Asking for Deadline Extension

I've received acceptance letters from 2 graduate schools with a decision deadline of April 14th, however I'm still waiting on two other schools which state that they will release their letters after April 14th. One of the schools I'm still waiting on happens to be my top choice, while one of the programs I've already been admitted to is my second choise. Should I ask for a decision deadline extension and how would you approach this situation with the school/POI?

Edited by firstapex88

I've received acceptance letters from 2 graduate schools with a decision deadline of April 14th, however I'm still waiting on two other schools which state that they will release their letters after April 14th. One of the schools I'm still waiting on happens to be my top choice, while one of the programs I've already been admitted to is my second choise. Should I ask for a decision deadline extension and how would you approach this situation with the school/POI?

Drop the one that isn't your second choice immediately. Then contact the school with the deadline of 4/14 and explain that you might still be waiting to hear from another program at the same time, and want to make an informed choice.

I thought schools were required to tell you by April 15. Are they non-US schools?

All the schools I applied to are in the US. The program of concern (@UPenn) has two application cycles for Fall 2015, where the 2nd application cycle had a deadline of March 15. Weird, I know. Their website said there's no difference between the two cycles in terms of admittance...seems like 2nd cycle maybe to fill in the spots that haven't been taken?

Drop the one that isn't your second choice immediately. Then contact the school with the deadline of 4/14 and explain that you might still be waiting to hear from another program at the same time, and want to make an informed choice.

Alright thanks for the advice. Only reason I haven't declined the third choice is because their tuition is much lower. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I have received deadline extensions without a problem. I was upfront with the school about my having not heard back from a program and wanting to make an informed decision. And I know many others who have done the same. 

With regards to the idea of accepting and then turning down later: It is much more professional and respectful for you to ask for a deadline extension than to "accept" and take a spot with the intention of maybe dropping that spot later, and potentially having someone on the waitlist turned down because you firmed that spot.

Edited by windrainfireandbooks

With regards to the idea of accepting and then turning down later: It is much more professional and respectful for you to ask for a deadline extension than to "accept" and take a spot with the intention of maybe dropping that spot later, and potentially having someone on the waitlist turned down because you firmed that spot.

This, so much. I see so many people talking about doing this because they're waiting on waitlist results or just to hear back, but I think it is far, far better to be honest and act in good faith first (i.e. ask for an extension). Accepting and rescinding should be your last resort, only happening if the department won't "play nice".

Need some advice while we're on this topic.

So like many of you, I've got to make a decision for one PhD program (my 2nd choice) by April 15th. I've sent the dean multiple emails requesting for an extension because I'm still waiting to hear back about getting off the waitlist from my 1st choice school (which I would estimate is probable).

The committee from my 1st choice school said they would give me an answer after April 15th. Perhaps I should go ahead and accept the 2nd choice offer and rescind if I get accepted into my 1st choice?

The BIG problem is, I am a current masters student in my 2nd choice program, so there is going to be some hate directed at me from the dean as well as my current PI if this takes place. I am pretty sure the dean doesn't like me so much, which is why he/she is ignoring my emails and I'm afraid to go to him/her directly. The committee consists of 5 people (dean + 4 faculty that know me well), but it is the dean that makes all the major decisions so I can't turn to anyone else for an extension.

Very conflicted :(

Edited by AtlasShrugs

So like many of you, I've got to make a decision for one PhD program (my 2nd choice) by April 15th. I've sent the dean multiple emails requesting for an extension because I'm still waiting to hear back about getting off the waitlist from my 1st choice school (which I would estimate is probable).

The committee from my 1st choice school said they would give me an answer after April 15th. Perhaps I should go ahead and accept the 2nd choice offer and rescind if I get accepted into my 1st choice?

The BIG problem is, I am a current masters student in my 2nd choice program, so there is going to be some hate directed at me from the dean as well as my current PI if this takes place. I am pretty sure the dean doesn't like me so much, which is why he/she is ignoring my emails and I'm afraid to go to him/her directly. The committee consists of 5 people (dean + 4 faculty that know me well), but it is the dean that makes all the major decisions so I can't turn to anyone else for an extension.

Very conflicted :(

Since you're there, I'd try to talk to somebody in person tomorrow if email is not working.

You seem confident you will get off the waitlist. Have you been told that you are first on the list?

You seem confident you will get off the waitlist. Have you been told that you are first on the list?

Nope, I don't know what position I am on the waitlist, but there were like 30 of us interviewed and about 25 spots, so I'm assuming I have a good shot. The school is the best in the field, but the particular department is not so popular and I've seen people getting off the waitlist from the previous 2-3 results on here. From my exchange with them, they said I was definitely admittable, but they didn't want to accept me (yet, hopefully) because they want to secure funding. 

Since you're there, I'd try to talk to somebody in person tomorrow if email is not working.

I'm just really really scared of the dean, so I don't want to talk to him/her, and I have this worry that he/she is going to change their mind since my application hit a few bumps in the 5-member committee based on what I heard from my PI (who is also on that committee). I think I'm just going to accept and rescind if needed, it's really the dean's fault for ignoring my requests like this. 

I'm just really really scared of the dean, so I don't want to talk to him/her, and I have this worry that he/she is going to change their mind since my application hit a few bumps in the 5-member committee based on what I heard from my PI (who is also on that committee). I think I'm just going to accept and rescind if needed, it's really the dean's fault for ignoring my requests like this. 

You still have a couple of days. If you must accept and then possibly rescind, wait as long as you can until accepting.

For those that have successfully received deadline extensions, how many additional weeks have they given you?

Strangely, I've been allowed an extension of one month for one school, and asked to name a date for another...? I didn't really want to take too much advantage of the school, so I picked something reasonable within this month, but maybe I could've pushed for next month.

I've got 2-2.5 months (not kidding). Pick a date by which you would be in a position to make a decision. Don't think too much about how it affects them. They will take care of that. But they're generally very helpful