Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

I just called Jonathan. China applicants: letters were sent out this week! OMG we'll find out next week!!!!

GAH--For real?? Earlier posts said the 30th! So assuming all goes as planned, we should be getting letters to our mailing address, not our permanent, right?

Anyone else apply to a Fall semester CLEA grant after they cancelled Harbin? I wonder when we'd find out about that (should we be so lucky!)

Ah I'm so sad

I got my Alternate status letter today...

So what are the chances the alternates get up to principal status? I'm trying to stay hopeful here

Welcome to the alternate party. *hands a beer*

We've got about a 1 in 3 shot at this point. It comes down to a)how many people decide to accept grants and b)if the countries get more money. Just try to relax and not worry about it; you never know when we may hear back.

GAH--For real?? Earlier posts said the 30th! So assuming all goes as planned, we should be getting letters to our mailing address, not our permanent, right?

Anyone else apply to a Fall semester CLEA grant after they cancelled Harbin? I wonder when we'd find out about that (should we be so lucky!)

I applied for a fall CLEA grant to Harbin, but I'm having a tough time finishing up the application for it. It seems like a lot of tedious paperwork and I just am struggling with the motivation to finish it up..

I applied for a fall CLEA grant to Harbin, but I'm having a tough time finishing up the application for it. It seems like a lot of tedious paperwork and I just am struggling with the motivation to finish it up..

Me three. I'm putting off doing the required essay until I hear back on the CLEA. Yeah, I know it's due soon, but I think it's unfair to ask for all this paperwork and a non-refundable application fee AND deposit for an expensive program, when we don't even have a clue if we got a Fulbright or not. Dawn from CET Harbin called me earlier this week about my "unfinished application" on their website. I can't afford going to Harbin if I don't get a Fulbright CLEA. If I am lucky enough to be one of the award winners, but not get a CLEA, my back-up plan at this point is to attend one of the TLI-affiliated schools in Beijing or hire an IUP teacher to tutor me on the side (some will 'unofficially' do this for pocket money). Either way, I would like the Fulbright as much as anyone else on this board, CLEA or not!!!

Welcome to the alternate party. *hands a beer*

We've got about a 1 in 3 shot at this point. It comes down to a)how many people decide to accept grants and b)if the countries get more money. Just try to relax and not worry about it; you never know when we may hear back.

I emailed the program manager today to ask about alternate listing and flatly denied an answer.

"No, IIE cannot provide additional information on the Alternate list."

I'm going to try to stay positive but it fucking kills me that I was thisclose.

Being an alternate is like being in purgatory. Hahaha melodramatic much?

Hopefully money won't be wasted on scholars bringing over their significant others or other misc budget draining situations so some of us can go on to do research..

Good luck all!

How are you keeping it together?

1. Starbucks

2. Chocolate and Ice Cream

3. Facebook

4. Putting wayyy too much effort into current schoolwork

5. KEEP IT GOING

Baskin Robbins Chocolate Ice Cream Cake.

Celebrating alternate status/feeling sorry for myself!

How do you guys feel about starting a second sheet on the spreadsheet for alternates so we can identify who got promoted to principal status? It would be add another dimension of helpfulness to future applicants and more importantly, help current finalists informed.

How do you guys feel about starting a second sheet on the spreadsheet for alternates so we can identify who got promoted to principal status? It would be add another dimension of helpfulness to future applicants and more importantly, help current finalists informed.

You could just start a second "Sheet" on the same spreadsheet. We could also just come up with a new color code for people who where promoted to accepted status. Most people in that situation made note of it on the spreadsheet already.

Hopefully money won't be wasted on scholars bringing over their significant others or other misc budget draining situations so some of us can go on to do research..

For some people with families doing a Fulbright wouldn't be possible if not for the dependent benefit. So, it's enabling research to be done either way. Hopefully some people who get awards will just drop out because they come across an even better opportunity :)

For some people with families doing a Fulbright wouldn't be possible if not for the dependent benefit. So, it's enabling research to be done either way. Hopefully some people who get awards will just drop out because they come across an even better opportunity :)

I just happened to read IE in Madrid on your leftbar. Are you still planning to study in Spain even without the grant? What are you planning to study?

I just happened to read IE in Madrid on your leftbar. Are you still planning to study in Spain even without the grant? What are you planning to study?

I applied to the "business" Fulbright to Spain. The grant would go toward getting an MBA at IE Business School. My going to Spain is mostly contingent on the award. Otherwise I'd have to find another way to pay the tuition, living expenses, etc.

