waitlisted...

Alohomoraaa

Hi,could anyone kindly explain how the waitlist thing works? The department said that they'll contact me as soon as a spot is available and they'll have a final definite decision by April 15th. I know that an offer has been declined but I didn't receive anything. Does this mean that this spot has been taken up by a higher-ranked candidate on the waitlist? Or the department will contact contact all waitlisted people after April 15th? Is it necessary to reaffirm my interest to the departmnet at this point? The whole waiting process is a complete torture :/ Thanks in advance!

Alohamoraaa, most schools send out many more offers than they have spots. I am waitlisted for funding at Rutgers, and was told they have made eight offers for three spots. So SIX people who have received offers must reject before one more person comes off the wait list.

Apparently, however, it IS very common for people to reject, since the first choice candidates usually are first choice at MANY schools.

I have a similar confusion right now. I was notified yesterday that the admission had not yet completed and was asked my current status by the professor. She also said that the final decision will be made by 14th. How should I interpret this email? Should I still expect the possibility of getting a reject letter in the end?

Edited by Sing

I'm in a worse situation. Waitlisted in Rutgers and will only have an answer around April21st, which is rather bizzare, since obviously if i have another offer (which I do) I must accept it by April 15th.

I got a heads-up email on Sunday night (April 12), the official letter from the Graduate School went out April 14 and they gave me until April 17 to respond. Asking for a status update is not frowned upon-- I had done so twice before I received this offer from them.

When I applied for my MA, I was accepted off the wait list after the April 15th deadline. I had already accepted an offer from another school by that time though. I recommend making contact with the program before April 15th to show your interest (if you are actually interested in that program over any other offers you have). 

Congrats, btw!

Thank you!! Now to figure out whether I want to accept it and not my other top choice!

Accepted off the waitlist today at my #1!!!

Congratulations! what a great feeling. :)

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use