Fulbright 2016 - 2017

MastersHoping

22 minutes ago, horatiustb said:

Spain for ETA. today was the day that they decided last year (3/16/15 was the 3rd monday). Is the decision made within the host country? Because if so that ought to rule out (at least for me) any further decisions today give the time differences. 

My understanding of the system is that once we made it through the first round (of US review) our applications were sent to review in-country, but that the notification email we'll receive for principal/alternate/non-select comes from the US Fulbright commission (or IEE/whatever the proper term is -- but within the US, on eastern time). Veterans on this thread feel free to clarify/correct if I got it wrong!!

9 minutes ago, kfm said:

My understanding of the system is that once we made it through the first round (of US review) our applications were sent to review in-country, but that the notification email we'll receive for principal/alternate/non-select comes from the US Fulbright commission (or IEE/whatever the proper term is -- but within the US, on eastern time). Veterans on this thread feel free to clarify/correct if I got it wrong!!

Hi!! I have a friend who got to the ETA last week...the email of acceptance was not from IIE, but from an individual who worked for the specific Fulbright Commission in her given country...I am not sure if this is unique to Turkey, but her email was from an actual person, not a generated user like IIE or Embark etc.

1 hour ago, kfm said:

The final notification should come from IIE, just like the semi-finalist notification.  It seems that, according to this page, once the country's Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy decides, their decision must still be approved by FFSB.  So I'm curious what the turn-around time is for FFSB to approve of the selection.

59 minutes ago, Missylou said:

Hi!! I have a friend who got to the ETA last week...the email of acceptance was not from IIE, but from an individual who worked for the specific Fulbright Commission in her given country...I am not sure if this is unique to Turkey, but her email was from an actual person, not a generated user like IIE or Embark etc.

Maybe your friend's notification is unique to Turkey or whoever emailed her from Turkey's Fulbright commission skirted the protocol and notified her first? My email last year was technically emailed from the IIE program manager for my region, but the email was IIE generated - so maybe your friend just thought the email was from the Fulbright Commission? Hard to say.

6 hours ago, cc2016sr2017 said:

Slovakia found out this morning, unfortunately I wasn't selected. I'm very sad, and giving myself today to be bummed, but tomorrow is a new day. I'm going to focus on graduating, and that because I won't be going on the Fulbright my boyfriend and I will most likely be moving in together. Just trying to stay positive.

All the best for everyone, regardless of the outcome of the Fulbright. 

I'm sorry to hear that, I was rooting for you! But I am glad that you are thinking positively!

19 hours ago, Writer86 said:

Congratulations on your interview, sat0ri! I haven't yet received an interview request for the UK Open Award, so...I'm anxious. I think I did fail to mention that my application falls under the arts category -- still a research/study grant, but 'Arts' rather than 'Academic.' That changes the entire review process, so I should probably stop trying to make sense of the notification timelines for past years. From what I surmise, having been selected as a semi-finalist in the arts means I was approved by the designated NSC creative subcommittee, and now my application is tossed back into the overall UK pool for further processing...? The Arts Application Statistics PDF seems to imply that, anyhow: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/country-review-resources. It does make the "semi-finalist" designation murky. Under the 'Arts' category, it seems like semi-finalists are determined based on field (music, theatre, etc.) rather than country. I have to assume that they wouldn't tell me I'm a semi-finalist unless they meant I'd "made the cut" in both the 'Arts' pool *and* the UK pool, but...who knows!

In any case, I'm happy to have found a forum where I can be an anxious puddle of confusion alongside talented strangers :-)

Hey! I'm glad you're back! I was wondering what happened to you! I kept checking for you on here.

Just to add to your line of reasoning, I think UK open awards, as compared to partnership awards, are more irregular in terms of chronology because applications are processed by both the various government agencies bewteen the countries as well as the academic institutions that don't (necessarily) have the designated committees to deal with international scholarship applications. So if your host institution experiences delays processing your application (and subsequently confirming with Fulbright that you've been accepted), that could also retard the progression of your application and interview invite notification. Did you receive notification from the university you applied to that you've been accepted, and if so, when? But, at any rate, you probably can't put too much weight into the past years' notification time, both for being an Arts semifinalist and an open-award semifinalist. However, you might want to look at the US-UK Fulbright Open Award webpage (under the timeline tab), if you haven't already.

Two things I noticed in the pdf you linked is that it says (1) being recommended means you are "worthy of a Fulbright award", and (2) the arts is even more highly selective than academic fulbrights. So (1) congratulations and that makes me curious what you project is! You can PM me if you don't want to broadcast it publicly (2) you really didn't do yourself any favors by applying one of the most prestigious international awards, in the most competitive grant type (Arts) in one of the most competitive countries in a category with the smallest amount of awards!

