How old are you?

mpp2015!

I'm 25 but I'll be 26 once school starts. I got in everywhere I applied, which I absolutely did not expect! I'm currently trying to decide between HKS, UW Evans, and UT LBJ.

Work experience was a HUGE factor for me - when I finished undergrad, I thought I wanted an MA in international affairs. I then got a job at a non-profit and realized that analytics were critical to our work, which is what led me to pursue an MPP. People say this over and over, but it really is true - working for a couple of years before going to grad school gives you so much clarity.

I'm 20.  Will be 20 when the Fall 2015 semester starts.  For a while my age made me feel a little bit nervous about applying, especially when I saw things like 26 years old being the average age of admitted students.  Age is nothing but a number, though.  Even though I'm definitely lacking experience in some aspects, I've also got a lot of transferrable skills in research and language.  I've also got the benefit of still being in "school mode" since I'm not taking a gap year after undergrad.

25. I feel like I'm in the sweet spot where not-quite-fresh-out-of-undergrad (I graduated in 2012) meets not-yet-mid-career-professional. It definitely feels like the right time to go to grad school for me, I think. I'm also looking forward to having older classmates. I've got a lot to learn!

That being said, I'm 25 and I've still never held a real, full-time 'grown-up' job (I've been in the Peace Corps for the past two years), but hey--I'm okay with that. :) Although I don't have as much experience (especially technical experience) as other applicants my age and older, I do think my Peace Corps service has played a big role in helping me getting very positive responses from admissions committees. I think that after comparing myself to other applicants, I underestimated how much the experience I DO have would help my application's competitiveness.

25. I feel like I'm in the sweet spot where not-quite-fresh-out-of-undergrad (I graduated in 2012) meets not-yet-mid-career-professional. It definitely feels like the right time to go to grad school for me, I think. I'm also looking forward to having older classmates. I've got a lot to learn!

That being said, I'm 25 and I've still never held a real, full-time 'grown-up' job (I've been in the Peace Corps for the past two years), but hey--I'm okay with that. :) Although I don't have as much experience (especially technical experience) as other applicants my age and older, I do think my Peace Corps service has played a big role in helping me getting very positive responses from admissions committees. I think that after comparing myself to other applicants, I underestimated how much the experience I DO have would help my application's competitiveness.

Great job on all those acceptances and funding offers! 

I'm in the same boat. Turning 25 soon and it feels just like the right time to go back to school. I've only done public/government appointed teaching in the States and abroad since graduating in 2012, but my undergrad really showcased my commitment to working for the Public in several fields outside of the policy realm but also including a DC think tank research internship and the fact that I'm a PPIA alum. My grades and GRE score isn't anything to brag about, but I believe the most important aspect of my apps was how I tied everything I've done up to this point together in my SOPs and conveying it in such a way that I simply bleed public service with X examples and how a degree at Y university will help me to achieve Z goals for the public good with strong recommendations speaking to my passions, strengths, and why I'm suited to excel above and beyond at Y university. 

Edited by kooyah

Wow, I bet you're fun at parties...

Eh? let me buy you a drink, mate.

Before I applied to programs, I looked at the profiles of people who were there. So many had served in the military for 4+ years, worked at int'l organisations for 5+ years, already done a Masters, etc... and were basically miles ahead of me in terms of experience. 24 is also almost always on the lowest end of the average age of course admits.

I'm just saying maybe the admissions folks don't pay that much attention to the volume of work you've done/how many years you've been working, since I haven't done anywhere near as much as the 27-8 year olds and I somehow got in. 

Edit: Oh my God, I've just re-read my original post. I didn't mean it to come across like that. Please feel free to down-rate that into oblivion -_-

Edited by Bombaygunner

I'm 20.  Will be 20 when the Fall 2015 semester starts.  For a while my age made me feel a little bit nervous about applying, especially when I saw things like 26 years old being the average age of admitted students.  Age is nothing but a number, though.  Even though I'm definitely lacking experience in some aspects, I've also got a lot of transferrable skills in research and language.  I've also got the benefit of still being in "school mode" since I'm not taking a gap year after undergrad.

Congrats on getting into those schools! Out of interest, how old were you when you started undergrad? 

Thanks! I was 17 when I started, as my birthday is in October. Definitely looking forward to learning from everyone around me, not just professors. Since I won't be 21 at the start of the semester I figure I can make lots of friends as a DD for the bars :)

After being rejected from my dream school and not receiving funding from any of the schools that I have been admitted to, I feel motivated to continue working for one to two more years, maybe retake the GRE, and take some math and programming classes at a CC to boost my GPA for when I reapply. 

That being said, I am currently 27 and think I might be less motivated to pursue an MPP the closer I get to 30. 

So, how old are you? 

I am the "dinosaur" here...38.  In hindsight, I wish I had applied to programs about 5 or 6 years ago, but I have had family obligations and was pretty deep into a music project.  I was an older undergrad (graduated in 2007 at age 31).

My recommendation is to go for it sooner than later.  You never know what unexpected personal circumstances can wiggle their way into your life that could cause future delays.  However, if you feel holding off for more work experience or an increased GPA will get you into a program that is important to you, that's an understandable reason to hold off.

If you are passionate about the subject, your interest in going back to school will not waver...it may even intensify. 

Good luck on your decision!

Edited by Kosmosis707

I just turned 27. I agree that it is different for each person's circumstances... I just graduated from law school in May, so I took a year off after undergrad and now after law school. It just took me a while to figure out exactly what I wanted to do. I am so happy to have my law school experience, and I needed those years off to make sure I was making the right decision with each program, but I do wish I were coming into master's programs a bit earlier. I am going to be older doing entry level work than other people doing the same work (hopefully the law degree could help me move up a little faster?). It also impacts my school choice, since I cannot be a full-time, day student again, and can only go somewhere that offers night classes. It is great that everyone has ultimately (hopefully) found their way to the right path, though, and I firmly, firmly believe it is never too late to follow your passions. Those times in between have helped us find our way!

I just turned 27. I agree that it is different for each person's circumstances... I just graduated from law school in May, so I took a year off after undergrad and now after law school. It just took me a while to figure out exactly what I wanted to do. I am so happy to have my law school experience, and I needed those years off to make sure I was making the right decision with each program, but I do wish I were coming into master's programs a bit earlier. I am going to be older doing entry level work than other people doing the same work (hopefully the law degree could help me move up a little faster?). It also impacts my school choice, since I cannot be a full-time, day student again, and can only go somewhere that offers night classes. It is great that everyone has ultimately (hopefully) found their way to the right path, though, and I firmly, firmly believe it is never too late to follow your passions. Those times in between have helped us find our way!

I'm also curious as to whether the law degree helps. My primary interest is international relations, but I've been accepted to a couple of dual degree programs (MA/JD) and am debating whether taking on the debt would be worth it for a JD-preferred position overseas.

I'm also curious as to whether the law degree helps. My primary interest is international relations, but I've been accepted to a couple of dual degree programs (MA/JD) and am debating whether taking on the debt would be worth it for a JD-preferred position overseas.

Congrats on being accepted to the dual programs! Your guess is as good as mine. I would think that it should be a leg up for a lot of positions and for a higher starting salary, though no starting salaries are going to be super high in IR, likely. I was lucky to not have to take on a ton of debt with my law degree, but I think it does give you a really valuable skill set that you can't get from other degrees.

Thanks! I'm hoping the same in terms of having a leg up for many positions. I've sent off a couple of e-mails to the programs asking if they might be able to put me in touch with current joint degree students and/or alumni, so hopefully I'll have a clearer idea of how true that is soon.