American SIS Decisions Posted

DCB

I got accepted with funding!

"I am also happy to inform you that the Graduate Admissions Committee of the School of International Service has selected you to receive an SIS Dean's Research Assistantship Award for Academic Year 2015-16 based on your scholarly promise. The Dean's Research Assistantship Award carries with it $4,500 for the academic year, and a total maximum value of $9,000 over two consecutive academic years. If you choose to accept the award, you will work as a research assistant for an SIS faculty member for up to 10 hours/week. Additional terms of the award are detailed on the forms below. "

Edited by kingthearab

Ah, no funding for me either then and AU is a bit too pricey in comparison to UCSD for me.  I’m guessing it’s those blasted low GRE scores!

Congrats to all those admitted!

Holy crap. I'm in. "Funding details will be emailed to you shortly." I didn't get an email yet. I just checked the portal since I saw this thread. I'm praying for funding. I cn't believe that I heard from 3 schools in one day.

Ah, no funding for me either then and AU is a bit too pricey in comparison to UCSD for me.  I’m guessing it’s those blasted low GRE scores!

Congrats to all those admitted!

I suppose you've already used up your GI Bill. I have almost 2 years worth of schooling remaining, since I graduated early from undergrad. That cuts almost a 1/3 or 1/2 of the tuition out of the picture right away.

Edited by ir_gradstudent

I suppose you've already used up your GI Bill. I have almost 2 years worth of schooling remaining, since I graduated early from undergrad. That cuts almost a 1/3 or 1/2 of the tuition out of the picture right away.

I still have one year with the Post 9-11 GI Bill which is nice…but I guess I’m greedy!  Great move getting out of undergrad early!  

Just checked, accepted. :)

I also didn't see anything about funding except for the line about FAFSA. As an international student, I don't think I am eligible for that unfortunately... Either way, congrats everyone!

I think the FAFSA language may just be part of the template and serve as a reminder to have admitted students send it ASAP.  I confirmed that I had mine sent my FAFSA to AU about a month, but I still received that language in my notice as well.

Ughhhhh I assumed I wasn't going to get in, now I got in, and have to make the choice between SIS and UCSD. I had already accepted that I was going to UCSD and everything. Congrats everyone!

Congrats to those of you accepted and I hope those who weren't get into other fantastic schools! I was accepted with funding as well:

The SIS Dean's Assistantship Award carries with it $4,500 in stipend and 6 credits of tuition remission at the rate of $1,526 per credit. The stipend portion of the award requires a research assistantship with an SIS faculty member for up to 10 hours per week each semester. Your award has a total value of $13,656 for the academic year ($4,500+6 credits x $1,526 per credit) and a total maximum value of $27,312 over two consecutive academic years. The terms and amounts of the award are detailed in the forms below. Please note that you can opt to select only the tuition remission component of the award.

I'm an MPP applicant and didn't apply to American, so I don't have a lot to contribute to this thread, but I just wanted to comment on how interesting it is how different schools give out funding.

Take Bombaygunner for example. He/she has a really impressive profile and was offered decent funding packages from both Yale Jackson and Fletcher (amazing programs), however wasn't offered anything from American. Then when you look at other results, and there are many seemingly less impressive applicants that get funding offers from American. I wonder if there is a specific metric that they base their funding off of or what?

Just something I thought was interesting.