Eastern New Mexico University

Hey guys!

I just got my rejection letter from ENMU today, and I'm just wondering what other applicants (accepted or not) thought about their application process. What did you guys say for your three weaknesses? I was conflicted whether to list actual weaknesses or "positive" weaknesses like "I tend to overcommit," and "I work too hard," etc. (bad examples, but hopefully you get what I mean.) Also, what did you think of the island survival essay? I thought that was a really unique approach to looking at applicants. Congrats to those admitted!

I got waitlisted at ENMU which frankly I'm pretty excited about because I didn't think I'd get in, so at least it wasn't a flat out no :]

But I was pretty upfront about my weakness' however I made sure to really talk about how I want to fix them. I said I could be stubborn, lack confidence sometimes, and project my own self expectations on to others, which doesn't sound all too flattering but they were honest. And I think thats what they were looking for, honesty. 

As far as the island essay, oh man, that was hard. I must have written and re-written it a million times and at the end I still feel like I couldn't express everything I would have done in that character limit. But it was fun, I really had to use my critical thinking skills and it was a nice difference from all the other essays I had to write for schools. 

I was waitlisted at ENMU. I was honest about my weaknesses and I think I put something like I tend to procrastinate a lot.

As far as the island essay was, I wrote about how there wasn't enough information in the question for me to make a for sure decision. I wrote out a couple of different scenarios depending on what had happened in order to get to the island. I also said that there wasn't enough information on the physical condition of all the group members since that could play a big factor into what happens. I've taken a survival class before so I might have been a little biased on some things. My solution for the most part was to stay there and wait it out since one of the biggest rules of survival is stay where you are. Plus there was no way you were ever going to get off the island since it was apparently like 400 miles away from anything. It said some of the people had families so I said that the families would realize that we were missing and would have a relative idea as to where we would be based on where they knew we were traveling to.

I was actually accepted to ENMU. But I will say, that essay was definitely different. I don't remember exactly what I wrote--there were short term and long term plans. I was honest about my weaknesses and also made sure to put definite ways I was improving my weaknesses. I hope to meet some of you in the fall! 

Edited by caligirl002

I'm interested in applying to ENMU in the Spring? I have heard the professors have low ratings in the speech program? Has anyone else heard this? What are the positives? Negatives? Also, have you been in touch with any alumni that can offer information about their experience including out of state clinical and job placement?

I was accepted to ENMU and I also would like more information regarding what a typical week looks like at ENMU.  Traveling to campus 2 days a week will not be easy from California.  However, I also got accepted to CSUF this past week.  I'm really struggling with my decision.  If anyone can offer any insite of how the program at ENMU is that would be awesome.

I was honest about my weaknesses and I wrote what I was doing to work on them. I think they weigh heavy on the essay because my GRE was not good.  I didn't have time to study. 

Has anyone taken prereqs online through ENMU? I am hoping to take a class this summer and am curious how their classes work...specifically, do you have to watch the lecture at a certain time or is it on your own schedule? How is the quality of the courses? 

Edited by onedayslp

I attend ENMU currently. Distance education students attend classes synchronously with in class students. You attend in live time. Generally you check in with the instructor through video Skype, and then throughout the class you communicate with the class through the instant message component of Skype. All of the lectures are recorded, so you can go back and rewatch them as many times as you wish. It actually works out very well, the instructors are all very savvy with technology!

I attend ENMU currently. Distance education students attend classes synchronously with in class students. You attend in live time. Generally you check in with the instructor through video Skype, and then throughout the class you communicate with the class through the instant message component of Skype. All of the lectures are recorded, so you can go back and rewatch them as many times as you wish. It actually works out very well, the instructors are all very savvy with technology!

Thanks for the input! That is definitely very different from what I'm used to with Utah State's classes. Are all the classes done this way? I am taking Speech & Hearing Science. My main concern is that I will be abroad for 2 weeks of the summer... so I am not sure I'll be able to log on at specific times.

Hi Demjc24! Thank you for the information! I am thinking about applying there but am concerned about the clinical placements. Can you tell me about how that works? The advisor told me we are responsible for coming up with a list of hospitals that we can do our clinicals at and the school will call the hospitals for us. However, I live in Los Angeles and she said sometimes it can be hard to find placements in these busy areas. It makes me nervous considering I know the lack of clinical placements is one of the reasons there is a shortage of masters programs in speech right? 

