Short term happiness vs. long term career

sfrie

Hi everyone, 

I've written about this before in another feed, but I'm still struggling with the decision and I figure more opinions can't hurt. I'm basically choosing between a lab/adviser I fit with better and a school/location that I prefer and I'm unbelievably stuck. Both programs are amazing and pretty much on par with each other for my field of study, so I can't go wrong. Everyone I've talked to in my field says it's a no-brainer and I should pick the adviser at UC Davis, but I don't know that I want to spend my 20s in Davis. Thank you so much for any help you guys can offer. This community has been an amazing help through out this entire process and I wish you all the best!

UChicago:

Pros

Better location

Higher stipend

Fewer teaching requirements

Field Museum

Fieldwork possibilities

More integrated department

Cons

Adviser not AS productive, but still considered good

Very small lab

UC Davis:

Pros

Adviser is very well known and highly regarded in my field

Work in lab currently and love the environment/adviser

Alumni of this lab almost always get TT positions (this lab has pretty much spawned a dynasty)

Better fit with my research interests

Larger department and lab

Cons

Location (not a big fan of small towns)

Lower stipend

More teaching

Ridiculously close to where I grew up

Edited by sfrie

This is a very personal decision. It depends on how much you don't want to live in Davis. Why are you against spending your 20s there? Would you be seriously unhappy there, or maybe just a little bored?

I really think UC Davis looks better if you want an academic job. If nearly everyone gets TT, that's huge! But if you are going to be horribly miserable in Davis, your work will suffer and perhaps you wouldn't finish, so you have to consider that.

I agree with MathCat. It seems that there are no academic reasons for you not to go to Davis. You are close enough to San Francisco to go there frequently, if you can afford it. And besides, people also make the places. If you are working there now and like the people, you will probably be fine. But, as MathCat said, that is a very personal decision.

Good luck.

Hmm.. that is a tough choice! I am in a similar predicament myself so I can understand just how perplexed you must feel. I can't tell you what to do because thats only a decision for you to make and also I am in Canada so I am not familiar with the schools/program, but what I can advise is this:

You can take the UC Davis path and albeit hating the location you may be able to embark on amazing opportunities which may open up doors for you in employment or other venues where you can live in other parts of the country or world. You may met amazing people and may have the opportunity to do work that is exciting for you.

OR you can take a chance and go to a location (UChicago) you THINK you may love (but may or may not in reality) and have to work harder to make the work interesting to you or have to network more in order to open doors for yourself. However, success can be achieved but maybe with more more work and time. 

So if you're confident in your ambitions, believe in your abilities and are able to hustle then take a risk.... I think both choices are great so you can't really go wrong either way. Listen to your inner voice :) Best of luck! 

Thank you all so much for the input. I think based on what all of you have logically stated, my decision is pretty clear here. Looks like I'll likely be attending UC Davis, I just might need a few days to wrap my head around it before actually hitting the accept button. I really appreciate all of your help!

Congrats on making your decision! While I don't know either of these locations, I am also not keen on living in towns so I understand your hesitation. If you can get out to San Francisco every second weekend or even once a month, I would highly recommend it. It can make a huge difference to get away from time to time. As well, chances are you will be so busy working in the lab and doing research you wouldn't have a lot free time to explore your new home anyway, even if you did live in a place like Chicago instead. Good luck to you!

Congrats on your decision! I was going to advise you to go to Davis, too - you really want to be in the kind of lab where people "spawn a dynasty," lol. Also remember that small towns/cities are often cheaper; being a graduate student can get frustrating fast in an expensive large city.