If you're moving quite a distance to school...

Leahlearns

I am moving about 500 miles, to a place I've only been once to visit the school. I used Craigslist although I was pretty apprehensive about it, I think you just have to learn how to weed through the fake ads and people who are trying to scam you. I got really lucky actually, I signed a lease without seeing the place first or even talking to anyone in person or on the phone. In retrospect it really wasn't a very smart thing to do, it could have easily been a scam but it turned out to be all legit. The place is beautiful, much nicer than the pictures, the rent is cheap and my landlord is wonderful. I finally got down to see it a few weeks ago and was very happy. I'd recommend using CL but just be wary of it all.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Movin' from Santa Fe, NM to upstate NY. That is quite a change for me and I'm super excited about it!

Here's how I did the renting part: I took a four day weekend, visited with the department on one day and got a feel for the campus, on the second day I looked at seven different houses and signed a lease, and had two travel days. It was a whirlwind, but I'm really glad I did it! Some places had a very different feel than the pictures would make it seem, some places had really creepy landlords, and some places were "up hill both directions" and hard to walk anywhere to or from. It was worth the few days off plus travel expenses to find a great place.

Now I have to move my crud. I'm thinking about renting a pod or space on a moving truck (ABF) to get my mattress, chair, bookshelf, kitchen stuff and dresser across the country, then packing up my car and heading across country. If figure it will cost around $2,000.

Anyone know of any better suggestions for moving stuff cheaper?

Budget renta truck was having a deal. Got 16 footer for $1300 so I will be driving from CA to NYC in July. Don't use Pods. I thought about them but their customer reviews were overwhelmingly negative (More than 10-1) and they had trouble coughing up an estimate. Great concept but poorly executed. Moving company wanted to charge me 4-6K. Cheap=do it yourself

Budget renta truck was having a deal. Got 16 footer for $1300 so I will be driving from CA to NYC in July. Don't use Pods. I thought about them but their customer reviews were overwhelmingly negative (More than 10-1) and they had trouble coughing up an estimate. Great concept but poorly executed. Moving company wanted to charge me 4-6K. Cheap=do it yourself

The quote I received from Pods was about 2K. After the $1,300 Budget Truck Rental plus gas (those trucks guzzle gas like nobody's business), I calculated the truck rental to be twice the cost of a Pod.

I am now looking into shipping large items with an organization like Transit Systems. It seems to be even cheaper than a Pod. I would recommend others think about the same.

I thought about doing the same thing -- either a POD or renting a truck. But then I realized, wouldn't it be cheaper to just sell everything and rebuy once you get there? The thing is, my furniture is decent (imo) but the total value is probably not more than $2000. I guess it just didn't make sense for me to pay that much to move it there. Maybe my logic is off here?

My plan is to sell everything here, and rebuy everything (used) when I get to NY. I plan on driving my car out there, so that will be filled up with things I can't sell. Everything else will be shipped Fedex (their ground rates are quite good) or USPS Media mail.

I thought about doing the same thing -- either a POD or renting a truck. But then I realized, wouldn't it be cheaper to just sell everything and rebuy once you get there? The thing is, my furniture is decent (imo) but the total value is probably not more than $2000. I guess it just didn't make sense for me to pay that much to move it there. Maybe my logic is off here?

My plan is to sell everything here, and rebuy everything (used) when I get to NY. I plan on driving my car out there, so that will be filled up with things I can't sell. Everything else will be shipped Fedex (their ground rates are quite good) or USPS Media mail.

My girlfriend and I are doing the same. Moving from AZ to upstate NY. We sold or got rid of all our furniture. We have two cats we're bringing with us, so we're just going to fly out there when we move. Her mom is going to be taking a working vacation about a month after we move, and they will be driving out to bring us what we couldn't ship out there. We plan on just renting a cargo van from a car rental company and driving to the nearest IKEA (a few hours way) and replacing our furniture. It's a bit more complicated than a traditional move, but it is going to be so much cheaper than renting a truck or a pod.

Edited by breakfast

I think you all have a point. We are going to try to only ship the expensive things (TV, etc) and buy everything else once we get there. I hope Ithaca has good second-hand stores! :-)

Although the school I'm going to is only 45 minutes away from my current town, I mostly applied to places across the country with the knowledge that moving would be an utter bitch. Everyone told me that it was easier to sell off furniture in town A and buy new used furniture in town B, part of me believed that I would just lose a lot of money in the long run of moving around and selling all of my furniture each time. I never did the real math of it, but I know that, at least in the case of about half of my furniture right now, it's "investment" furniture that I put a little more money into than I should have. Plus, I'm really attached to a few of the pieces.

The other issue is the cat. The idea of checking him like baggage in order to fly with him across the country bothered me more than I'd like to say. I was prepared to make the epic journey across this great country-- yowling cat and all-- just to make sure he wasn't shivering and freaked out in the cargo hold.

