If you're moving quite a distance to school...

Leahlearns

Have you rented an apartment? Did you visit? Did you rely on photos?

I've had a friend of a friend visit a few place for me. But she's already visited a few (4 in total, although there wasn't that much running around involved because there were only a total of 2 apartment complexes involved). She didn't want to be paid. I did sent her a small gift. But she seems really busy and I still haven't found anything appropriate. (She hasn't said anything, this is just my sense.) I know ideally I'd go look for myself...I'm just trying to save every penny I possibly can.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I moved 1500 miles, and I was unwilling to rent sight-unseen. I flew up a few weeks before moving to scope out some apartments and found one I liked. It was kind of expensive, but I figure it is worth it down the road since I managed to find a pretty good deal and I won't be miserable for 1 or more years.

I'm moving across the Atlantic. I visited back in March when I was choosing programs and spent a whole day walking up and down the neighborhood so I could get to know my surroundings and find out more or less where I wanted to live. I also spent some time talking with grad students about finances and what I could reasonably expect to afford on my stipend. I ended up connecting with a 1st year at my new dept who had just signed a lease for a 2-bedroom and we decided to become roommates. I did take the apartment sight-unseen, but: a. I've had bad luck recently with apts I did see, so who's to say I'd do any better with an apt-hunt that could only last one week, and b. she spent a whole lot of time looking until she found this apt and from what I hear it all seems good and affordable. Worst case scenario, I move out after one year. Beats the hell out of living in the dorms, which I would likely have had to do if I couldn't find something in advance.

I signed a lease without visiting or seeing the apartment. A friend of a friend moved out of that place and I took his word for the safety, etc of the place and neighborhood. It was also the cheapest studio I could find at a walking distance from the psychology building where I'll be working. It is also fully furnished. I did see photos of the place. I also viewed the neighborhood on google maps. I could get a street view and took a virtual walk to the university ;)

I moved 1500 miles, and I was unwilling to rent sight-unseen. I flew up a few weeks before moving to scope out some apartments and found one I liked. It was kind of expensive, but I figure it is worth it down the road since I managed to find a pretty good deal and I won't be miserable for 1 or more years.

Not quite as far for me (only 900 miles), I did roughly the same. My husband and I flew out here in mid-June (we moved at the end of July) to find a place (he also interviewed for jobs and I met with my advisor). I came prepared with print-outs from CraigsList and a local weekly newspaper with rental listings. Somehow we got really lucky and loved the first place we saw, paying the deposit and first month's rent while we were here.

Been there, doing that!! We also have a friend of a friend looking for us. He also refuses payment. (I would rather pay him because then he'd be motivated to get stuff done quickly...oh well.) We've found a couple of places that we really liked, but because it takes him so long to get out to look for them, someone else gets them before we can put our application in. It sucks.

Well, I'll be there in a week for the start of school. Hopefully I'll have time to look then...

Been there, doing that!! We also have a friend of a friend looking for us. He also refuses payment. (I would rather pay him because then he'd be motivated to get stuff done quickly...oh well.) We've found a couple of places that we really liked, but because it takes him so long to get out to look for them, someone else gets them before we can put our application in. It sucks.

Well, I'll be there in a week for the start of school. Hopefully I'll have time to look then...

Yes, it does sounds like we're in the same situation. I'm thinking of signing a six-month lease. I'm asking a ton of questions. I've requested photos, although I haven't received any yet and I'm thinking of asking to be put in touch with a current tenant. Of course, my request could be turned down, but it's worth a try. I won't arrive early enough to find a place before orientation begins.

Good luck with your search!

2900 miles, from the west coast to the east coast. Despite the distance, I couldn't imagine renting a place without seeing it and the neighborhood, and I didn't know anyone out here who could take a look at places for me. I ended up flying out a month before the move and spent five days finding somewhere to live. However, it only ended up taking two days to find the place I rented; I don't know if I was just lucky or what, but it really wasn't that hard, especially given that I have a dog. Craigslist is all I used.

