Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

By the way, Krisi, I am the other journalism person! Good luck with your application. I hope you get it! What do you plan to study/write about?

Hmm I hope Spain likes journalism... I'm a journalism person too! I'd be curious about your guys' proposals. You can e-mail me: sallyatiemadrid@gmail.com

Mine is about studying the "business of journalism"; its not a journalism project itself. I'll let y'all know if it works out :) I am still anxiously awaiting on a notification from Spain...

Edited by Sally

hey, were you the other journalism student (as specified in the spreadsheet)?

I got appointed as an alternate -- thinking journalism might not be the right target for New Zealand!

Hey, Krisi. I'm from Ohio too! Just saw you said that on the spreadsheet. You should definitely e-mail me!

Sally

sallyatiemadrid@gmail.com

Edited by Sally

I just got my letter of acceptance for Fulbright research grant to India!!!

Good luck to all of you!

Kartik

<br />Taiwan ETA applicants,<br /><br />Did any of you guys apply for a CLEA?  Do you know if we need to find a host university or anything like that before finding out our status?<br /><br />Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and good luck to those still waiting!!  Hang in there!<br /><br />-M<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hey Narak, I'm with you waiting on CLEA notification.

From what I understand the Taiwan Fulbright committee sets up all of the CLEA awards. I don't think we need to do anything at all. I'm really hoping that we hear soon.

Congrats Starfish21!

If any other Taiwan ETAs want to chat sometime, I just set up a new email: ahabtaiwan@gmail.com

I'm stoked to meet you all and get started on this fellowship! I'm finishing up my last week of undergrad but I can't stop looking up random facts about Taiwan.

Good luck to everyone still waiting! I just got accepted to China and applied for CLEA award. Does anyone know when we hear about those, and if it's via snail mail or email? I've already paid the deposit for my program and all, but I'm anxious to hear if I'm actually going to be able to enroll!

Mazel Tov! I was also awarded a Fulbright research grant and am waiting on the CLEA. What program did you apply to?

I contacted Jonathan and he said that we'd be emailed (hopefully) by the end of this week. Fingers crossed--good luck! Maybe we'll bump into one another in DC!

...just saw a post on the spread-sheet that someone contacted Jermaine Jones and that June might be a possibility for Egypt? My head might implode before then! ack!

I was hoping someone could help me.

Does anyone know what Fulbright's policies/regulations are regarding returning to the U.S. for a short visit if you pay for your own plane ticket? If you are overseas and need to come home for a few days for personal reasons is this a possibility as long as it does not interfere with your project and/or teaching duties? My thinking is that Fulbrighters have opportunities/breaks to travel out of their host countries to sight-see, but are there restrictions about returning to one's own country?

Any information someone can shed on this topic would be very helpful! Thanks!

Hi everyone. I found out today that I received a full grant to Nepal! I am thrilled and so excited. Congrats to all who are hearing good news, and I hope that other grand things are in store for those who aren't!

Found out today that I got the Fulbright for China. I also applied for the CLEA - CET Harbin anyone?

Yup, I applied for CET Harbin. I hope we find out about if we got the CLEA or not so I finally have a reason to pay my application fee!

Mazel Tov! I was also awarded a Fulbright research grant and am waiting on the CLEA. What program did you apply to?

I contacted Jonathan and he said that we'd be emailed (hopefully) by the end of this week. Fingers crossed--good luck! Maybe we'll bump into one another in DC!

Congrats to you, too! Where will you be in China? I'll be in Kunming.

That's amazing that we'll be hearing by this week, thanks for the info!!! I'm so excited to hear..I applied for the Middlebury-CET program in Kunming. Looks like most people applied to Harbin on this board, though. I've had to fill out a lot of forms already for the program, so it'll be a little sad if I end up not being able to go!

By the way, Krisi, I am the other journalism person! Good luck with your application. I hope you get it! What do you plan to study/write about?

I was looking to do a study on how politicians use social media during an election/campaign, and how their usage affects the political perceptions of voters (2011 is an election year in NZ). & thanks! I hope I get it, too, but I got my first job offer in NYC and that's exciting too (though understandably less so, haha), so I'm trying not to be too bummed out it!

SPAIN UPDATE!

ETA letters were sent out on either Monday or Tuesday of this week. (Rachel said Monday, but I think she might have been mistaken, since yesterday - Tuesday - morning she said they hadn't been sent yet.. )

Full grant letters are expected to go out next week... *maybe* on Tuesday (4/27) -- but Rachel says that is "not a promise."

Congrats to you, too! Where will you be in China? I'll be in Kunming.

That's amazing that we'll be hearing by this week, thanks for the info!!! I'm so excited to hear..I applied for the Middlebury-CET program in Kunming. Looks like most people applied to Harbin on this board, though. I've had to fill out a lot of forms already for the program, so it'll be a little sad if I end up not being able to go!

Hopefully so! To all China CLEA people, what Jonathan wrote was: "The CLEA notifications will probably go out at the end of this week and they will be via e-mail."

So no promises, but hopefully?

Seems like everyone is doing CET-Harbin, but that's too cold for my blood (I was going to apply to the summer program but they cancelled it)! I applied to C.V.-Starr Middlebury program in Hangzhou and was accepted, so now I just have to wait and see if I can actually go. It was a bit of paperwork, but at least they've been really nice about letting me wait on the deposit!

Good luck to everyone!

