Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

I found out that I'm an alternate yesterday. I'm treating it like a rejection and moving on. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

I get annoyed when people tell me this too but it makes sense. If you were chosen as a finalist..an alternate for the Fulbright it means that strangers sees your potential and worth. So even without the research grant I'm sure you'll end up somewhere that makes you happy.

This goes for all the Fulbright Finalists who may not end up with the grant =)

Hey all -- JUST discovered this forum, how did I not know about this?!

Received status as an "alternate" to the New Zealand program on Saturday (I updated the spreadsheet). Haven't seen any other hopeful New Zealanders on here?!

Very sad, but trying to quickly move on. What's meant to be, will be!

To Turkey ETA Finalists,

Bad news....actually horrible news.

I talked to Rachel Holskin today to ask her when we should expect a respond. She responded, "I don't know."

She commented that the Turkish Commission is still working on getting placements for ETA. From her personal position, she estimated that it might be 2-3 more weeks. Wow!?

This limbo process is absolutely menacing, tantalizing, and upsetting.

[From now on, I'm gonna plan and act as if I got a Fulbright rejection, so I can better prepare myself for my future.]

Thanks ced5220 for this update. So torturous indeed! I know there's nothing anyone at Fulbright can do to speed up the process and I'm in no way bitter (it is what it is), but man 2-3 more weeks is a long time! Did you get any sense from Rachel what the hold up is? Do you think it's a money issue, and that maybe they won't be able to take as many people as they originally planned? Or is it just that for whatever reason it's taking a long time for them to get throught the decision process, and it doesn't have anything to do with funding or other potential problems? Obviously there's no point in speculating if she didn't provide any info besides what you've already reported, but I can't help but be curious....

Thanks ced5220 for this update. So torturous indeed! I know there's nothing anyone at Fulbright can do to speed up the process and I'm in no way bitter (it is what it is), but man 2-3 more weeks is a long time! Did you get any sense from Rachel what the hold up is? Do you think it's a money issue, and that maybe they won't be able to take as many people as they originally planned? Or is it just that for whatever reason it's taking a long time for them to get throught the decision process, and it doesn't have anything to do with funding or other potential problems? Obviously there's no point in speculating if she didn't provide any info besides what you've already reported, but I can't help but be curious....

StlLiz,

The only comment that Rachel relayed to me was they are working on getting placements [where ETA people will be assigned] in Turkey.

That is all I can say.

-AKS

Edited by ced5220

Has anyone heard any new info about the status of the rest of Central/South Asia???

I just did my weekly pestering of Cara and she said the decisions still aren't in for Central Asia. Can someone check in with her on Wednesday to get a mid-week update?

Has anyone heard any new info about the status of the rest of Central/South Asia???

Hi ChaiLatte, I'm a Bangladesh finalist and the last I heard from Cara was exactly one week ago (4/12)...She said: "We are still waiting on Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board approval on applications to Bangladesh as well as final budget decisions for 2011-2012 year. I can’t send out the notification letters until I have the green light on all sides and unfortunately, it is impossible for me to predict when this will happen."

I'm hoping (without any basis in fact) that Bangladesh decisions were sent out with the India ones. Where did you apply? Do you have any news more recent than mine?

Well I'll throw in my educated guesswork and conjecture into the conversation for good measure. I don't think that this is a funding issue because the new funding is jointly coming from the U.S. and Turkey. I think the problem is that they need to come up with placements for 35 of us instead of the original 10 (all outside of Istanbul and Ankara at universities that want and can use ETAs). I think the logistics of it are huge and the Fulbright offices in Istanbul and Ankara are rather small to handle it at the moment given all the work they have unrelated to our grants. There also is a new director of the Fulbright in Ankara. Maybe tha complicates things? Honestly, I don't know - the waiting is awful. I'm sure they're trying to sort things out as fast as they can, and at least there are more spots now.

StlLiz,

The only comment that Rachel relayed to me was they are working on getting placements [where ETA people will be assigned] in Turkey.

That is all I can say.

-AKS

got a letter from fulbright. been rejected for a full grant to india. so this year was marked by complete rejections across the board. fantastic.

best of luck to everyone else. if you get it enjoy the experience for me :)

Edited by Certain_Entropy

After checking my mail 3 times today I finally got my Fulbright letter. I'm an Alternate. I guess it's a week more of waiting to see if any of the Principal candidates decline.

More than a week probably. The principles have three weeks to decide, and even after that there could be more money floating around. Plus IIE won't contact us unless we get it.

Two UC PhD students, with full dissertation proposals, fluent in Chinese, and verified affiliations in Beijing both marked as "alternates" to China. Can someone who does get one please let us know your backgrounds and status? Our advisers are baffled. Thanks.

Well I'll throw in my educated guesswork and conjecture into the conversation for good measure. I don't think that this is a funding issue because the new funding is jointly coming from the U.S. and Turkey. I think the problem is that they need to come up with placements for 35 of us instead of the original 10 (all outside of Istanbul and Ankara at universities that want and can use ETAs). I think the logistics of it are huge and the Fulbright offices in Istanbul and Ankara are rather small to handle it at the moment given all the work they have unrelated to our grants. There also is a new director of the Fulbright in Ankara. Maybe tha complicates things? Honestly, I don't know - the waiting is awful. I'm sure they're trying to sort things out as fast as they can, and at least there are more spots now.

Sounds like a good explanation--and one that will hopefully work in our favor. The wait does suck, but I'm taking it as a character-building experience. Plus, I thought it was placement for 50 this year?

Sounds like a good explanation--and one that will hopefully work in our favor. The wait does suck, but I'm taking it as a character-building experience. Plus, I thought it was placement for 50 this year?

Thanks for the input all. The comment about the increased number of people needing to be placed and the size of the offices totally makes sense. With somewhere between 35 and 50 needing placement, I can definitely understand what a massive logistics snafu this must be. Well, we continue to wait! Character building indeed SVN! I'm pretty well past the freak out stage at this point. I was checking my mailbox/inbox obsessively for a little while, but I've figured out how to live my life without refreshing every two minutes (mostly! :D)

Here's to hoping for us all!

got a letter from fulbright. been rejected for a full grant to india. so this year was marked by complete rejections across the board. fantastic.

best of luck to everyone else. if you get it enjoy the experience for me :)

I'm so sorry, Certain_Entropy. All I can say is I wish you the absolute best in your future endeavors!

best of luck to everyone else. if you get it enjoy the experience for me smile.gif

so sorry to hear that, entropy..... when it rains it seriously pours, esp with rejections.

Edited by nescafe

sadly, i will not be going to new zealand next year. oh well, everything happens for a reason!

good luck to everyone and have a wonderful fulbright experience!!

hey, were you the other journalism student (as specified in the spreadsheet)?

I got appointed as an alternate -- thinking journalism might not be the right target for New Zealand!

hey, were you the other journalism student (as specified in the spreadsheet)?

I got appointed as an alternate -- thinking journalism might not be the right target for New Zealand!

no, my project was about gifted education in k-12 schools. as sad as i am about it, i would have had to take a year off of work (i teach 6th grade) to go to nz. of course, i would have gladly done it, but with the teaching profession these days jobs are not too stable. maybe it worked out for the best. interesting about the journalism theory! :o)

GOOD LUCK!!!