MFA arts 2015: FUNDING AND DECISIONS

Milkyways

Hi, Carter Johnson.

I wanted to ask this more about Hunter not offering funding. Would only mind giving more info/details about that. It would really help because I am introducing interviewing there.

Hi TEM33056,

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

Hunter is relatively quite cheap compared to other "good" programs since it is a part of a public university. If you can qualify as in-state at any point, the tuition is even less. On the other hand, any amount of dollars that numbers in the thousands is difficult to come by, so I only say that it relatively cheap, not that any school actually IS cheap. Also consider that NYC is a rather expensive place to live. Of course, one might also get federal grants and federal loans.

But there are huge benefits to Hunter despite the lack of funding: the number of artists and art available is unparalleled, the cache of the program is quite something in the city, and most students in the program take 3 years to complete it which will allow you to work a bit more (many students are studio assistants to other artists) than the strictly 2-year programs on offer in most schools.

So, how did your interview go?

Thanks for the response Carterjohnson,
I think you brought up some great points about Hunter.

I think my interview went well.  I stayed for the Open Studios after, which was great but a little exhausting. I hope that my work can be a fit for the program. There didn't seem to be a lot of people there doing figurative work, but then again, that seems to be the case at many schools.

How did your interview go

Thanks for the response Carterjohnson,

I think you brought up some great points about Hunter.

I think my interview went well.  I stayed for the Open Studios after, which was great but a little exhausting. I hope that my work can be a fit for the program. There didn't seem to be a lot of people there doing figurative work, but then again, that seems to be the case at many schools.

How did your interview go

Yeah...it was really hard for me to find a program that felt like it really had a good mix of figurative art and then more pattern based/ abstract art. I specifically tried to look for this....Blehg. I had a hell of a time trying to find places I liked..Maybe I'm picky?

I would hesitate to pick a program SOLELY on financial concerns.

Certainly, money is paramount, but there are many other reasons to choose a program. Weigh all the pros and cons, tangibles and intangibles.

I have to second this. Last year I had a few options and ended up choosing the best program "on paper." There was little cost to me, and I was dazzled by the way the numbers worked and lost sight of the fact that I'd never really connected with the school. I ended up regretting my choice to the point of pulling the plug before beginning the program. Just because the finances are right doesn't mean the program is an automatic fit. Make sure the program speaks to your soul and makes your heart flutter a bit!

I have to second this. Last year I had a few options and ended up choosing the best program "on paper." There was little cost to me, and I was dazzled by the way the numbers worked and lost sight of the fact that I'd never really connected with the school. I ended up regretting my choice to the point of pulling the plug before beginning the program. Just because the finances are right doesn't mean the program is an automatic fit. Make sure the program speaks to your soul and makes your heart flutter a bit!

I agree on the fact that the decision should not be made solely on financial matters, but that decision should have been made before you applied. Nobody should apply to a program just because it's free. Now the hard part is to decide from a pool of programs that you actually like, but where the ideal one (from the academic point of view) doesn't offer as much funding as the "less ideal one" . At this point you need to see if taking up a loan, or having a job while you study might affect your performance during the MFA or your career after it.

Edited by Milkyways

I agree on the fact that the decision should not be made solely on financial matters, but that decision should have been made before you applied. Nobody should apply to a program just because it's free. Now the hard part is to decide from a pool of programs that you actually like, but where the ideal one (from the academic point of view) doesn't offer as much funding as the "less ideal one" . At this point you need to see if taking up a loan, or having a job while you study might affect your performance during the MFA or your career after it.

You're absolutely right. Have you made a decision yourself which one you'll choose?

You're absolutely right. Have you made a decision yourself which one you'll choose?

Carter, I am not entirely sure yet, but I'm thinking Northwestern for now. I was waitig for USCroski but got waitlisted, and Carnegie Mellon is absolutely wonderful but I honestly don't think I'll be chosen (I said "this is why I applied to Cornell" (!!!) during the interview LOL). Plus it's not free. What do you think? What about you?

Carter, I am not entirely sure yet, but I'm thinking Northwestern for now. I was waitig for USCroski but got waitlisted, and Carnegie Mellon is absolutely wonderful but I honestly don't think I'll be chosen (I said "this is why I applied to Cornell" (!!!) during the interview LOL). Plus it's not free. What do you think? What about you?

I really don't know. I mean, the offer that I got from Rutgers is simply unbelievable. I've never heard of any school matching this sort of offer. But it's not only about the money of course; so, considering everything, I find myself uncertain. Nevertheless, I still haven't been accepted to Hunter yet, and if I am not, well then... then I have no decision to make at all!

But you're so lucky, you got into so many places. The offer to Alfred seems amazing.

I really don't know. I mean, the offer that I got from Rutgers is simply unbelievable. I've never heard of any school matching this sort of offer. But it's not only about the money of course; so, considering everything, I find myself uncertain. Nevertheless, I still haven't been accepted to Hunter yet, and if I am not, well then... then I have no decision to make at all!

But you're so lucky, you got into so many places. The offer to Alfred seems amazing.

