Going about becoming an RA

beefgallo

The funding offer I got from a university I was accepted to does not mention that I need to be a TA or RA to receive the funding as a paycheck. How should I go about becoming an RA? Do I just approach a professor in whose research I am interested and offer my services?

Clarify with them if this is a fellowship (essentially free money) or an assistantship. They may not have a specific job for you yet and that is why. But getting in touch with them about what they expect from you is a good idea.

I have re-read the letter I got from them and it actually mentions that I will later get details on whether the stipend is a fellowship or assistantship and what will be required of me. I guess that I will get that information after accepting their offer.

^ I had similar concerns when I was offered admission into Indiana University's MA History program. I contacted the DGS, and he provided some information (not alot) to ease my mind. He said additional information will be given after April 15th and if I have further questions/concerns to contact him directly.