Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

I'm waiting for final word for an ETA in Bosnia but I'm currently living in China so Rachel Holskin e-mailed me April 9th to ask for an address in the U.S. to send the FSB letter so I think that goes in line with what you all have been saying about April 15th. It sounds like those that have been accepted received big manila envelopes, does that mean that the whole "big envelope = yes and small envelope = no" still rings true?

I'm waiting for final word for an ETA in Bosnia but I'm currently living in China so Rachel Holskin e-mailed me April 9th to ask for an address in the U.S. to send the FSB letter so I think that goes in line with what you all have been saying about April 15th. It sounds like those that have been accepted received big manila envelopes, does that mean that the whole "big envelope = yes and small envelope = no" still rings true?

Going by what's been posted on the spreadsheet, it appears that every country is different. There's a pretty wide variety of envelope types and sizes, so it's probably not good to draw conclusions before opening a smaller letter. Also, some people received packets or medical forms and others did not. It's yet another aspect of the Fulbright application experience that holds mystery!

I never imagined that I would be waiting nervously for mail delivery, but since Thursday the anxiety has multiplied. I feel nutty! Hope this is the week, and it looks like for more than a few of us, it will be...

Wait, does this mean that we won't get any email confirmation? I am supposed to make a decision on funding to UCLA's Biomathematics program by 15 April, so if they send out snail mail letters on Tuesday then I won't have time to ask for a deferral!

good luck to all, and a special good luck to those who must make final decisions by this week...

KLK

KLK,

I had the same issue. I told my grad program last week about my Fulbright situation and asked for a deadline extension on my decision. They extended it to April 30 for me. It's worth asking UCLA if they'd do the same for you. If you live on the East Coast, you might get your letter on the 15th... but it's cutting it close. If you live in California, I imagine it would take longer, though.

Also, that's right about the snail mail. My understanding, from what Rachel has said, is that letters for Spain will be sent out by snail mail to our CURRENT address.. likely on Tuesday. No e-mails will be sent.

Has anyone gotten an update on whether Tuesday, in fact, will be the day?

Edited by Sally

KLK,

I had the same issue. I told my grad program last week about my Fulbright situation and asked for a deadline extension on my decision. They extended it to April 30 for me. It's worth asking UCLA if they'd do the same for you. If you live on the East Coast, you might get your letter on the 15th... but it's cutting it close. If you live in California, I imagine it would take longer, though.

Also, that's right about the snail mail. My understanding, from what Rachel has said, is that letters for Spain will be sent out by snail mail to our CURRENT address.. likely on Tuesday. No e-mails will be sent.

Has anyone gotten an update on whether Tuesday, in fact, will be the day?

When I was worried that I wouldn't receive notification from Fulbright before I had to tell my job whether or not I would be staying on for another year, I e-mailed Rachel Holskin and explained to her the situation. She said that she could tell me if I received the grant or not once the letters were sent out. So, if in fact they will be issuing decisions for Spain this Tuesday, you can call Rachel on Tuesday or Wednesday and see if she will let you know whether or not you got it over the phone.

German ETAers,

Have you guys written PAD and Fulbright Kommission to confirm your interest yet? If yes, did they respond? I wrote them on the 7th and haven't heard anything back -- I was just wondering if this was normal.

Edited by awkjones

Has anyone been told about their CLEA status??? I'm applying for China. Do we find out before, with or after notification of the full grant?

Hey zazabell, I think we find out about CLEA after our full grant notification. That's what I understood from reading last year's Fulbright thread. What program are you applying to? I applied to CET Harbin.

GauxGaux made an interesting point on the spreadsheet: No ETA applicants have been rejected so far (of those who have posted.) All were either accepted or made alternates. Several full grant applicants were rejected though.

GauxGaux made an interesting point on the spreadsheet: No ETA applicants have been rejected so far (of those who have posted.) All were either accepted or made alternates. Several full grant applicants were rejected though.

I think it's because of the new ETA programs.

Looking at the updated Country Statistics, they list new ETA programs and with "NA" for the number of applicants, along with this caveat: NA = New Program for 2010-2011. Grantees selected from alternates to other ETA countries.

You can look at Europe's for an example:

https://us.fulbrightonline.org/statistics_country_europe.html

My question is: are these new grants counted in the "grant totals" at the bottom of the Country Statistics table? If they are, definitely it changes the odds.