I'm doing a size/benefit analysis. Focusing on the largest sizes and moving downward.

Sofas - One is 10yrs old and a little beat up and was a gift. The other is 20yrs old and cost me $8 used. Buh-bye. TV-Old fashioned Analog 27"er with picture tube issues. Also a goner.

Where it gets more difficult are things like the entertainment center armoire. It's ungodly heavy and not designed for the new flatscreen models. But it cost me $800 and can be turned into a traditional armoire and will hold my entire wardrobe. So I'll try to sell it but if it doesnt sell, Im keeping it. And so on, working my way down in size. My target is to fill up a 16 footer truck. Having wardrobes & stuff from two girls prevent me from doing the wholesale selling of things and re-buying. Plus there is no way I would recover enough to replace.

I almost have an apartment... just waiting for the official lease agreement. And I'm coming from outside the mainland US so I will not have any furniture to take with me. I'm hoping there will be some garage sales in the vicinity of where I'll be moving, just so that I won't have to go home to an almost empty house. Also, there are some things that I would like to bring which I know will not fit into my luggage, so I'll definitely ask my parents to send them to me either by USPS or by private shipping (e.g. FedEx).

I'll be moving nearly 900 miles with a 1.5 month old kid (our first). My wife and I are crazy.

Anyway, we'll be renting a Budget truck, the smaller 10', and driving our Prius (thank god we have an efficient car). We're just trying to keep our mattress, TV, one book shelf and maybe our kitchen table. If those things weren't of high quality (read: higher price), we wouldn't bother moving them. Everything else will be sold. I really wish a queen mattress would fit in a van! I'm a little jealous of those of you who can justify selling everything and buying again. It was my first instinct but it's simply not worth it for us.

As far as getting an apartment, we found Craigslist to be perfect for where we are moving (Ann Arbor). We went to visit for Preview Day and went and visited a short-list of posted apartments. Found one and signed the lease. It wasn't too bad.

I don't think I'd use Craigslist for NYC but for the Midwest, the South or most of the rest of the US it should be fine. If anyone will be moving to Arkansas for the University of Arkansas let me know. I have a pretty cool house that is a bargain, within walking distance to campus and will be available in August biggrin.gif.

The other issue is the cat. The idea of checking him like baggage in order to fly with him across the country bothered me more than I'd like to say. I was prepared to make the epic journey across this great country-- yowling cat and all-- just to make sure he wasn't shivering and freaked out in the cargo hold.

Most airlines allow you to take your pet as your carry-on. Sure, it will be annoying for everyone else in the cabin, but I would never fly with my cats as checked-baggage.

I'm moving from Australia to Texas ... freaked out doesn't begin to cover it right now, but the reality of it all is just starting to hit. Headed to Austin.

Make sure you book your flight all the way to Texas on the same ticket, so it counts as international the whole way. Most airlines will still allow you 2 checked bags for international Australia-USA, but within the USA you have to pay for ALL checked baggage - unless you're on a domestic leg of an international ticket.

Don't take too much hand luggage because the US has quite strict regulations and security, especially through LAX (the security for domestic flights through LAX is more intense than international flights through Sydney or Melbourne).

Don't pack too much - with the current exchange rate, many things are cheaper in the USA (electronics, cosmetics, jeans, etc). Happy shopping! ;)

Make sure you book your flight all the way to Texas on the same ticket, so it counts as international the whole way. Most airlines will still allow you 2 checked bags for international Australia-USA, but within the USA you have to pay for ALL checked baggage - unless you're on a domestic leg of an international ticket.

Don't take too much hand luggage because the US has quite strict regulations and security, especially through LAX (the security for domestic flights through LAX is more intense than international flights through Sydney or Melbourne).

Don't pack too much - with the current exchange rate, many things are cheaper in the USA (electronics, cosmetics, jeans, etc). Happy shopping! ;)

As in, they'll weigh hand luggage? I've never had that happen anywhere (but equally never flown to the States before) and my handbag full of books always weighs a tonne.

My biggest concern is getting sporting equipment over there that would be tough and expensive to replace (skates and a bike). Plus books that I'm emotionally attached to.

Most airlines allow you to take your pet as your carry-on. Sure, it will be annoying for everyone else in the cabin, but I would never fly with my cats as checked-baggage.

You can give your cat a quarter of a baby benadryl (we give our large dogs a whole one so I figure a quarter is enough for a cat). It is an extremely low dose so it will just makes them calm/drowsy so the aren't so freaked out and so they won't make too much noise on the flight!

As in, they'll weigh hand luggage? I've never had that happen anywhere (but equally never flown to the States before) and my handbag full of books always weighs a tonne.

My biggest concern is getting sporting equipment over there that would be tough and expensive to replace (skates and a bike). Plus books that I'm emotionally attached to.

