Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

Hey, thanks for the alert. Yeah, I can revert back to an old version of the spreadsheet.. how long ago do you think it happened?

No idea, but I noticed it was a problem two days ago.

Congratulations!

My wife and I were both alternates to Poland, she for a teaching award (Lodz) and me for a research award (Warsaw). She was moved to principal status six days after our alternate notice, which was now almost a month ago. We are going - starting in Sept. we'll be gone 10 months.

I'll be heading to Poland as well (ETA). Any word on when ETAs (from Poland or from other countries) might learn more details? I'm currently in the dark on this... I have received no word regarding where I've been placed, when I'll be leaving, what age group/English level I might be teaching, etc.

ETAs from previous years, do you remember when you heard? Also, does anyone know if Poland offers any language-intensive training prior to the start of the grant?

Hi AnthroLawyerAborad! Let us all know what you find out on Monday. I am interested in finding out how many more alternates they have on the list. Hope you'll get it!

Hey y'all-

I'm a finalist for Croatia. I say finalist because I haven't received any word at all- no snail mail or email. I'm no longer at my 'current' address; it expired 12/20/09. I've received nothing at my permanent address in the US either.

Any thoughts on the situation? Particular, did anyone who was rejected (and is still reading this forum...) get an email of any kind? I'm hoping here's an envelope with good news somewhere in the world, since I didn't receive the 'alternate' email about keeping DC open.

Thanks!

Somehow, the trains in the lowlands of Europe are faster than the postal service. I traveled to my former 'current' address and retrieved my letter...finding out good news! I received a full grant to Croatia.

Alternates, keep hope: I have an interview for my dream job in three hours, and the Fulbright was one of the steps to getting this job. But if they think I'm as pretty and nice at this NGO as the Fulbright Board thought, one of the Croatia spots might open up....

One of the alternates is wishing you all the luck! :)))))

Somehow, the trains in the lowlands of Europe are faster than the postal service. I traveled to my former 'current' address and retrieved my letter...finding out good news! I received a full grant to Croatia.

Alternates, keep hope: I have an interview for my dream job in three hours, and the Fulbright was one of the steps to getting this job. But if they think I'm as pretty and nice at this NGO as the Fulbright Board thought, one of the Croatia spots might open up....

So, it turns out that while I was waiting in limbo over alternate status for China, I received notification that I received a Fulbright-Hays award instead (which actually in my case makes more sense! I'm a PhD student several years into my program). This happened to at least one other person I know (didn't receive Fulbright, rec'd FB Hays). I have to wonder - do these agencies talk to one another while making decisions? ;-)

Hello German ETA-ers,

Have any of you found out which city/town you will be placed in? I received a letter last Friday. Looks like I'm living in Muenchen for a year! Anybody else in Bayern? ?

I've only found out which state. Still waiting to hear which city exactly. But Ive been in touch with some other ETA-ers. So far your the only one Ive heard from who is in Bayern.

Hello German ETA-ers,

Have any of you found out which city/town you will be placed in? I received a letter last Friday. Looks like I'm living in Muenchen for a year! Anybody else in Bayern? :-)

I turned down my Fulbright award to accept another fellowship for travel to the same country. It was the strangest feeling. I never in my wildest dreams imagined myself declining a Fulbright. Ever. But I'm glad this means that an alternate will receive it. Best of luck to everyone!

I turned down my Fulbright award to accept another fellowship for travel to the same country. It was the strangest feeling. I never in my wildest dreams imagined myself declining a Fulbright. Ever. But I'm glad this means that an alternate will receive it. Best of luck to everyone!

Congrats on getting another fellowship that made turning down a Fulbright worthwhile. Which country are you going to?

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum so I apologize if I'm not posting this correctly. I am one of the finalists for a Fulbright to Israel and I am anxiously waiting for a response. Have any other Israel finalists received a response? Thanks all, and good luck to everyone!

Hey all, I just found out that I was accepted as an ETA to Spain. I was an alternate to Valencia before, and now I am going! I was wondering if anyone here had been accepted to Valencia as well? Also, does any one know the funding that we will be provided as Spanish ETAs (although I know this may vary from region to region)?

I am wondering if anybody has heard of anybody getting denied medical clearance for taking antidepressants. I have been on a low dose of lexapro for 6 years and don't know whether or not it will cause any issues. I have heard of people getting denied PeaceCorps positions because they had a history of depression and/or were taking medication. I don't know how rigid fulbright is about these things. If anybody knows something about this topic, please let me know!! Thanks! Oh, and I got accepted as an ETA to Indonesia.

I am wondering if anybody has heard of anybody getting denied medical clearance for taking antidepressants. I have been on a low dose of lexapro for 6 years and don't know whether or not it will cause any issues. I have heard of people getting denied PeaceCorps positions because they had a history of depression and/or were taking medication. I don't know how rigid fulbright is about these things. If anybody knows something about this topic, please let me know!! Thanks! Oh, and I got accepted as an ETA to Indonesia.

Congrats!! I also got accepted as a ETA to Indonesia!

I am not sure what are their standards for medical stuff, I think if your doctor resumes that you are in good health at the moment, it shouldn't be a problem.

Good Luck!

Hi everyone,

I just recently found this forum. I applied for a full Fulbright to Syria for next year. I noticed on the spreadsheet that someone wrote that they heard from Syria. Does anyone have any more information on that? Has anyone else heard? I know Jermaine Johnson is out of the office until Friday so no one can ask him. The waiting is killing me!

Thanks!

Have any SSA/South Africa alternates heard anything? I figure we might as well help each other out. Of course, if Jermaine is out of the office, I suppose we wouldn't hear anything this week. Has anyone gotten any information from their FPA? Good luck!

I received a Fulbright for Bangladesh; do you think they would allow me to leave by the middle of October, instead of the suggested August/September? I'd like to take the October LSAT if possible, and its not administered in Bangladesh.

I'd like to take the October LSAT; the suggested arrival time for my Fulbright full-grant to Bangladesh is August/September. Its not administered in Bangladesh at all, so I would have to travel to Singapore or India to take it.

Would it be possible for me to have an October departure? Cara Doble is out of the office for the week, and I have no received an email back from Jonathan. Any ideas, or advice?

Hi, I just found out about this site yesterday as I'm trying to reach out to fellow Fulbrighters. I received notification over a month ago and it still hasn't quite set in. I will be going to Croatia. =)

My question is....are there any other Croatia Fulbrighters here? I know there's only 2 more of you =) Where are you? I should've scrolled up before.....Hi AnthroLawyer. Are you going?! Congrats!!

Congratulations to all Fulbrighters!! Can't wait to see some of you in DC in July!!! =)

Edited by dvaisedam

Germany ETA-ers:

Did anyone who was assigned to Sachsen, find out which city they will be living in? I think most, if not all of the other states have notified their grantees about where they are going to be. Thanks!

Germany ETA-ers:

Did anyone who was assigned to Sachsen, find out which city they will be living in? I think most, if not all of the other states have notified their grantees about where they are going to be. Thanks!

And, to add to that, did any Berlin people get their placements?

Germany ETA-ers:

I'm going to Sachsen! No word yet though.