Alfred was my n1, but I don't have enough savings to support myself during the mfa and the stipend isn't enough to cover living expenses, and honestly I don't think it's easy to find a job in a small town like Alfred. So yeah... I had to pass. 

What do you like about Rutgers, what do you like about Hunter?

Alfred was my n1, but I don't have enough savings to support myself during the mfa and the stipend isn't enough to cover living expenses, and honestly I don't think it's easy to find a job in a small town like Alfred. So yeah... I had to pass. 

What do you like about Rutgers, what do you like about Hunter?

I like the program at Rutgers because it is small and because for its size, there are several people with whom I am interested in working. And of course there's the money, which means I won't have to work very much to make ends meet.

Hunter is near where I live: the studios are about 15 minutes from me door to door, I already know many of the faculty and am very interested in working more with the ones with whom I have already worked and working with those whom I haven't yet worked. It's also in NYC and so many people in the art world keep up with what's going on there, go to open studios, etc.

Hello all,

I have been accepted to many schools with different offers and I think I've narrowed it down to 3 schools.

University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign  (painting and sculpture)  Full ride,  50% TA, $7999  stipend for 9 months each year

University of Iowa (Painting and Drawing)  Full ride, 25% TA, $9100 stipend for 9 months each year, $3000 fellow ship for first year.

University of Minnesota Minneapolis (Painting and Drawing)  Full ride, 50% TA, $12000 stipend for 9 months each year, $1500 thesis grant for final year.

I'm heading out to visit them soon.  I was wondering if you all new anything about these programs and their cities that would potentially help me out.  This is a crazy hard decision for me.

Thanks everyone.  The merry go round is almost over.

Does anyone know about when to expect SVA's financial aid info? I thought it'd have arrived around now but... not yet. 

I received word of a small financial award a couple days ago.  You might want to contact JP, but I'm sure you'll hear soon.

Hi guys! long time lurker here.

So, this was my 3rd time applying to grad school for painting with little luck before and I've been pleasantly surprised with the outcomes.  I'm hoping I might be able to get some advice from you all that will help me make my decision SOON.

I have been accepted to Yale but because they require parent's financial information (my mother refuses to provide this) then I will most likely receive zero funding to attend.  I was phoned by Rutgers yesterday and offered a teaching assistantship which would give me full tuition plus $25,000 per year.  So, is the Yale prestige and the "promise" of gallery representation really worth $100,000? I'm leaning towards Rutgers at the moment and drool at the thought of being able to make all and any painting I could want to make while I'm there since I won't be worried about money. It's the best problem to have and I have been SO fortunate, but, HELP!!!

I would speak with Yale and not rule it out.

But if they do not provide any funding....you will have to weight out your options...I mean you have to think if that much debt is going to hinder your progress in the future. Or if you'll have to work harder to be able to afford a living if you go to Yale , andthat will cut into your art work time.

I would be leaning towards taking the full tuition offer at Rutgers,but then again I really liked Rutgers and am jealous you got in with that much funding hahahah XD! Plus that stipend...

if you are the type that can hustle for representation (and don't need something like Yale to put you in front of more eyes) then why go to Yale if you can get a great education at another school that will also benefit your work?

I would ask Rutgers about their MFA thesis show? What kind of location is it in? Do students have the potential of getting gallery offers? I know at two of the schools that I applied for they told me there is an opprotunity to show in New York and that some of their students (still a select few, but hey it's possible) had been approached by galleries.

So, this was my 3rd time applying to grad school for painting with little luck before and I've been pleasantly surprised with the outcomes.  I'm hoping I might be able to get some advice from you all that will help me make my decision SOON.

I have been accepted to Yale but because they require parent's financial information (my mother refuses to provide this) then I will most likely receive zero funding to attend.  I was phoned by Rutgers yesterday and offered a teaching assistantship which would give me full tuition plus $25,000 per year.  So, is the Yale prestige and the "promise" of gallery representation really worth $100,000? I'm leaning towards Rutgers at the moment and drool at the thought of being able to make all and any painting I could want to make while I'm there since I won't be worried about money. It's the best problem to have and I have been SO fortunate, but, HELP!!!

Hey Jaygray,

Is this your third time applying to Yale?  I was interviewed, but not accepted or even waitlisted this year in sculpture.  I'm thinking about trying again next year, but it feels like a big risk.  I don't know if I should just accept the fact that they're not that into me, or take time to be able to go back with better work in my portfolio next year. 

Were you waitlisted previously?  I've heard that gives you a good shot of getting in the next year.  Would love to hear about your experience.

thanks!

And in response to your question - here's the perspective I've gotten in my similar dilemma (paying tuition at a top tier school vs. full funding at another good, but not as reputable program).  Going to Yale has no guarantee of success, however, it does put you in a position to have a lot of doors opened and opportunities presented to you.  If you're able to fully take advantage of those opportunities, in my opinion it's worth it to go for it.  The question is, is the money piece of the equation going to put you in a situation where your work is compromised in a significant way, during and/or after coming out of the program.  If the answer is no, again, I'd go for it if I were you.  Just the fact that Yale on your cv gives you way better of odds of securing a good teaching gig in the future would for me equal a solid return on the investment. 

