Northwestern vs NYU vs USC? Summer/Fall 2015

smooshie

Hi guys. I've been accepted for fall/summer 2015 for MSc in Journalism at Northwestern and USC and MA in Journalism at NYU (literary reportage program). While I'm thrilled about the acceptances, I'm having a horrible time deciding between the schools.

Funding issues aside (which all total to be about the same), I'm torn between the different programs and the different locations. My main interests are in magazine writing and long form/literary journalism.

I'm leaning towards NYU because of NYC and the project-oriented curriculum (i.e. for admissions, Lit. Rep. people had to pitch a potential project they'd like to pursue once they get accepted into the MA program. The curriculum, from what I can tell, is designed to accomodate the development of your project). However, I'm afraid that this project-based curriculum would make landing an internship harder after graduation (although the program does allow you take electives from other concentrations, I think).

Northwestern and USC are in two beautiful cities, and from what I know, their programs are both quite reputable. To me, it seems that their curriculums are better designed for landing jobs and internships right after graduation. But of course, that's just my un-educated assumption from looking at their website and browsing various forums. (Although honestly, if I had to pick between the two cities, I'd probably prefer LA over Chicago/Evanston purely because of the climate)

Can anyone give some insight? How do the schoos stand prestige-wise? Program-wise? Ultimately, I want to become a good/better writer, but I would also like to have some more multi-media skills/competence under my belt. While I'm thrilled about my NYU acceptance to the Lit. Rep program, it seems that Medill NU and USC Annenberg's are more focused on developing these professional skills/networks/connections (and also, I've heard some great things about NU both prestige-wise and program-wise).

Anyhow, I need to submit my admissions deposit soon, so any comment/remark/thought/opinion would be greatly appreciated. I really really want to be in NYC, but at the same time, I don't want to undermine career/professional priorities simply because a nice/preferrable location.

As someone who also applied to Northwestern and USC for another communications-related program, I could at least share some insight on those schools as a whole. Both schools are widely known for educating some of the world's greatest journalists across all fields. To accurately compare the two would be tough because they're both the dominant journalism programs in their respective regions and highly-regarded nationally.

I don't think NYC's project-based curriculum would make it tougher for your to find a job after graduation. You could parlay that experience into useful skills that publishers look for in journalists - such as project/time management, meeting deadlines, etc.

Overall, I think what I'd do in your situation is create a list of questions and speak to or email someone in each school's admissions department. Depending on how each school answers will provide you with a clearer head on how to make your decision. If you have a mentor in your industry, I'd consult with them to get their thoughts. You really are in a good situation, and no matter where you decide to go you can't go wrong.

As someone who also applied to Northwestern and USC for another communications-related program, I could at least share some insight on those schools as a whole. Both schools are widely known for educating some of the world's greatest journalists across all fields. To accurately compare the two would be tough because they're both the dominant journalism programs in their respective regions and highly-regarded nationally.

I don't think NYC's project-based curriculum would make it tougher for your to find a job after graduation. You could parlay that experience into useful skills that publishers look for in journalists - such as project/time management, meeting deadlines, etc.

Overall, I think what I'd do in your situation is create a list of questions and speak to or email someone in each school's admissions department. Depending on how each school answers will provide you with a clearer head on how to make your decision. If you have a mentor in your industry, I'd consult with them to get their thoughts. You really are in a good situation, and no matter where you decide to go you can't go wrong.

Omg, CFBrown, thank you so much for the input! Your comment was very encouraging, and it's put me more at ease (the deadlines to decide by were making me a bit frantic)

And I'm also relieved by your comments on NYU -- I'm an English major for undergrad, so I'm kind of new to journalism/communications field.

Do you, by any chance know how NYU's prestige/reputation in the area compare with USC and Northwestern? Does it matter?

Omg, CFBrown, thank you so much for the input! Your comment was very encouraging, and it's put me more at ease (the deadlines to decide by were making me a bit frantic)

And I'm also relieved by your comments on NYU -- I'm an English major for undergrad, so I'm kind of new to journalism/communications field.

Do you, by any chance know how NYU's prestige/reputation in the area compare with USC and Northwestern? Does it matter?

