Looking for Advice

Euromaniac

I've been more-or-less shut out this year, which isn't a complete surprise but obviously not something anyone applying is hoping for.

I was wondering if anyone who is more successful would mind looking at my materials and giving me advice on what my next move should be.

I would post that information here, but I would prefer to do this in a one-on-one context.

So if you'd be willing to help, please message me. Thanks.

My AOI are 19th and 20th century continental, with some interest in the history of modern. More specifically I'm into figures like Nietzsche and Heidegger. I'm primarily interested in American schools.

Edited by Euromaniac

Just curious: how many schools did you apply for, and how many were in the top 10 ranked on PGR?

E.g., I applied only to 6, and none were top 20

Edited by Turretin

Just curious: how many schools did you apply for, and how many were in the top 10 ranked on PGR?

E.g., I applied only to 6, and none were top 20

I applied to 14. None were ranked top 10 in PGR, but they were all SPEP programs.

I've been more-or-less shut out this year, which isn't a complete surprise but obviously not something anyone applying is hoping for.

I was wondering if anyone who is more successful would mind looking at my materials and giving me advice on what my next move should be.

I would post that information here, but I would prefer to do this in a one-on-one context.

So if you'd be willing to help, please message me. Thanks.

My AOI are 19th and 20th century continental, with some interest in the history of modern. More specifically I'm into figures like Nietzsche and Heidegger. I'm primarily interested in American schools.

I would be willing to (try to) help, though I don't claim to be the most qualified to help.

I think philstudent's question is important. Along these lines, there are a few MA programs that take applications after March 1 (or at least there used to be such programs). So it may not be too late to drop another $75 to apply to one of those. Maybe someone who applied this year would have more information for you than I.

I'm willing to help. I've applied to all of the strong SPEP schools, and have gotten several acceptances. We have the same AOI. Send me your stuff, I'll try to help as much as I can. Good luck.

Also, turretin, the PGR ratings are absolutely stupid and close to useless when considering Continental programs, despite what Leiter claims. 

Edited by nietzxsche

I'm willing to help. I've applied to all of the strong SPEP schools, and have gotten several acceptances. We have the same AOI. Send me your stuff, I'll try to help as much as I can. Good luck.

Also, turretin, the PGR ratings are absolutely stupid and close to useless when considering Continental programs, despite what Leiter claims. 

Thank you for your opinion, however I was not privvy to his/her AOIs at the time I posted.

Edited by Turretin

Same as OP, I would really appreciate it if someone could look at my materials and provide advice.

My main AOI are Philosophy of Science and Epistemology.

Please message me if you are willing to help. Thanks!

It isn't my area, but here at LSU there are two people that have expert knowledge in Heidegger (Greg Schufreider and Francois Raffoul). John Protevi knows him pretty well too. Schufreider and Raffoul both work on Nietzsche pretty extensively, too. Jon Cogburn knows a bit of both, but isn't an expert in either. Protevi does quite a bit of history of modern philosophy, so knows Nietzsche pretty well. I'm on the analytic side of the department doing phil science and logic, so I can't really evaluate their expertise, but I know that they're considered as having one. 

I'm just curious, do you come from a highly reputable undergraduate institution? I think that does play a very large factor. I know my profs said that was what was going to hurt me the most in the admissions game. I have achieved acceptances to non-PGR ranked programs (USF, Temple and Wayne State)- were the programs you applied to ranked on the PGR at all? I know you said no top 10, but i mean even up to top 30 and so are extremely competitive. 

It isn't my area, but here at LSU there are two people that have expert knowledge in Heidegger (Greg Schufreider and Francois Raffoul). John Protevi knows him pretty well too. Schufreider and Raffoul both work on Nietzsche pretty extensively, too. Jon Cogburn knows a bit of both, but isn't an expert in either. Protevi does quite a bit of history of modern philosophy, so knows Nietzsche pretty well. I'm on the analytic side of the department doing phil science and logic, so I can't really evaluate their expertise, but I know that they're considered as having one. 

LSU is definitely a program I was/am looking at. I didn't apply this season, but I plan to next if I don't end up anywhere. I've used Protevi's notes online for my readings of Deleuze, so I'll definitely look into it. Thanks

I'm just curious, do you come from a highly reputable undergraduate institution? I think that does play a very large factor. I know my profs said that was what was going to hurt me the most in the admissions game. I have achieved acceptances to non-PGR ranked programs (USF, Temple and Wayne State)- were the programs you applied to ranked on the PGR at all? I know you said no top 10, but i mean even up to top 30 and so are extremely competitive. 

I am from a SLAC with very little prestige, almost none in philosophy. I applied to a couple programs in the PGR rankings, like Northwestern, but mostly SPEP schools.

Edited by Euromaniac