SPAIN UPDATE!

ETA letters were sent out on either Monday or Tuesday of this week. (Rachel said Monday, but I think she might have been mistaken, since yesterday - Tuesday - morning she said they hadn't been sent yet.. )

Full grant letters are expected to go out next week... *maybe* on Tuesday (4/27) -- but Rachel says that is "not a promise."

I think I speak for all full grant applicants when I say the following:

GODDAMNITALLTOHELL!!!!!!!!!! I want to know NOW!

I am currently an alternate for the full grant to Germany and I a strange letter was mailed to my permanent address today...

This letter was from the German Fulbright panel in Bonn (instead of the IIE, where the notification letters were sent from) and basically reiterated my alternate status, however ending the letter with a request for response by the 30th of April as to whether or not I am still interested in the Fulbright full grant. I find this strange only because, as stated in the original alternate letter from the IIE, alternates should only receive additional notice if they have been moved up to principal status.

Unfortunately, I am not living at my permanent address, so I do not have the original letter and its exact language in front of me, but I am curious if any other full grant alternates, for Germany or any other country, have received a secondary letter like this and if anyone could lend some insight.

Thank you!

Alternates, take heart!

I, too, was an alternate for the Full Grant to Germany, and just found out yesterday that I have been promoted to receive the award.

Oddly enough, I first received a hard copy of the letter in the mail yesterday, and this morning received an email. I wasn't expecting to hear through snail mail, so it threw me for a loop! The letter was sent to my current address.

The wait is long and painful, and it's incredibly hard to be stuck in limbo as an alternate. Good luck to all of you- and remember that perserverance is truly important! This is my second attempt at a Fulbright, and I was already preparing to write a new proposal for next year. I have friends who received a grant on their third and even fifth try!

Hi All, I just found out I got a full grant to India. So I'll be in Mumbai this upcoming year.

And also, for those of you who did not get the grant: in 2006 I applied for the Fulbright, was a finalist and was then rejected. And this year I received it. So reapplying is definitely worth your while!

Cheers!

Alternate Questions:

(1.) IF an alternate is to be selected as a principle grantee, does Fulbright have a standard way of informing (via snail-mail, e-mail, or phone)?

(2.) Time-frame? I talked to Rachel regarding when we may hear back and she said to realistically hold tight for another month (from date of when I found out about alternate status). Yet, she went on to mention that she’s had experience informing Croatia-applicants (as I specifically asked about that) as late as August (and into the fall). What do you all consider as a realistic and general time-frame?

* Someone here noted that countries have approximately 3 alternates in waiting, however I was informed that Croatia has about ~10 alternates in line, and that mere “ranking” on this list is not necessarily the main determining factor in moving to principle status.

Thanks for the previous response re : grant/fellowship/other alternatives to Fulbright!

Hoping for the best (Fulbright or other grand endeavors) to all!

Tough but critical to keep our heads up ... :)

Edited by Ms. Foucault

I noticed on the spreadsheet and last year's Fulbright forum that the time line for Alternates to Acceptance can vary. From two weeks to a month. I also called Rachel to find out about the Alternate wait list for Lithuania. I'm one of two for the country but she couldn't give me a ranking system.

I noticed on the spreadsheet and last year's Fulbright forum that the time line for Alternates to Acceptance can vary. From two weeks to a month. I also called Rachel to find out about the Alternate wait list for Lithuania. I'm one of two for the country but she couldn't give me a ranking system.

Do you mind linking to the forum/spreadsheet from last year? I'm interested!

Do you mind linking to the forum/spreadsheet from last year? I'm interested!

Here's the forum: They didn't have a spreadsheet. I suppose we could make one but it wouldn't be as accurate as ours.

Hi GradCafe,

I've never used this site before, but I've also applied for a 2010-2011 Fulbright Full Grant and the wait is starting to make me crazy. So I figured I'd sign up and scratch the crazy itch with some other people who are in the same boat.

This is my first year applying, but I'm trying to wrap my head around the prospect of applying again next year if I don't get it this year. Those of you who applied multiple times: did you apply to the same country with the same proposal and the same letters of affiliation? Or did you completely change your proposal the second (or third) time around?

Thanks! :) Hopefully we'll all get good news.

Hi GradCafe,

I've never used this site before, but I've also applied for a 2010-2011 Fulbright Full Grant and the wait is starting to make me crazy. So I figured I'd sign up and scratch the crazy itch with some other people who are in the same boat.

This is my first year applying, but I'm trying to wrap my head around the prospect of applying again next year if I don't get it this year. Those of you who applied multiple times: did you apply to the same country with the same proposal and the same letters of affiliation? Or did you completely change your proposal the second (or third) time around?

Thanks! :) Hopefully we'll all get good news.

I've applied twice for the grant, and was a finalist both times. I actually had a different project and therefore a different affiliation. The first time applied I had just finished my bachelor's degree and it was just a research project I became interested while doing a research paper. And the second time it was my dissertation proposal. But the reason I changed my affiliation was because the first was with a Women's University that did women and gender studies (which was the topic of my first paper). The second time, gender was not the predominant theme of my research so it made sense to change it. Also, I had developed a relationship over the past 2-3 years with the woman who wrote my affiliation letter the second time around.

I hope that helps! Good luck this time around, and hopefully you won't have to go through the process of reapplying. But it's always good to know this isn't your only shot!