German ETAers,

Have you guys written PAD and Fulbright Kommission to confirm your interest yet? If yes, did they respond? I wrote them on the 7th and haven't heard anything back -- I was just wondering if this was normal.

I wrote to both of them around the same time you did and they haven't responded yet. Hopefully it's normal! :D

For the other alternates out there - there is a small "AL-1"in the bottom left of my letter. Does this mean that I am ranked as the first alternate? Does every letter have this number on it?

I think it's just the form number since all alternates have the same letter. I also had AL-1, and from what I saw from last year's thread, so did all the other alternates. Lots of people on alternate status heard back mid to late April, so there's still hope!

Hey everyone: General Question regarding the ETAs

I applied to the India ETA this year but was unfortunately rejected. I'm wondering if I should reapply next year and would like everyone's input. Here's my take: I have an extremely strong teaching background. I've taught English classes for middle and high school students who were from non-English speaking backgrounds as well as tons of private tutoring. In addition, I've taught 3 semesters of a sophomore level biology course in College as the primary teaching assistant (overall I've had over 500 students). I'm graduating with a BA in Art History and Archaeology as well as a BS in Neurobiology/Physiology.

The Fulbright coordinator at my university told me that for ETAs, an English or Education major is preferred but I called Cara Doble (the regional program director) and she said the FSB looks for this sort of diverse background which is probably why I was recommended to the host country. However, this is pure speculation, I think because my nationality is Chinese, I was not looked upon favorably by the decision makers in India. I mean, I do kind of understand if they feel kind of "uneasy" in letting a Chinese person teach English in India. I am extremely fascinated with India and would definitely want to go there to teach, but I don't want to be involved with this excruciatingly slow process again only to be rejected again.....

What do you guys think?

Thanks a ton.

I think it's because of the new ETA programs.

Looking at the updated Country Statistics, they list new ETA programs and with "NA" for the number of applicants, along with this caveat: NA = New Program for 2010-2011. Grantees selected from alternates to other ETA countries.

You can look at Europe's for an example:

https://us.fulbright...try_europe.html

My question is: are these new grants counted in the "grant totals" at the bottom of the Country Statistics table? If they are, definitely it changes the odds.

Yes, that makes sense. I think they might also just need more ETA reserves, since some might turn down a Fulbright to teach if they have another opportunity. But few of us would turn down an opportunity to do our dream research!

Edit: Actually, I just noticed that Kevin posted above that he was an ETA applicant for India and got a rejection :( So, there goes that theory. Still, there seem to be fewer ETAS getting flat out rejections, at least in Europe. We'll see. Here's some more prolificating on this topic, cut and pasted from the spreadsheet... I'm trying to clear out some old Spain convo so we have room for new updates:

This is just completely random and perhaps slightly stupid--but, it seems to me that no ETA's have been rejected so far. Everyone listed on this spreadsheet has indicated that they were either accepted or declared an alternate. I guess that's good news for the rest of us that our waiting. Maybe. Lol. Again, completely random and perhaps slightly stupid. ~GauxGaux

-----------------------

That's an interesting point, Gaux Gaux. Although it doesn't help me (as a full grant applicant ) :P Not a stupid observation at all! It could be that the ETAs are more likely to back out than a full grant applicant, so they need more reserves? Not sure. Just one hypothesis!- Sally

-----------------------

I think the ETA thing might be because of the new ETA programs listed on the updated "Country Statistics" page on the Fulbright website. Several countries have ETA programs that are listed as "NA," meaning new for this year and will have alternates from ETA programs selected for it. --C

Edited by Sally

To my fellow Taiwan applicants: I contacted Jonathan about our notifications this morning, and he responded with the email below. Only a little bit more waiting! Fingers crossed!

We are hoping that the notification letters for Taiwan will go out at the end of this week or early next week and they will be sent to the current address listed on the Fulbright application.

Sincerely,

Jonathan

Edited by pomchem

To my fellow Taiwan applicants: I contacted Jonathan about our notifications this morning, and he responded with the email below. Only a little bit more waiting! Fingers crossed!

We are hoping that the notification letters for Taiwan will go out at the end of this week or early next week and they will be sent to the current address listed on the Fulbright application.

