Do they keep GRE scores?

greendiplomat

Hello all!

So I'm pretty sure I'm applying for Fall 2011, but I'm taking the GRE anyways because there's a slight chance I might be applying for Fall 2010 (besides, I think my mind's more in the quantitative/academic mindset right after having taken a bunch of math courses, than it will be a year or so out of college).

Since score reports cost $20 apiece after the initial 4 that are included in the testing fees, I was thinking of sending my scores to the 4 schools I'm definitely sure I'll be applying to. In the event that I don't end up applying this year, would they keep the scores for consideration for Fall 2011? I know that reapplying candidates, for example, don't have to resubmit their scores, but I'm wondering if they do the same for people that haven't formally applied in the first place...

All help appreciated!

No. Especially if you don't apply.

So schools don't keep GRE scores you've sent in the past if you did apply? It sounds like you meant that they don't keep GRE scores even if you applied before and also if you haven't applied.

UT-Austin keeps them, but only if you apply. Actually, that might apply to the entire Texas system because they use the same application system.

(I only know this because I applied there for both MA and PhD. I used the same application id for both, so the GRE scores were already there.)

If you sent your scores to a school they will match them up with your application when you apply. The scores themselves are good for 5 years. So, as long as you've sent your scores in the past 5 years you are fine. After you apply, they will take several weeks to show up on your application. And, if you are cynical and don't trust the system, spend the extra $20 and send your scores again right before you apply, but that's probably not necessary

If you sent your scores to a school they will match them up with your application when you apply. The scores themselves are good for 5 years. So, as long as you've sent your scores in the past 5 years you are fine. After you apply, they will take several weeks to show up on your application. And, if you are cynical and don't trust the system, spend the extra $20 and send your scores again right before you apply, but that's probably not necessary

Thanks, mims. That's what I was thinking, but I wanted to confirm. :)

Thanks, mims. That's what I was thinking, but I wanted to confirm. :)

I wouldn't trust that. It really depends on the school's IT infrastructure and how much information they keep (if at all) before they purge, where they store it, and what the back end looks like. Regardless, it differs so much from school to school, that you really shouldn't send them until the year you are applying.

-Former graduate coordinator.

Plisar is correct - that isn't how things work. The GRE will include your score on their score report for five years, but the school won't keep them for that long in the hopes that you'll apply later. You might have one that randomly keeps them, but this isn't a common practice. To be safe you need to send the reports again. It is only like 20 bucks per school, and with the amount of time and money you'll be investing in graduate school, that isn't a big deal.

I used to work at a graduate business school (I programmed the web application) in the top 25 and we didn't keep anything from year to year.