They won't weigh carry-on (hand) luggage, but they do weight luggage that you check. You are only allowed one carry-on and the size restriction is quite strict. You are expected to be able to lift the bag over your head and put it in the over-head storage yourself.

Shipping books in the US is quite cheap, so perhaps that is a possibility . You might even be able to ship your bike, as that was a popular option for my undergrad friends. Preventing back damage is a good thing!

Check out the TSA website for exact restrictions-

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/guidance_international_flights.shtm

Edit: the TSA website is very useful, so might as well post it!

Edited by matcha

You can give your cat a quarter of a baby benadryl (we give our large dogs a whole one so I figure a quarter is enough for a cat). It is an extremely low dose so it will just makes them calm/drowsy so the aren't so freaked out and so they won't make too much noise on the flight!

As another overprotective kitty mom who is about to fly home with her cat and has researched it a ton, I would not reccommend giving the cat benadryl! The altitude plus medication is very bad for kitty hearts. At least that is what other overprotective kitty moms have said. I believe it is fine on land though.

Also airlines vary a lot by how much they charge for carrying on pets, so look around for prices. I think Southwest is the cheapest and the only one which doesn't require written documentation of the pet's health from a vet within 10 days of the trip.

Does anyone know the cheapest way to ship books, clothes cross-country?

The USPS is always advertising their flat rate (up to 70 lbs) priority mail but I am not sure that is the best option. Thanks!

I'm also flying with a cat and have been told it is too dangerous to drug him.

As another overprotective kitty mom who is about to fly home with her cat and has researched it a ton, I would not reccommend giving the cat benadryl! The altitude plus medication is very bad for kitty hearts. At least that is what other overprotective kitty moms have said. I believe it is fine on land though.

wow, thanks I had no idea. I've never done it, we just do it for our dogs on long car trips so they don't puke. eep.

Does anyone know the cheapest way to ship books, clothes cross-country?

Books you can ship by media mail. Takes a bit longer but it's really cheap.

I'm moving Pennsylvania to Hawaii and shipping parcel post is still only about $1 per pound. Again, slow, but cheap. It might be cheaper for a shorter distance.

They won't weigh carry-on (hand) luggage, but they do weight luggage that you check. You are only allowed one carry-on and the size restriction is quite strict. You are expected to be able to lift the bag over your head and put it in the over-head storage yourself.

My husband still lives 1000 miles away but still plans to move out to join me, someday. In the meantime I fly back and forth every week or two, and over the course of the last year I've probably moved a (literal) ton of stuff. Here's my experience with moving by plane.

Yes, checked luggage should weigh no more than 50 lbs. They will charge you a fee if it weighs more than this.

The carry-on size restriction is supposedly very strict, but I've never had anyone check it. My own carry-on is just barely within the size limitations (I measured very carefully when I bought it), but I see tons of people boarding with larger bags. My carry-on is almost always loaded with books--it's about 35 pounds chock full, which is a bit more than I can handle lifting over my head. However, I've never had trouble getting it up to the overhead bins; there's always someone on hand to help me (flight attendant or just a helpful fellow passenger). Nonetheless, I try to keep it under 25 lbs for my own sake.

If you're bringing household goods with you, make sure sharp kitchen items go in checked bags. Note that TSA's idea of what "sharp" means and your idea of the same thing may vary somewhat!

I find that 100 lbs. of stuff is about all I can manage to move through the airport at any one time, even though some of it is on wheels. Of course, I'm not particularly strong, even for a woman; your mileage may vary.

Books you can ship by media mail. Takes a bit longer but it's really cheap.

I'm moving Pennsylvania to Hawaii and shipping parcel post is still only about $1 per pound. Again, slow, but cheap. It might be cheaper for a shorter distance.

Thanks. I will be moving from San Francisco to Pennsylvania. When you say slow, do you mean a month or more? and this is just books, right? any idea if it were books + clothes?

Thanks. I will be moving from San Francisco to Pennsylvania. When you say slow, do you mean a month or more? and this is just books, right? any idea if it were books + clothes?

The longest media mail has taken for me is maybe 2 weeks, but it's usually faster. Same for parcel post. Media mail is strictly for media - books, CDs, DVDs, etc. If you put anything else in there it would be considered parcel post (which would almost double the price).

i'm close to making a full tour of the globe! i moved from new zealand to france last year and now i'm moving from france to new york!

it is quite stressful, as i have never been to new york before! i've looked into craigs list and general apartment search, however i have been really lucky in finding a job as a live in au pair basically. there is of course less freedom when it comes to being an au pair, however not only do i get to live rent free, no utilities, in a cool manhattan neighborhood, i get free food and at least 400 dollars a month of pocket money in exchange for taking care of 2 kids a couple of hours a day! sounds pretty sweet to me! plus if it doesn't work out i can always find another place later.