What's your jam?

bootstrapbill2

Long-time lurker, just curious what everybody on here is interested in. I'm super interested in the Greco-Roman cultic background to the New Testament, incorporating things like divinatory practice, the cultic roles and experiences of women, and all that jazz. What lights your Religious Studies/Theology/Divinity fire?

Theology and race, specifically the work of the Duke School (J. Kameron Carter, Willie James Jennings, and Brian Bantum). Hoping to do something that combines race, liturgy, sacraments, christology, and theological anthropology.

German theology and social theory at the turn of the 20th century (Weber, Troeltsch, Holl), critical theory, political theology, Neo-Kantian philosophy of history and religion, theory and method in religious studies.

I'm curious about the religious experience among gay, black men. I am curious as to how their lived experiences problematize christian theology and other religious ideologies. Also, I'm curious as to how the church as a social institution can facilitate positive and negative effects on black, gay men.

My current undergraduate research in studying how gay, young black men interprete scripture and how that interpretation influences their sexual orientation.

• 4 weeks later...

Patristic interpretations of justification and righteousness, the use of philosophy in Eastern Orthodoxy.

I'm also interested in patristic adaptations of Greek philosophy and how those affect Eastern Orthodoxy. I'm hoping to specifically focus on the Cappadocians (specifically, Gregory of Nyssa) and maybe even Denys, Maximus, and John of Damascus. 

Edited by Jonjae