Friendly reality check?

Hey just wanted to ask like-minded peers if I'm the one that needs to go get a hobby or i'm on the right track?

I'm in a post-baccalaureate program and will be applying to Grad school this coming Fall 2015.  I'm currently researching Graduate programs and have made a list of potentials and their stats/some minor details about their program lengths etc.  

I feel like i'm getting a lot of crap from my classmates about being a "worrier" or "stressing" too much when I talk about not applying here for X reason or liking this school b/c they have a shorter program etc.  They are assuming since I've compiled this information already that i'm obsessing over it and stressed out. More-so, since they haven't really looked into it much.  I haven't taken the GRE yet, I plan to this summer and will (hopefully) be working in a lab. 

Isn't it wise to look now and have that all prepared prior to this coming Fall when I will be taking 4 courses, commuting and having to fill out applications?  I'm probably being too sensitive but the looks I get or comments are making me feel insecure like I have OCD for knowing exactly what i'm getting into.

Any friendly comments on if I need to join a weekend club or my preparations are smart and perfectly normal at this stage in the game?  I have a life too lol, I'm just getting a complex after a few thinly veiled comments...

Thank you

You're getting crap for being prepared??! Don't listen to them. I kept pushing back the GRE and basically had to end up taking it during my post-bacc and I was very overwhelmed with all of that combined with work, applications, etc. I made an entire binder full of information for each school including stats, program details, contact information, etc. and I would have died without it. Don't worry about what others think b/c you'll have the last laugh when you're prepared and they're stressing out later this year.  :)

You're getting crap for being prepared??! Don't listen to them. I kept pushing back the GRE and basically had to end up taking it during my post-bacc and I was very overwhelmed with all of that combined with work, applications, etc. I made an entire binder full of information for each school including stats, program details, contact information, etc. and I would have died without it. Don't worry about what others think b/c you'll have the last laugh when you're prepared and they're stressing out later this year.  :)

Thank you that is exactly how I am approaching things.  I wish I had already taken the GRE but know it will be stressful so want to pick schools prior to taking it and have the GRE my primary focus this summer.  That way my applications will be easier knowing what schools to cater my SOP to and not be picking them while applying so I can ask for letters of rec the first month of school and have most information ready for them! 

I too have a notebook and have a spreadsheet on my computer to compare costs and all the details to narrow down my list.  If I told that to my classmates or "friends" in the program they would tell me i'm stressing too much, and not to worry.  I feel like I get put-down a little jokingly because they view my preparation as "obsessing" or being overly worked up about it. 

All of the people in my post-bacc were like total Type A personalities so A LOT of us had lists and spreadsheets. Even our professors were like omg, you guys need to calm down a little. haha But kudos to you for being organized! 

I made a spreadsheet about program details, length, application deadlines, etc and I have sent it to everyone I know. They all find it helpful, not stressful. There's just so much info and no one who has compiled it...

I've made at least 4 spread sheets regarding where to apply this round/where to apply if I don't get in this year/schools that have this or that. It actually helped all my anxiety about getting decisions back. Preparation is good and at least lets you feel like you have a good standing of what you're looking for!

Yeah, and to be honest this program has made me type-A.  I mean i'm sure it was lurking below the surface somewhere but wasn't like this in my undergrad.  I think the reason i'm so on top of it is because I'm a little older as a post-bacc student and need to get in so I can start a career.  I don't want to live at home forever haha. 

I think a lot of my fellow (post-bacc) classmates are younger and just are not as concerned at this time.  They are volunteering and getting good grades but are not really looking into the application process at all yet.  I was thinking my fellow post-baccs would be my age but there is a large percentage that came straight from undergrad and have a different mindset.  Or are just a group of very relaxed people haha.

Holly I honestly think we are products of our environment, if Grad school was easier to get into or they didn't tell us how hard it is, we wouldn't be so well prepared! 

Chandru I've always been forthcoming with help or friendly advice but am starting to consider just leaving it to myself b/c I resent the judgment haha.  They can do their own research since i'm getting crap for doing mine early!

I've made at least 4 spread sheets regarding where to apply this round/where to apply if I don't get in this year/schools that have this or that. It actually helped all my anxiety about getting decisions back. Preparation is good and at least lets you feel like you have a good standing of what you're looking for!