If you really can't visit before moving, I think you could find listings on Craigslist and street view the area, but even then its much different to see pictures of buildings and then actually drive/walk through that same area.

Craigslist is all I used.

I truly love Craigslist. Like I said earlier, that's what I used to compile places to look and we rented the first one we visited.

If you really can't visit before moving, I think you could find listings on Craigslist and street view the area, but even then its much different to see pictures of buildings and then actually drive/walk through that same area.

Definitely! And street view also can't give you a feel for the the community within a community. Some areas don't make crime stats known, either. It might look well and good on street view, but it's in a high-crime area or just a bad area of town that's hard to get in and out of. There really isn't a substitute (yet) for going in person.

Craig's list is what I've been using. The person I know out there, as I think I mentioned, did visit four places four me (two apartments in two different apartment complexes) and none of them met her standards. She thought they weren't that great and expensive for what they were. Given that I am worried about renting sight unseen. I think landlords are reluctant to rent their property to someone they've never met. (I would be too!) I've already been at this for a few weeks (the long duration is largely due to the fact that I've been dependent on someone else). I'm very eager to have this settled at this point, which is probably not a great attitude to have as this is a pretty darn important decision.

I actually bought a house in the area where my school is at... I had only visited the area about a week before that... my program has a great program coordinator who hooked me up with a great realtor. Together they talked through what the area was like, good/bad areas to live, etc... I did a lot of research online before coming back out to look/put an offer on the house... The local police have a great crime statistics website that I was able to verify their recommendations... Also, they put me into contact with other ppl in the department to talk about where are good places to live... I LOVE my house and the area and I couldn't ask for more!

I actually bought a house in the area where my school is at... I had only visited the area about a week before that... my program has a great program coordinator who hooked me up with a great realtor. Together they talked through what the area was like, good/bad areas to live, etc... I did a lot of research online before coming back out to look/put an offer on the house... The local police have a great crime statistics website that I was able to verify their recommendations... Also, they put me into contact with other ppl in the department to talk about where are good places to live... I LOVE my house and the area and I couldn't ask for more!

That's awesome!

I bet that scheme would actually make sense for a lot of folks if you're going to be in one area (especially an area where rents are high) for an extended period of time you can use the property as an investment. Real estate prices (hopefully) will bounce back in the next few years too.

My friend did give me advice about which areas are safest, etc., but perhaps I'll look up crime statistics as well--definitely couldn't hurt.

My husband and I moved 2800 miles, without a previous visit. I do not recommend getting an apartment you have not walked through. I was able to set up showings for apartments I had found online that met all my criteria (close to school, size, expense), but when we actually walked through, they were unlivable. You can do all the work you want from afar, but nothing beats getting on the ground and checking out the area and the apartments for yourself.

Our approach paid off in that we found a great little apartment within our price range in a nice area that had a community feel. I had to give up my plans to walk to school, however. Some tips: If you are short on time and money and don't want to spend a lot of time in a hotel while you look for an apt, check out individual residences rather than apartment complexes. The renters of these places are less likely to have a lengthy application process you have to wait through. Think an apartment above a shop. When packing the UHAUL, ask yourself three times if you absolutely need what you intend to drag with you. Be willing to take a place that might need a fresh coat of paint, and then offer to do it in exchange for a speedy move-in arrangement.

Good luck!

I rented without seeing. 1 bedroom about four blocks from campus, well within my budget. I did see photos on the realty site online so that helped a little. But the best thing I did was to call realty agents in the area and ask lots of questions. I was surprised by how honest they were, especially when I explained that I was a graduate student. I actually had one leaser tell me I didn't want to rent her property because it was frat territory and there would be too many parties and too much noise for me to do any studying. Any university town is used to renting to college students and you can ask about good neighborhoods/streets, etc. Anyway, I move into the apartment in a week so wish me luck!

