutes whereas my friend's book says there are 60 math questions to be taken in 60 minutes. Also, her book shows that the math section will throw in symbols such as hearts and stars to throw the student off but my book says absolutly nothing about that! I am so confused and worried now after seeing that our books are sooooo different. I am wanting to know from those of you who have taken the GRE, are there symbols on the test? How long is the math and verbal sections? Anything else you would like to add would be appreciated! Thank you very much!

JackieW is right. You should get it straight from the horse's mouth. However, I am curious...what company published the book that your friend was using? They must be REALLY out of touch to still make such claims 3 (I think it's 3) years after the GRE moved away from that format!

You know, I was thinking, and I don't mean to insult your intelligence (or your friend's!)... but is it possible that you were looking at a SAT book?! 60 minutes and 60 questions sounds closer to a SAT than a GRE, if I remember correctly...

I think you're looking at the Barron's guide, because I seem to remember it saying there would be 60 questions with 60 minutes. It's a good study guide aside from that, but it's 28 questions in 45 minutes (if I remember correctly), not 60 and 60.

i wish i had an onscreen caculator. haha what book are you studying from? so far it sounds like total gabage

Neither of the books mentioned anything about a caculator...I think that person was referring to the two books that were put on this post as links.

You know, I was thinking, and I don't mean to insult your intelligence (or your friend's!)... but is it possible that you were looking at a SAT book?! 60 minutes and 60 questions sounds closer to a SAT than a GRE, if I remember correctly...

Haha, no...your not insulting my intelligence. My book is Cracking the GRE and I don't remember what my friends is called but I will ask her tomorrow and post it on here later. I did tons and tons of research on all the possible study guides and finially decided that Cracking the GRE was for me...it agrees with everything from ets.org. I don't know at the moment what company my book is from, so I will have to look in the morning. My friend's book was orginially her mom's but her mom found out that she didn't need to take the GRE because something about already being a teacher and not needing it...I don't know really but her mother is in a Master's program right now to become a school counselor. I asked her what year it was printed and she said 2009 but I don't know that she really knew. I will check all that out tomorrow and let everyone know the specifics.

One of the books mentioned an 'on screen calculator.' No such thing exists, right?

Actually, I was selected for an experimental quant section that had an on screen calculator. It currently is not part of the official test, but apparently ETS is considering adding questions that use it in the future.