Sincerely,

Jonathan

Anyone want to ask about China? (I'd ask, but I've already emailed him before twice)

Edited by d4zy588

4/8/10 - Turkey update from Rachel Holskin:

"Preliminary selections were submitted this morning. We’re now waiting on final confirmation of placements for the ETAs. I would expect we’ll send out notification letters next week."

Thanks for the update Wagwan. Post when you receive word- I'll do the same. Here's to hoping!

Yes, that makes sense. I think they might also just need more ETA reserves, since some might turn down a Fulbright to teach if they have another opportunity. But few of us would turn down an opportunity to do our dream research!

Edit: Actually, I just noticed that Kevin posted above that he was an ETA applicant for India and got a rejection :( So, there goes that theory. Still, there seem to be fewer ETAS getting flat out rejections, at least in Europe. We'll see. Here's some more prolificating on this topic, cut and pasted from the spreadsheet... I'm trying to clear out some old Spain convo so we have room for new updates:

This is just completely random and perhaps slightly stupid--but, it seems to me that no ETA's have been rejected so far. Everyone listed on this spreadsheet has indicated that they were either accepted or declared an alternate. I guess that's good news for the rest of us that our waiting. Maybe. Lol. Again, completely random and perhaps slightly stupid. ~GauxGaux

-----------------------

That's an interesting point, Gaux Gaux. Although it doesn't help me (as a full grant applicant ) :P Not a stupid observation at all! It could be that the ETAs are more likely to back out than a full grant applicant, so they need more reserves? Not sure. Just one hypothesis!- Sally

-----------------------

I think the ETA thing might be because of the new ETA programs listed on the updated "Country Statistics" page on the Fulbright website. Several countries have ETA programs that are listed as "NA," meaning new for this year and will have alternates from ETA programs selected for it. --C

I still think the theory might stand. The three countries (India, Nepal and Sri Lanka) in the South/Central Area for the "Country Program" (Not "Regional Program") all have ETA programs already; thus, no new ones.

It seems odd, however, that they wouldn't consider all ETA alternates (regardless of region/country program distinction) for the new positions for the new ETA positions within the South/Central Asia "Regional Programs"

https://us.fulbrightonline.org/statistics_country_eastasia.html

Hey everyone: General Question regarding the ETAs

I applied to the India ETA this year but was unfortunately rejected. I'm wondering if I should reapply next year and would like everyone's input. Here's my take: I have an extremely strong teaching background. I've taught English classes for middle and high school students who were from non-English speaking backgrounds as well as tons of private tutoring. In addition, I've taught 3 semesters of a sophomore level biology course in College as the primary teaching assistant (overall I've had over 500 students). I'm graduating with a BA in Art History and Archaeology as well as a BS in Neurobiology/Physiology.

The Fulbright coordinator at my university told me that for ETAs, an English or Education major is preferred but I called Cara Doble (the regional program director) and she said the FSB looks for this sort of diverse background which is probably why I was recommended to the host country. However, this is pure speculation, I think because my nationality is Chinese, I was not looked upon favorably by the decision makers in India. I mean, I do kind of understand if they feel kind of "uneasy" in letting a Chinese person teach English in India. I am extremely fascinated with India and would definitely want to go there to teach, but I don't want to be involved with this excruciatingly slow process again only to be rejected again.....

What do you guys think?

Thanks a ton.

Sorry to hear. i feel your pain, rejection is a crappy process. you may be looking a bit too much into it. Apparently there were 99 applications for 15 spots, that's tight competition. I'm pretty sure its not because you're chinese, that seems a bit random. definately try again next year.

best of luck with your back up plans.

@ rest of India applicants. If you're interested in stipend info

ETA: http://www.usief.org.in/Scripts/ForU.SNationalsStudentandDoctoralResearchAwardsFulbright-NehruEnglishTeachingAssistantships.aspx

research grant: http://www.usief.org.in/Scripts/ForU.SNationalsStudentandDoctoralResearchAwardsFulbright-NehruStudentResearch.aspx

dissertation grant (Hays):http://www.usief.org.in/Scripts/ForU.SNationalsStudentandDoctoralResearchAwardsFulbright-HaysDoctoralDissertationResearchAbroad.aspx