This is only though if you think Yale is the place where you're going to do your best work.  If being at Rutgers with the freedom to experiment, and not stress about cash would equate to you creating more freely, and the specifics of the program are just as good for you (faculty, facilities, etc), then no reason not to go that route.

If gallery representation is important for you, I'd say stick with Yale and try to find alternate funding so you alleviate the loan. If you do some research yourself you'll notice that the most prestigious galleries are full with young artists that went to prestigious schools either for grad or undergrad (ak Yale, Columbia, UCLA, SVA, Rhode Island, Tyler) some German people and very very VERY rarely with people from less prestigious schools. That's for top galleries. If your goal is to be in THOSE galleries, well Yale. Probably less prestigious galleries won't be as school-elitist.

If gallery representation is important for you, I'd say stick with Yale and try to find alternate funding so you alleviate the loan. If you do some research yourself you'll notice that the most prestigious galleries are full with young artists that went to prestigious schools either for grad or undergrad (ak Yale, Columbia, UCLA, SVA, Rhode Island, Tyler) some German people and very very VERY rarely with people from less prestigious schools. That's for top galleries. If your goal is to be in THOSE galleries, well Yale. Probably less prestigious galleries won't be as school-elitist.

Really? Ahg that kinda sucks though :/

Is art school just a new way to establish a from of 'academy' like back in the day of the Salon? You have certain artists teaching the next line of 'acceptable ' artists who then feed into the system and it is a large cycle used to keep control of the flow of art....

Mn maybe I am just being pessimistic. perhaps the best do usually go to the prestigious schools?

Really? Ahg that kinda sucks though :/

Is art school just a new way to establish a from of 'academy' like back in the day of the Salon? You have certain artists teaching the next line of 'acceptable ' artists who then feed into the system and it is a large cycle used to keep control of the flow of art....

Mn maybe I am just being pessimistic. perhaps the best do usually go to the prestigious schools?

I believe that doesn't really have to do with art itself or art education as a whole but more with the American art market and the elitist social structure. It's just a matter of networking. I don't think you need to be tied by these structures as an artist if you don't want to, but he specifically said "gallery representation". If you attach value to selling your work for millions of dollars then it's logical you'll want to have connections with people who can buy that in the most prestigious schools, because ultimately these people are paying for that prestige, and not for the work itself.

Edited by Milkyways

Would people put Tyler on this list in terms of prestige, and access to top gallery representation?  Tyler's program looks great, but I don't see evidence of a lot of alumni success.  I don't have any real expert knowledge of the US gallery system or art world, so this may just be my limited perspective.  Interested to hear what others think of this.

Edited by walker44

Thanks for your input everyone.

walker44, my partner is just finishing his MFA in painting at Tyler and the program is great but it is not designed to establish you as an artist like they say some of the top schools do.  However, some of my favorite work comes from Tyler alum and they go on to do great things.  one of the people who interviewed me at Yale (William Villalongo) is a Tyler alum so you see where that got him.  also, if we are basing these ideas of "top schools" off of the US world and news report we need to keep in mind that the list was last updated in 2012.  I believe a school like Rutgers is just as good as Tyler and other Top 10s so it is not like I would be sacrificing a great education by going there.  Both Tyler and Rutgers were recently on the list for "best bang for your buck" which is making them way more appealing to those artists entering grad school who would be in a good place to continue making work post grad school.

also is seems like the attention students receive from faculty at schools like Rutgers and Tyler is way greater than the top 3 schools.  these faculty members are dedicated to making their program the best and will do whatever it takes to help you succeed, and if you are really great, you stick out in a program whereas you might fall by the wayside in others.

and if major art critic Jerry Saltz believes that a student shouldn't pay to go to a top school then that is really something to consider.

still deciding, but this is all great feedback to consider

Jaygray,  thanks for this perspective on Tyler.   I've received a really great offer from them, and I think the program looks great.  My main concern is that I can't seem to find much evidence of alumni success.  Could you share some names of these Tyler alum whose work you appreciate?  I honestly just don't seem to be able to find much info on this, even on the school's website.  Your point re having faculty that are really pushing for you to be successful is a good one.

My alternative is CalArts which has a great track record in terms of the artists its produced, but has high tuition fees with little funding available.

I'm in the same confused boat as you as far as which route to go, so also would appreciate hearing any perspective on this.

Congrats Jaygray! That's fantastic news!   

In regards to the Yale vs. Rutgers decision; Yale is Yale but I certainly have only heard excellent things about Rutgers. Rutgers also has many notable alumni, many of whom are showing in NY and also doing other amazing things. I just saw an incredible show up at Stephen Harvey right now of works from Liv Aanrud, who is a Rutgers alum. Plus, being unencumbered by loans post graduation could probably provide you with a tremendous amount of freedom and more options further down the line. However, like Derpderderp (lol), mentioned, you may want to discuss this more with the Yale, as your parent's income is only one factor in your entire Financial aid award.

Best of luck making this tough decision!