No problem! Us communications-related master's students have it tough on here being that their aren't many people who share our interests. Unfortunately, I don't know much about NYU's program since they did not offer something in the public relations realm (and I knew I couldn't afford to go to New York City for grad school). However, I do know that NYU overall has very high academic standards and it takes a special student to get accepted there. Don't take my word for it, but my guess would be that it's not as prestigious journalism-wise as USC and Northwestern...but that's just a guess since I don't know anyone who ever went to school there.

Thanks CFBrown :)

I really appreciate your input!

Have you decided between USC and NU yet?

Let me know when you do!

Actually, I'm going to commit to Syracuse!

Hi smooshie!

I'm also planning on pursuing a Master's at a j-school in the fall (either Medill, Stanford, or Columbia), so these are just my thoughts based on what I've researched online:

As far as program prestige or rankings, I've found that Medill and USC are almost always among the top 5 j-school rankings, while NYU is usually in the top 10. This doesn't necessarily mean that Medill and USC are much, much better than NYU, but I think they have a more recognizable prestige in the journalism industry.

On the other hand, NYU has a huge plus in that it's located in the mecca of media and publishing. But like CFBrown said, both USC and Medill are the dominant journalism programs in their respective areas (although Berkeley is also supposed to be very well-regarded on the West Coast), so there will probably be plenty of opportunities in the local area. Many j-school students also relocate to NYC after they graduate, so if it's really important for you to get a head-start in NYC, then location is also something to think about.

Best of luck with your decision!

Hi pretensions,

Thanks so much for your response.

Right now, I'm leaning towards NYU~ but I'll keep you posted if I change my mind.

Best of luck with your decision as well. Do share with us your final decision!

(PS - I'm waitlisted for Columbia, and it's definitely my top top choice. Congrats on your acceptance there -- I'm jealous!)

• 2 weeks later...

I applied, got through, and rejected all the three you mentioned. All of them are excellent.

I'd say USC Annenberg is a very good school in terms of the freedom they give to explore your curriculum and build your skills. They were SUPER accommodating for me and really wanted me to come. Their program is a much more broad-based curriculum and touches upon all aspects of different media (TV, radio, print). And USC is well placed; it's the ONLY J-school in LA and they have a new program director, who, a current student told me, has brought in a lot of good opportunities.

Medill, again, is a very strong program and has a very sharp digital focus. I do not know how the literary reporting there is. Only issue is it's in Evanston, a location I was not too keen on.

My issue with NYU was the steep living cost in NYC. Otherwise it's a great university with good faculty.

Weigh your pros and cons accordingly now. Include finances in your consideration 

I applied, got through, and rejected all the three you mentioned. All of them are excellent.

I'd say USC Annenberg is a very good school in terms of the freedom they give to explore your curriculum and build your skills. They were SUPER accommodating for me and really wanted me to come. Their program is a much more broad-based curriculum and touches upon all aspects of different media (TV, radio, print). And USC is well placed; it's the ONLY J-school in LA and they have a new program director, who, a current student told me, has brought in a lot of good opportunities.

Medill, again, is a very strong program and has a very sharp digital focus. I do not know how the literary reporting there is. Only issue is it's in Evanston, a location I was not too keen on.

My issue with NYU was the steep living cost in NYC. Otherwise it's a great university with good faculty.

Weigh your pros and cons accordingly now. Include finances in your consideration 

Thanks for the response grindian! So sorry to hear about the rejection. I also got rejected by some other programs I applied to and trust me, I know how it feels.

And thank you so much for weighing in on this. You're right about the pros and cons regarding location for the three schools.

Update: After much consideration, I've put the deposit down for NYU.

:)

Thanks for the response grindian! So sorry to hear about the rejection. I also got rejected by some other programs I applied to and trust me, I know how it feels.

And thank you so much for weighing in on this. You're right about the pros and cons regarding location for the three schools.

Update: After much consideration, I've put the deposit down for NYU.

:)

Haha, no. I rejected them. And congratulations on NYU :)

Haha, no. I rejected them. And congratulations on NYU :)

Ahh, sorry for mis-reading. Well in that case, congrats! :D

And thanks :) NYC has been a dream since I was a teenager~

• 4 years later...