I believe all of the graduate level courses are synchronous, but not undergraduate. I do know someone in speech and hearing science currently, and I don't think you have to attend it in live time since that class is solely online.

As far as clinical placements go, I'll give a little run down of how it works. Your first semester you are on campus in the clinic. After this, students go to a public school for a semester, a SNF for a semester, and birth-3 facility for a semester. Then you have what they call a "floater" semester where you choose one of the 3 previous placements to do again. In your last semester, you will do your hospital internship.

Yes, it is true that you have to come up with a list of placements and the clinic director contacts them and will formulate an affiliation agreement with the site and supervisor. We do have some students from LA in my cohort, and they did mention during orientation that LA is a difficult location to place. As far as I know though, everyone that has been through the program has been successful in securing placements. The clinic director does all of the negotiating and communicating with potential sites, you could be contacted for an interview though. I am in my first semester getting ready to do my school placement in the fall, so I don't have personal experience with it yet! I think it's great that the program allows us to get so much real world experience though!

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Thank you so much Demjc24 for that information.  I feel better about the program knowing the classes are synchronious and you can watch them over again.  I love that option.  I may have to fly back and forth between enmu and California my first semester.

Can you tell me if the two days on campus can be done together like a Monday, Tuesday or are they at the discretion of the school and could be let's say Monday/Thursday or something like that.  I wanted to be able to fly up and back pretty quickly if I need to but I don't know if that would be an option for me.

Thanks a ton!

I'll be honest, flying to and from California twice a week is unrealistic. The nearest airport is in Lubbock which is two hours away, and there aren't direct flights out of there. Even if there were a closer airport, making that trip on top of graduate school coursework seems impossible to me. Everyone lives in this area for the first semester. Some people choose to stay for subsequent semesters, while others go back to their hometown after the first semester. Clinic is two days a week, typically Mon/Wed or Tues/Thurs. You also have meetings with supervisors and confidential client report writing that must be done in a specific lab within the department. So with that, you're on campus more often than twice a week for your sessions. So just stick it out for the first semester, and you'll be able to go wherever you want! :)

Okay, thank you so much for all your information.  I can now make the best decision between CSUF and ENMU.  It seems pretty inexpensive to stay on campus for one semester.  What would you say is the best and most affordable option to stay at ENMU for a semester.

San Juan Village is the only place that I looked at. This is where many of the students in the program live. I pay $480/month for a 4 bedroom. They match you with other roommates, and will more than likely try to match you with someone else in the program. Everything is included in that rent and the apartments come furnished! There is also a pool, workout area, and computer lab for residents to use.

Wish, I could apply to ENMU. Check with Trish Mcguire, Director of Distance Education to see if ENMU is authorized to serve students in your state Or else you are wasting your time.

They do not currently serve students in MARYLAND :(

Thanks for the input! That is definitely very different from what I'm used to with Utah State's classes. Are all the classes done this way? I am taking Speech & Hearing Science. My main concern is that I will be abroad for 2 weeks of the summer... so I am not sure I'll be able to log on at specific times.

I took Speech and Hearing Science at ENMU. Is Wilkerson teaching it? That is who I had. I took it Spring 2014 and  we could log on whenever to see the lectures, as long as the assignments were done on time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have taken all of my prerequisites at ENMU. They were all asynchronus. Out of all of the 11 courses I have taken, only 3 instructors have used taped lectures of any kind. Fortunately, Speech Science w/ Wilkerson was one of those.  However, you still have quizzes / exams due weekly, but if I remember correctly you get a good several day window to take an exam / turn something in.

Other than those three instructors who provided asynchronus recordings of their on-campus classes, none of my other courses provided lectures. As a student with an auditory learning preference, this has been challenging! Mixed reviews about these classes overall (Speech science was a good one) but the program has been convenient and affordable, and I have been accepted to two graduate programs for the fall!  :D

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone from the wait list heard back from them?

If you email the program director Suzanne Swift she will reply to you fairly quickly about the waitlist, etc.  At least she always did for me last year when I was on the waitlist.  Hope that helps!