Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

Congrats! Can you tell me how you were notified? Mail, Phone or Email? I am waiting for Sweden and curious how they will notify if there is a change.

I was emailed and the email said "Please call our office to discuss the status of your application" and when I called I was offered an award and asked if I was willing to accept it. Um, HELL YES.

I was emailed and the email said "Please call our office to discuss the status of your application" and when I called I was offered an award and asked if I was willing to accept it. Um, HELL YES.

That Rocks!! Hope I get the same email next week :)

Just got an email from Rachel with my assignment in Turkey. I'll be at the Mehmet Akif Ersoy University in Burdur. Anyone else receive their assignment?

I am new to the world of GradCafe, but I just learned that I will be posted in Amasya at Amasya University.

I am new to the world of GradCafe, but I just learned that I will be posted in Amasya at Amasya University.

Hey guys--add your placements to the spreadsheet. So excited to get more news!

Edited by SVN

Anyone on this thread already applying/interested in Fulbright 2011-2012?!?!

Being the engineer I am, I like planning things out and being very detail-oriented about things.

I just wanted to say this thread has been amazing and that spreadsheet is also awesome. I'm planning on applying to so many things that I'm worried about scheduling the next couple years of my PhD (my advisor thinks I plan too far ahead ... 'tis true).

What specific advice do you guys' have in terms of the application process? Any insights into what these people may be looking for?

Hmm, I might just start the next Fulbright thread ...

Thanks and good luck in your respective countries for the upcoming academic year!!

Anyone on this thread already applying/interested in Fulbright 2011-2012?!?!

Being the engineer I am, I like planning things out and being very detail-oriented about things.

I just wanted to say this thread has been amazing and that spreadsheet is also awesome. I'm planning on applying to so many things that I'm worried about scheduling the next couple years of my PhD (my advisor thinks I plan too far ahead ... 'tis true).

What specific advice do you guys' have in terms of the application process? Any insights into what these people may be looking for?

Hmm, I might just start the next Fulbright thread ...

Thanks and good luck in your respective countries for the upcoming academic year!!

I'll be applying as well. I wonder what the pool is going to look like this year since the economy has taken a dive. Probably means more people looking for free/cheap opportunities.

I'll be applying as well. I wonder what the pool is going to look like this year since the economy has taken a dive. Probably means more people looking for free/cheap opportunities.

That's what I'm thinking.

Where are you thinking about applying, if you'd like to share; I know some people are really secretive about certain things on these forums.

I ask because I've been looking at stats at different countries and what's the percentage likelihood of getting in ... but I bet there are more factors ... such as your field of study ... etc.

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I received an ETA for Taiwan--I'll be headed to Yilan county. There was a major malfunction with my mailing address--because I lived in a dorm building the post office voided my change of address form and my landlords accidentally sent my mail to another girl with the same last name as me. I haven't gotten my mail yet and I've been out of school 3 weeks--the girl who has my mail is supposed to forward it to me.

The last contact I had with anyone from the Fulbright people was an email with my E-ticket. Does anyone know if there's paper mail I'm missing? I'm going to call the NYC office tomorrow but I'm really anxious since I haven't heard anything in awhile and I've had this major mailing malfunction.

That's what I'm thinking.

Where are you thinking about applying, if you'd like to share; I know some people are really secretive about certain things on these forums.

I ask because I've been looking at stats at different countries and what's the percentage likelihood of getting in ... but I bet there are more factors ... such as your field of study ... etc.

I'm applying to Germany. I'll just say that they usually only send one per year in my field of study, however, I'm not sure exactly how competitive it is.

Where will you be applying?

Edited by Mikey

I'm applying to Germany. I'll just say that they usually only send one per year in my field of study, however, I'm not sure exactly how competitive it is.

Where will you be applying?

I'm looking at Norway and also Germany. I'm kind of banking on Germany b/c I've taken some German, am familiar with the culture, and that's where I'm trying to get an affiliation. I'm not sure how the commissions look at the different fields applying. I've always thought that the Fulbright is quite heavy on the social sciences. But I'm a civil engineer looking at doing with hydrologic modeling. So I dunno. But one of my teachers said that the reason there aren't many scientists and engineers is b/c they don't usually apply.

Is your field in the sciences/engineering?

Edited by crimsonengineer87

Is your field in the sciences/engineering?

No.

I am curious, however, as to whether there has ever been an admit to the Germany study program who had little to no previous experience with the German language. If anyone could comment as to this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Mikey

No.

I am curious, however, as to whether there has ever been an admit to the Germany study program who had little to no previous experience with the German language. If anyone could comment as to this, it would be greatly appreciated.

From the website, it says that the language is "commensurate" upon your stay in Germany and that they offer a special language program!

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/program_country.html?id=41

But I bet you have enough German to conduct daily activities. My German is most def not up to par.

And I think it's a case by case basis. When we were thinking the Netherlands, I was like, well I don't know Dutch. But the university I would work at conducts most of their research in English. So I guess in your application, a case could be made ... but I don't know. I'm also going through, what looks like, a long process.

From the website, it says that the language is "commensurate" upon your stay in Germany and that they offer a special language program!

http://us.fulbrighto...ntry.html?id=41

But I bet you have enough German to conduct daily activities. My German is most def not up to par.

And I think it's a case by case basis. When we were thinking the Netherlands, I was like, well I don't know Dutch. But the university I would work at conducts most of their research in English. So I guess in your application, a case could be made ... but I don't know. I'm also going through, what looks like, a long process.

Hey guys-

It may make more sense to start a new thread for next year. There's still plenty that 2010-2011 grant recipients will be discussing here and I feel like these conversations will become very confusing. Why not start a 2011-2012 thread?

http://us.fulbrighto...ntry.html?id=41

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. The university I want to affiliate with conducts all of its classes in English. So, who knows what effect my poor German language skills will have on my app.

As for the post immediately above; I do believe we should start a new thread. I've got a meeting right now but, if if one isn't started by the time I return, I'll post one up. Sorry for the hijacking.

Edited by Mikey

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. The university I want to affiliate with conducts all of its classes in English. So, who knows what effect my poor German language skills will have on my app.

As for the post immediately above; I do believe we should start a new thread. I've got a meeting right now but, if if one isn't started by the time I return, I'll post one up. Sorry for the hijacking.

No worries about jacking--just easier to keep conversations separated!

WHOA, how's this for fairytale?

Was flat-out rejected for an ETA to Turkey last month and just received a call offering a grant due to the increased funding! I don't know if the original letter was sent in error or what, but if anyone who was rejected is still lurking on these boards... apparently crazy things can happen!

WHOA, how's this for fairytale?

Was flat-out rejected for an ETA to Turkey last month and just received a call offering a grant due to the increased funding! I don't know if the original letter was sent in error or what, but if anyone who was rejected is still lurking on these boards... apparently crazy things can happen!

Wow! That's great. Congratulations!

any idea what'll happen if we don't hear back before orientation (which I think is in two weeks)? :(

I emailed JJ about this, and he says that those who do not have formal acceptances will not be invited to the orientation. sad.gif But I guess we can sit in the "pending" limbo until September, technically. I don't know what happens if we don't hear by then... and I'm scared to ask. If you talk to JJ and find anything out, let me know. I've emailed him twice this week and am sensing that i might be annoying him.... but I am really starting to wonder if there is something wrong with my app which has stalled it. Even if we'd been waitlisted you'd think we would have heard something by NOW.