I rented without seeing. 1 bedroom about four blocks from campus, well within my budget. I did see photos on the realty site online so that helped a little. But the best thing I did was to call realty agents in the area and ask lots of questions. I was surprised by how honest they were, especially when I explained that I was a graduate student. I actually had one leaser tell me I didn't want to rent her property because it was frat territory and there would be too many parties and too much noise for me to do any studying. Any university town is used to renting to college students and you can ask about good neighborhoods/streets, etc. Anyway, I move into the apartment in a week so wish me luck!

Good luck!

I found a place. I'm going to have a bit of a commute, but it seems completely doable and a friend did visit for me.

It's nice when people are honest even when that's not necessarily what's in their (monetary) interest. I did have some experience with some seemingly not-so-honest folks over the course of this search, but I think things have now all worked out.

I did exactly what everyone warns not to do and rented sight unseen. I tried CL but ended up picking a place from the housing listings put out by my school's housing office.

I talked to a friend who went to this school and lived in the town for undergrad and she gave me a rundown of every street and neighborhood and what they're like, and when I talked to the landlord I asked for pictures (hoping the pictures were accurate) and I asked to talk to a current tenant. The person they put me in touch with claimed to be very happy with the place. I also looked at the street and neighborhood with google maps. I agonized a little more and then I sent in my deposit and held my breath for the next 2 months, and I was prepared for disappointment when I arrived here yesterday and signed the lease. The place isn't spectacular but it appears to be bug-free (my main criteria, which I unabashedly drilled the current tenant about) and it's in a safe neighborhood. My main issue with the place is that it has off-site laundry, and since this is not a car-friendly neighborhood, I'll be dragging my clothes on foot to the laundromat a few blocks away. But I knew about that beforehand.

It's an individual residence, and like the other poster, I found landlords of individual residences to be more accommodating for someone in my situation. The realtors I talked to were only interested in renting from apartment complexes in the most expensive and upscale areas of town and told me to go take a hike when I contacted them with my housing criteria.

• 6 months later...

I just wanted to bring this topic back up and add my own situation.

I'm most likely moving from south Florida to South Carolina, and I'm at a loss right now. I have no idea how to go about finding a room, or if/how I should get my furniture up there.

Any advice?

My wife, son and I will be moving from Fort Worth, TX to Denver, Co. We are most definitely NOT doing it sight-unseen. We're driving up next week to have a look around, see on-campus housing, shop for apartments, etc. Moving to a completely new region is a stressful task, and doing it without an idea of where you're going only adds to the stress. A visit is always advisable.

PS Congratulations on CofC Robin. I did some of my undergrad there and loved it. In fact, I loved it SO much, it's why I did "some" (read "I spent too much time at the beach, walking around Charleston downton or rowing for CofC's crew team, and not enough studying.") The Marine Bio program at CofC is great. Have fun! :D

Edited by Postbib Yeshuist

i'm moving from georgia to boston. i have very little furniture i could bring and i've decided to just buy all of the big furniture i'll need up there. I figure i'll be living in a much smaller space (probably a studio) and will need furniture to fit it and IKEA can deliver it to me (being a small female, this is important to me).

I asked this in another section but maybe someone can here can give me some advice:

I just got admitted into Boston College and they are having an admitted students day April 17. I live in Georgia so making the trek to Boston is expensive for me (plane tickets, hotels, and time off from work). I definitely plan on going to this event and what I'm wondering is that too soon to look for apartments? I'm looking to move in August or September right before classes start. They are having a housing fair in June but that would require another expensive trip to Boston. And I'm too afraid to visit a place before I sign a lease... So when I go up in April, do I stay longer than just the weekend so I can find an apartment and avoid having to come back in June, or is that too early for a August/September move in date? Any advice would be appreciated; city living is completely foreign to me as is apartment hunting (I come from a small town where it is cheaper to rent small houses with a roommate or two).