Edited by Sally

Question for the India Fulbrighters:

I'm a finalist for a full fellowship to India, and my partner (long term, essentially fiance) is planning on joining me if I hear that I'm lucky enough to win (Cara told me this morning that we should hear within 1 week!!!). We will not be married by the fall however-- if she does not have a job lined up at the outset of the visa application process, does anyone know if she has any chance of being able to stay in India for the entirety of my fellowship? Or is her best chance to receive a 6-month tourist visa?

Thanks!

Would love any advice on navigating these sorts of practical matters!

I suspect the tourist visa might be the only way to go, but I really don't know. What I do know, however, is that in December of 2009 they changed the entry policy for tourist visas. If you are on a tourist visa to India if you leave the country you cannot re-enter until after two months have passed, which if she's planning on staying with you the whole time, she won't be able to re-enter for a couple of months. (People used to just hop over to Thailand for a week and then come back because on an Indian tourist visa you can't stay more than 6 months at a time.) Though this has been quite controversial here, but I suspect nothing will be done about it in time to do any of us any good. I hope this is a little useful to you!

On another note about partners, does your dependent need to be an American citizen as well, or is that irrelevant for dependent allowances?

Cheers!

You should really keep in mind that not all Fulbright applicants are fresh out of undergrad. Many are much older and in very different places in our lives. Try to have at least a little respect for those with spouses/families. And I don't know if you've seen the dependent allowance, but it's certainly not enough to fund YOUR Fulbright. I think the purpose of the board is to offer encouragement and support, and I, for one, would like to keep it that way.

You should really keep in mind that not all Fulbright applicants are fresh out of undergrad. Many are much older and in very different places in our lives. Try to have at least a little respect for those with spouses/families. And I don't know if you've seen the dependent allowance, but it's certainly not enough to fund YOUR Fulbright. I think the purpose of the board is to offer encouragement and support, and I, for one, would like to keep it that way.

Well said rach2010, I couldn't agree with you more! I was quite shocked by holahnyoung's audacious comment and would like to remind him/ her that the Fulbright Program managers are well aware of this forum (as stated in an earlier post) and I suggest that this board should be reserved for positive and encouraging posts.

Well said rach2010, I couldn't agree with you more! I was quite shocked by holahnyoung's audacious comment and would like to remind him/ her that the Fulbright Program managers are well aware of this forum (as stated in an earlier post) and I suggest that this board should be reserved for positive and encouraging posts.

As one of the older applicants to Fulbright, I also agree. I may not have a family or a spouse who's coming with me (he has a job and he's going to stay behind... it's not going to be easy to do that), but I think that many PhD students like myself have spent years (YEARS!) working in a profession and/or in a field or on a project that is very worth of a Fulbright. I don't know if I got a Fulbright, but I have poured years of my time and money (and loans for studying abroad and language classes in China and Taiwan) to get to this point.

Spain update:

As we all know, Spain chose too many principal grantees. Lauren reports that Fulbright was NOT able to secure funding to cover these folks, as was once hoped. Now, the baton has been handed back to the Spanish Commission, and they were asked to choose which three people to downgrade to "alternate" or "rejected" status. So, now the wait is back on.. and there is no estimate for when we might get our notifications.

However, Lauren said she had asked about ETA applications. It is unclear whether this status applies to full grant applications as well. If anyone has information about that please let us know!!

Thanks,

Sally.

Wait... so are you saying that the three extra grantees who were selected were ETA applicants, not full grant applicants?

Wait... so are you saying that the three extra grantees who were selected were ETA applicants, not full grant applicants?

I said that it is "unclear" whether they are ETAs or both ETAs and Full grantees. All the people who have called/e-mailed rachel about this so far are ETA applicants and did not ask specifically about full grants. However, I sent Rachel an e-mail on Friday afternoon, so hopefully she'll let us know on Monday. Although, I guess it doesn't really matter... we'll hear when we'll hear!

I noticed that they've split apart Europe into the categories of Eastern Europe/Eurasia and Western Europe in the Competition Statistics section. https://us.fulbrightonline.org/statistics_country_europe.html But they haven't done so in Country Summaries. https://us.fulbrightonline.org/program_regions_world.html I wonder if they're going to treat Eastern Europe as a separate region next year with a new Program Manager?

I was a Poland alternate for about three weeks before being moved to principal status five days ago.

You should put that on the spreadsheet. make your status a special bright green and have it say something like "alternate turned accepted" (I'm open to suggestions for a more concise way to put that).

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Avu5CeaRG24EdGFXVzh4aUt2ZTFUbTZPdzZiSGRoWUE&hl=en