MFA arts 2015: FUNDING AND DECISIONS

Milkyways

also walker44, to answer your previous question, this was my first time applying to Yale. i did a lot of research on schools after applying and getting many rejections the first 2 times and found schools that seemed to really fit with ideas that i am interested in as a painter. that's why i think i had so much success this year.

this might help http://www.vulture.com/2014/12/we-need-to-reconsider-art-school.html

You guys are awesome. Congrats on being accepted to all these fab schools, and getting some funding. I enjoyed reading the above posts and replies. 

Now that I'm past the acceptances point of the freak out, more freak out over which to say yes to. 

Once I was rejected by my top choice, Columbia, I moved on to Carnegie Mellon being my new top. But now that I'm in, more things have come up to ask myself about. They offered me 75% funding, that near $10K/ year thing is true for me. I may try and negotiate more funds, to help me make the decision. Because still, around 30K/3-years will be a lot of debt for me. As a decent grant writer I would probably end up with more opportunities to apply for additional funding the following couple years, but it's still taking a chance. (The Pittsburgh weather is another deterrent, embarrassingly enough). 

Like many of us, one of my reasons for g-school is the opportunity for upward mobility in the art world. I used to be a NY'er (still consider myself one) and have seen first-hand the ridiculous amount of politics in top-tier galleries/museums, as discussed earlier in this topic. Being in Pittsburgh for 3 years, it's kind of far from NY…. and faculty work seems quite Pittsburgh-focused. I'm hoping I can make some good connects if I go. Otherwise, I was also accepted to MICA with mediocre funding (1/3) but it's a lot closer to NY and a somewhat more vibrant art scene. Maybe I'm being a Shallow Hal????

American U is a good, improving MFA program. But funding is also nominal. I will be calling schools this week to try and negotiate. 

This article again about doing so…. http://www.uni.edu/~gotera/gradapp/results.htm

Thanks for your input everyone.

walker44, my partner is just finishing his MFA in painting at Tyler and the program is great but it is not designed to establish you as an artist like they say some of the top schools do.  However, some of my favorite work comes from Tyler alum and they go on to do great things.  one of the people who interviewed me at Yale (William Villalongo) is a Tyler alum so you see where that got him.  also, if we are basing these ideas of "top schools" off of the US world and news report we need to keep in mind that the list was last updated in 2012.  I believe a school like Rutgers is just as good as Tyler and other Top 10s so it is not like I would be sacrificing a great education by going there.  Both Tyler and Rutgers were recently on the list for "best bang for your buck" which is making them way more appealing to those artists entering grad school who would be in a good place to continue making work post grad school.

also is seems like the attention students receive from faculty at schools like Rutgers and Tyler is way greater than the top 3 schools.  these faculty members are dedicated to making their program the best and will do whatever it takes to help you succeed, and if you are really great, you stick out in a program whereas you might fall by the wayside in others.

and if major art critic Jerry Saltz believes that a student shouldn't pay to go to a top school then that is really something ito consider.

still deciding, but this is all great feedback to consider

How often are those US World and News Report rankings updated?

Great points, Milkyways. Which are you leaning toward? As crazy as it sounds, looking at my options, the wild idea to still try and reapply next round is crossing my mind.

Dryheat- it appears to be about time for them to crank out some updated rankings! :) will be interesting to see the latest.

i have heard every four years (which would be 2016) but in a recent usnews article i read it sounds like they will not be reevaluating Art programs, just business, law, education, engineering, and medicine 

Marchy, that thought has crossed my mind too. But this would be my third application round so I'm really not sure. For now leaning towards Northwestern. Any thoughts about that?

About the lists I read somewhere the next revision will be 2016. I do not believe much will change though.

I doubt much will change either. Haven't sent back the paperwork yet, but I'm 90% sure I'm going to pass on USC's acceptance offer and reapply again next year too (unless, by some chance, something changes at one of the schools I'm waitlisted at.) Edited by dryheat

I doubt much will change either. Haven't sent back the paperwork yet, but I'm 90% sure I'm going to pass on USC's acceptance offer and reapply again next year too (unless, by some chance, something changes at one of the schools I'm waitlisted at.)

Dryheat, what kind of funding did USC offer?

Edited by Milkyways

After a loooong wait I've finally got 2 offers, from SFAI and Parsons.

It says:

''SFAI has awarded you a partial tuition Fulbright Fellowship in the amount

of $21,167. SFAI Fulbright Fellowships are renewed annually for up to two years.

This award will be credited to your student account each semester of the program.''

Do you think this award covers tuition for each semester? OR it is $21,167 for a year? I'm not sure but the tuition amount is exactly $21,167 for the semesters.

Also I've got an offer from Parsons Design and Technology,

it says ''The Dean's Merit Scholarship in the amount of 20% of your total tuition''

but I think it will be still very expensive. Do you have an idea about the full cost of this program?

Additionally, I have no news from NYU ITP, I hope I can get an offer from there too.

Congrats to everyone admitted!

Edited by unifield

Congrats Unifield! Fulbright always looks good on the resume. I would call SFAI and clarify the allocated amount.

Milkyways I feel like I've heard good things about Northwestern especially in research areas.

Have your offers already factored in financial need-based info? Or are the offers prior to need based assessments. Hoping maybe more will come out once they look at everyone's FAFSA. Going to try and clarify this by phone today.