My wife, son and I will be moving from Fort Worth, TX to Denver, Co. We are most definitely NOT doing it sight-unseen. We're driving up next week to have a look around, see on-campus housing, shop for apartments, etc. Moving to a completely new region is a stressful task, and doing it without an idea of where you're going only adds to the stress. A visit is always advisable.

PS Congratulations on CofC Robin. I did some of my undergrad there and loved it. In fact, I loved it SO much, it's why I did "some" (read "I spent too much time at the beach, walking around Charleston downton or rowing for CofC's crew team, and not enough studying.") The Marine Bio program at CofC is great. Have fun! :D

Thanks so much! I interned there this past summer and had so much fun :)

i moved 3000 miles, from one side of canada to the other side of the US. i researched individual neighbourhoods carefully, asked some grad students via email about different areas, what place had cool restaurants or art galleries or whatever. checked craigslist for apartment listings.

visited late may/early june, stayed for 5 days. spent the first day driving around the neighbourhoods i had researched, writing down the phone numbers listed on the outside of various buildings. spent the second day calling everyone and setting up rental appointments. then saw 19 places (yes, 19!!) in the next three days. signed the lease on my last day there.

it was exhausting, but i ended up in a really cool place. everything on my list and more. i live alone and pay less than everyone i know (unless they have roommates, and even then it's about even), so within a year, what i've saved in rent will equal what i spent to get here early and find a good place.

i will say... seeing the neighbourhood is important. google street view is good, but it can be misleading. and the pictures on craiglist are misleading too, and not necessarily intentionally. one place i saw was a dark, tiny, cramped dungeon in a basement, but the pictures i took myself made it look spacious and light and full of character. i was shocked. the place i ended up renting is large, airy, bright, but the photos made it look dark and cramped. it's really in your best interest, if possible, to see these places for yourself.

i know some people in my program who crashed on strangers' couches when they arrived and found a place in their first weeks in the city, right before the program started. it was hectic and none of them were happy with what they got. they moved within a year, or are struggling with the rent because a potential roommate fell through, stuff like that.

Going to move from SF Bay area to NYC. I hope to make at least one trip out there before the start of school. Failing that there is always short-term furnished apartments. It is pricey compared to an actual unit but it beats staying in a hotel or worse getting locked into a year lease in a craphole you didnt know you were getting yourself into. Plus, if you are having your stuff shipped for you and you fly ahead, you're probably going to want something to sleep and sit on!

i'm moving from georgia to boston. i have very little furniture i could bring and i've decided to just buy all of the big furniture i'll need up there. I figure i'll be living in a much smaller space (probably a studio) and will need furniture to fit it and IKEA can deliver it to me (being a small female, this is important to me).

I asked this in another section but maybe someone can here can give me some advice:

I just got admitted into Boston College and they are having an admitted students day April 17. I live in Georgia so making the trek to Boston is expensive for me (plane tickets, hotels, and time off from work). I definitely plan on going to this event and what I'm wondering is that too soon to look for apartments? I'm looking to move in August or September right before classes start. They are having a housing fair in June but that would require another expensive trip to Boston. And I'm too afraid to visit a place before I sign a lease... So when I go up in April, do I stay longer than just the weekend so I can find an apartment and avoid having to come back in June, or is that too early for a August/September move in date? Any advice would be appreciated; city living is completely foreign to me as is apartment hunting (I come from a small town where it is cheaper to rent small houses with a roommate or two).

hi bluedevil,

i went to BC as an undergrad and i might be able to offer some insight into the housing situation in the area. basically, i would check in with the office of residential life and graduate housing -- they can supply you with a list of apartments in the area that are regularly rented or are currently available. that being said, since most of bc undergraduates live off-campus during their junior year, a lot of them look for places for the upcoming semester in the spring. and there is always a lot to be found, so even though april might be a little later than most, i don't think you'll have any trouble finding something. and, because boston is a college town, i don't think it's too far in advance to sign a lease.

if i can offer my own two cents about where to live, here it is:

-don't go with the newton/newton center area -- it's just far too disconnected from everything and you'll be riding the bus with a million and one college freshmen to get up to campus or walking heartbreak hill (don't plan on having a car on campus either, parking is a nightmare).