My understanding is, being a semi-finalist, you "made the cut" for both the UK open award and Arts pool from the US side of things, and they sent your app over for review on the UK side of things (like you said). Again, congrats based on points (1) and (2).

@Writer86 Also, at the height (or depth, rather) of my neuroticism, I emailed the senior program officer for Europe/Eurasia at the IIE, who said if you did not receive an interview invite it does not mean you are not still being considered. This was 1 month ago though, so things could have changed in the meantime. For some peace of mind, you could try emailing people involved with the processing of your app. Previous Fulbrighters have said they are actually warm and helpful people, so you don't need to be too intimidated.

Okay UK Fulbright hopefuls, hang on tight. If this Fulbright cycle is anything like 2010-2014 (for partnership award applicants at least), this may very well be the day our lives are drastically and--for better or worse--indelibly changed...

Hi all! New here and so glad I found this forum to keep me updated about Fulbright notifications. I applied to South Korea for the ETA but stupidly did so with my school email which was deactivated in December, so I've been super paranoid about not getting the notification email even though I asked for them to update it. My fears were confirmed when I did not receive the notification about semi-final status (thank goodness there was no time-sensitive info in that one!), and I am worried that I won't receive the final notification as well, so this forum is perfect for letting me know when I need to call them. I had a bit of an anxiety attack finding out that so many notifications are already out, but am relieved Korea is not one of them. Thank you so much for this forum, and I'll be poking in on the daily to monitor it!

Also, ps.

Ever consider creating a Facebook group for this like they have for the CLS applicants? It might be helpful for those of us who find forums a little unwieldy.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, airlie said:

Hi all! New here and so glad I found this forum to keep me updated about Fulbright notifications. I applied to South Korea for the ETA but stupidly did so with my school email which was deactivated in December, so I've been super paranoid about not getting the notification email even though I asked for them to update it. My fears were confirmed when I did not receive the notification about semi-final status (thank goodness there was no time-sensitive info in that one!), and I am worried that I won't receive the final notification as well, so this forum is perfect for letting me know when I need to call them. I had a bit of an anxiety attack finding out that so many notifications are already out, but am relieved Korea is not one of them. Thank you so much for this forum, and I'll be poking in on the daily to monitor it!

Also, ps.

Ever consider creating a Facebook group for this like they have for the CLS applicants? It might be helpful for those of us who find forums a little unwieldy.

Cheers!

Another South Korea ETA semi finalist over here. I will be sure to post in here as soon as I get the notification to give you a heads up. Good luck to us both! 

2 hours ago, sat0ri said:

Okay UK Fulbright hopefuls, hang on tight. If this Fulbright cycle is anything like 2010-2014 (for partnership award applicants at least), this may very well be the day our lives are drastically and--for better or worse--indelibly changed...

I know I'm splitting hairs here, but is there an approximate time for the UK folks to hear back? Has it been in the morning or in the evening (US times)?

2 hours ago, sat0ri said:

Beautifully said!  I'm excited and nervous for today...  Hopefully today is the day!

24 minutes ago, Carterware said:

I know I'm splitting hairs here, but is there an approximate time for the UK folks to hear back? Has it been in the morning or in the evening (US times)?

The most recent year, 2015, was late in regards to time as well, notifications were sent out as late ~9PM 03/30/15... so it could be quite a long day. The preceding 5 years there's no data on the time that I see, only that notifications came very early in the 3rd week of March (perhaps more accurately, the middle of the month). I guess the first thing to learn from those previous 5 years is that, at least a few of us should fill in the time of day of our notification for forthcoming Fulbrighters, to quell the inordinate anxieties of posterity or whatnot :P If we don't learn of the decision today, it's really anyone's guess at that point, because there's no reason to think it will any one day over another. Definitely an unsettling mix of absolute excitement and terrible dread going on right now...

Actually, it looks like for all years there is available data (9 years total), decisions invariably came on a Monday or Tuesday. So I guess UK people can relegate their woes to the beginning of the week and be moderately functional the rest of the week.

holy smokes, I was just notified that I'm a finalist for study/research in Poland! I had intended to open an email from a student and I didn't even know I was reading the Fulbright decision email until it was too late.  happy tuesday, everyone!! 

7 minutes ago, highhopesanddreams said:

With every single day more and more countries around CZ hearing makes me more and more anxious that today may be the day... I know there is no real logic and every country is on it's own schedule but it's so exciting to see so many people hearing now a days!

I know what you mean! It makes me so excited for everyone but also even more anxious. I only hope we all hear (good news) soon!