For those repeat offenders like me, who are trying to thread the eye of a very particular needle, I have a question about recommendation letters.

Are you reusing ones in the school's system that were submitted in an earlier round? Or asking your recommenders to do a new round each year? Or finding new recommenders?

I feel pretty strongly that if someone is kind enough to write me a letter, I shouldn't be dragging them through a multi year process just because I am picky about offers! Thoughts from others who have also been around the block a time or two?

For those repeat offenders like me, who are trying to thread the eye of a very particular needle, I have a question about recommendation letters.

Are you reusing ones in the school's system that were submitted in an earlier round? Or asking your recommenders to do a new round each year? Or finding new recommenders?

I feel pretty strongly that if someone is kind enough to write me a letter, I shouldn't be dragging them through a multi year process just because I am picky about offers! Thoughts from others who have also been around the block a time or two?

For the school I reapplied to I used the same letters and it didn't seem to be a problem.

also walker44, to answer your previous question, this was my first time applying to Yale. i did a lot of research on schools after applying and getting many rejections the first 2 times and found schools that seemed to really fit with ideas that i am interested in as a painter. that's why i think i had so much success this year.

this might help http://www.vulture.com/2014/12/we-need-to-reconsider-art-school.html

Its encouraging to see people who have had to reapply get in to such great schools during the 2nd or 3rd round.  Congrats! You have great offers! Are you leaning towards Yale, Rutgers, or UTK?

For the school I reapplied to I used the same letters and it didn't seem to be a problem.

Second this.

Milkyways and thepictureisstill.. how did you reapply with the same letters? Did your professors save them and resend the same ones? It seems that all schools send the professor an email to submit the recommendations. 

This was my second year in a row applying. I reapplied to 4 of the same schools, but only one of them allowed you to use letters from the previous year. I ended up just requesting new letters for all (2 of the same recommenders, one different).

Keep in mind that if someone has already written you a letter before, it is not nearly as time consuming for them to do it again the next year because they will probably just revise/update the letter from the previous year.

$15,000 for the the first year whose is renewable for the second if I'm making satisfactory progress.

Congrats on getting in!  Is the $15k just for tuition or a living stipend? What a shame tho.  They offered me a spot on the waitlist and I turned em down. I'll be applying to more places next year (3rd time) so it's really nice to see everyone having so much success this year after reapplying.

$15,000 for the the first year which is renewable for the second if I'm making satisfactory progress.

Congrats on getting in!  Is the $15k just for tuition or a living stipend? What a shame tho.  They offered me a spot on the waitlist and I turned em down. I'll be applying to more places next year (3rd time) so it's really nice to see everyone having so much success this year after reapplying.

Same question. Is that 15k on top of tuition waiver or 15k is the whole financial aid offer? I ask to see if it's worth to be kept on the waitlist or I can forget about the possibility of going there.. thanks

Edited by Milkyways

Same question. Is that 15k on top of tuition waiver or 15k is the whole financial aid offer? I ask to see if it's worth to be kept on the waitlist or forget about the possibility to go there.. thanks

15k whole financial aid offer. Ends up being less than half of the cost of tuition, which is substantially less than they have offered in the past. Throwing living expenses into the mix, I'd probably be looking at 30-40k in loans each year, which I'm just not up for. Would much rather apply again next year at schools with much better funding possibilities.

15k whole financial aid offer. Ends up being less than half of the cost of tuition, which is substantially less than they have offered in the past. Throwing living expenses into the mix, I'd probably be looking at 30-40k in loans each year, which I'm just not up for. Would much rather apply again next year at schools with much better funding possibilities.

Not a very good financial package indeed. Maybe it has to do with the Dr Dre thing mentioned before? In any case thank you, I was counting on good funding so I can forget about USC for once and for all. 

Where would you apply to next year?

Seriously. Wow. Laughable that they still brag about "generous" funding on their site. What a joke. Sorry man.

Not a very good financial package indeed. Maybe it has to do with the Dr Dre thing mentioned before? In any case thank you, I was counting on good funding so I can forget about USC for once and for all.

Where would you apply to next year?

Really fell in love with U of Chicago after visiting for my interview (I'm currently on the wait list there), so I think I'll definitely apply there again. Northwestern, UMichigan, UT-Austin, and UC Irvine (another school I'm currently in the waitlist for) are also on my radar for next time as well.

Hey dryheat- How did you hear that you're on the waitlist for UCI? I interviewed there but have not heard back either way regarding a decision. I have been hesitant to call for fear of hearing bad news. If you don't mind sharing I would really appreciate it!

Really fell in love with U of Chicago after visiting for my interview (I'm currently on the wait list there), so I think I'll definitely apply there again. Northwestern, UMichigan, UT-Austin, and UC Irvine (another school I'm currently in the waitlist for) are also on my radar for next time as well.

U of Chicago seems like a solid program (just had a look at it). The faculty is pretty accomplished and varied. I hope they release the spot for you. I've also heard good things about UC irvine.

I am considering Northwestern and Cornell now. Northwestern's funding offer is crazy good, but I'm not a fan of the fact that every single person in the faculty is from SAIC. It's weird. I've also had comments on not having many graduate courses to take. So I don't know.

Edited by Milkyways