-housing in brighton near BC (comm. ave./sutherland/foster st. etc.) can be really pricey (well, all of boston is pricey), but i shared a house with a dozen other students and paid 900 bucks a month for a bedroom...crazy. plus, you're still a solid half hour T ride from the heart of boston on the B line. and no matter where you live on the streets surrounding BC, the evening hours give way to legions of obnoxious undergraduates just looking for any sign of beer and an off-campus party. speaking as both a formerly obnoxious undergraduate and someone who lived on foster st. in the heart of it all, it's small wonder that the neighbors want the students out of those areas. i enjoyed it then, but as a graduate student now, i would hate living in that area.

-personally, i would head down the C line somewhere a few stops from cleveland circle near washington square or coolidge corner. my ex did his undergrad and grad work at BC and that's what he did, and he loved it. sure, you have a bit of a commute to school (bike, walking, or T to the BC bus at cleveland circle), but you will really feel more connected to the city of boston without being forever and a day away from campus. plus, you will have access to some nice restaurants (zaftig's!), bars (the publick house!) and grocery stores (there are NONE near BC, truly NONE!).

hope that helps!

enjoy BC!

hi bluedevil,

i went to BC as an undergrad and i might be able to offer some insight into the housing situation in the area. basically, i would check in with the office of residential life and graduate housing -- they can supply you with a list of apartments in the area that are regularly rented or are currently available. that being said, since most of bc undergraduates live off-campus during their junior year, a lot of them look for places for the upcoming semester in the spring. and there is always a lot to be found, so even though april might be a little later than most, i don't think you'll have any trouble finding something. and, because boston is a college town, i don't think it's too far in advance to sign a lease.

if i can offer my own two cents about where to live, here it is:

-don't go with the newton/newton center area -- it's just far too disconnected from everything and you'll be riding the bus with a million and one college freshmen to get up to campus or walking heartbreak hill (don't plan on having a car on campus either, parking is a nightmare).

-housing in brighton near BC (comm. ave./sutherland/foster st. etc.) can be really pricey (well, all of boston is pricey), but i shared a house with a dozen other students and paid 900 bucks a month for a bedroom...crazy. plus, you're still a solid half hour T ride from the heart of boston on the B line. and no matter where you live on the streets surrounding BC, the evening hours give way to legions of obnoxious undergraduates just looking for any sign of beer and an off-campus party. speaking as both a formerly obnoxious undergraduate and someone who lived on foster st. in the heart of it all, it's small wonder that the neighbors want the students out of those areas. i enjoyed it then, but as a graduate student now, i would hate living in that area.

-personally, i would head down the C line somewhere a few stops from cleveland circle near washington square or coolidge corner. my ex did his undergrad and grad work at BC and that's what he did, and he loved it. sure, you have a bit of a commute to school (bike, walking, or T to the BC bus at cleveland circle), but you will really feel more connected to the city of boston without being forever and a day away from campus. plus, you will have access to some nice restaurants (zaftig's!), bars (the publick house!) and grocery stores (there are NONE near BC, truly NONE!).

hope that helps!

enjoy BC!

Thank you soooo much! this was very helpful!

My girlfriend and I will be moving from Arizona to Upstate NY with two cats (that's going to be a fun move).

Luckily we already have a friend where we'll be moving, so she can do some initial scouting for us, but we are planning a trip out there in June to find a place. CL is nice, but it's no match for seeing the place in person, talking to a landlord, and taking your own pictures. Ideally, we'd like to rent a place from our friends landlord, since he seems nice enough and allows pets (seems to be rare where we'll be moving), but the available studio he has now will almost certainly be rented out before we could get out there.

Edited by breakfast