Thank you for the encouragement!  It does help me relax knowing i'm doing stuff one step at a time and not accidentally missing something important.

Remember that this field has become wicked competetive. I know several qualified applicants who did not get into school last year. The reality is that your chances will be better if you are well prepared and thoughtful about your approach! In the end, you have to prepare the best you can, take the GRE, and then submit your applications. Afterwards, you can do anything but twiddle your thumbs and grit your teeth, but at least you can say you did your best!

That said, do pause to enjoy life especially if the stress is having a negative effect on you!

Remember that this field has become wicked competetive. I know several qualified applicants who did not get into school last year. The reality is that your chances will be better if you are well prepared and thoughtful about your approach! In the end, you have to prepare the best you can, take the GRE, and then submit your applications. Afterwards, you can do anything but twiddle your thumbs and grit your teeth, but at least you can say you did your best!

That said, do pause to enjoy life especially if the stress is having a negative effect on you!

Thank you!  And I don't feel like the stress is affecting me, except maybe this bugging me is a sign lol.  I spend a lot of time on school but have a 3 day weekend most weeks and am not working so have plenty of time for balance.  I more feel like i'm being perceived as overly stressed and being unfairly judged b/c i'm preparing ahead of time. 

You guys are all right though, got to worry about myself and not what others think about me doing what works best for my application process. 

THIS ^^^ Right here. A million times!

All you can do is your very best, whatever that may look like. Don't take what others say personally- truth is their comments have nothing to do with you and more to do about their own feelings and thoughts. Shake it off! Shake it off!

I am so glad I don't know your classmates. Do they not realize how hard it is to get into grad school? It's not like applying to undergrad, where decent grades and extracurriculars will get you into a fine college.

The way I see it, from November to January, while your classmates are scrambling to take the GRE, write essays, get letters, and balance class work, you'll be much calmer, given all of the research you have done.

And this time next year, you'll have more acceptances than your friends. It all gets better!

I am so glad I don't know your classmates. Do they not realize how hard it is to get into grad school? It's not like applying to undergrad, where decent grades and extracurriculars will get you into a fine college.

The way I see it, from November to January, while your classmates are scrambling to take the GRE, write essays, get letters, and balance class work, you'll be much calmer, given all of the research you have done.

And this time next year, you'll have more acceptances than your friends. It all gets better!

They talk about the challenges in passing and are mostly volunteering so are aware of building their resumes but I feel like if they knew the numbers they'd be preparing more details now.  Nobody has started their letters of intent either so i'm assuming they are going to have an extremely busy summer!  

I think it might be because a lot of them went straight from undergrad degrees to a post-bacc program with hardly a summer in between.  So they haven't had to work at jobs they hate or had time to consider all the challenges of applying.  I carefully thought about if I wanted to return to school with the challenges of getting in.  I've been working hard for awhile, so preparing is all part of the process for me.

Thank you for all the support!  I hope I end up with more like-minded individuals in Graduate school so we can commend each other's preparation  :D .

I mean you don't plan therapy on the fly and wing it, so might as well get used to planning things ahead of time!

I agree with a lot that's been said (I also have my set of spreadsheets for every school with all the info, as well as loan/budgeting stuff, so totally with you) but I also think some of it may be a function of insecurity. Especially if they're a young-ish crowd, they may just be nervous (just like you) about the process but don't express their anxiety in the same way, brush it off in order not to have to deal with thinking about it now, etc. I know a lot of people like that.

I think it's great you're doing this, especially before you get really busy in the fall! For apply this year, I did a lot of research and made a document with a ton of information about a LOT of programs which helped me narrow down where I decided to apply. I didn't do this much research when I applied last year and I honestly think it's partly why I didn't get in anywhere last year. You have to do research and understand your chances of getting in to certain schools. I also made a document with deadlines and application requirements for each school and it definitely helped with my stress level. So good for you for being on top of it!! 

Thank you!  I'm doing a lot haha I really want to get in my first try...but I know everyone else does too!  I'm narrowing down my list and then going to email a bunch for some program specifics and that should help me finalize my list!  Whoo i'm going to be so excited when I have that "short" list!